“Fabulous Jazz Club”
Review of The Music Village

The Music Village
Ranked #16 of 101 Nightlife in Brussels
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Just what a jazz club should be!

Intimate dining experience, good food, good beer, great jazz

Personally I revelled in the fact that it is unpretentious. When the noise level occasionally peaked there was a chorus of "shush's", but at no point was I disturbed enough to not enjoy the music. Certainly the show my wife took me to for my birthday celebration was loud enough to compete and it just added to the atmosphere.

We got the impression that this is the sort of place that would keep serving beer while customers were willing to buy it. Great place. Wonderful place. Fabulous Jazz Club....place...

Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Having seen this place on the internet we decided to pop along on Saturday evening. It seems that (on this day at least) the performance was split into three sessions and the price was 18 euros. We arrived after the first session and found that the price was therefore reduced to 12 euros. Unfortunately because we were late the only seats available did not have sight of the stage so the price was halved. For 6 euros we had a great night. "Music Village" might give the impression that this is a large venue, it is not, it is a small club with one bar, but the music was excellent, the service good and we had a great evening.

1  Thank Geoff100Chap
Reviewed March 17, 2014

The above comment refers to the clash of good music versus noises from the bar and food area. Unlike some UK venues here there is constant service during sets that, combined with the noise of the food prep area, detracts from what is happening on the stage.
We greatly enjoyed listening to Roni Ben Hur but despite the quality of the music it constantly had to compete with 'noises off' which were a real distraction.
The venue is a great location just off the Grand Place with good atmosphere and tables crammed side by side which for this sort of place is just fine. Food was very good but extremely slow service despite getting to our table while the place was still almost empty. Do book, there is no charge.
Overall the performance was 3 sets and ran from 9 pm to mid night. Extremely good value jazz, food and drink at less than half the price of some London venues.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed in Brussels over Valentines weekend, Thursday 13th - Sunday 16th February. We went along on Thursday night to Mr Mo's soul night which was brilliant. The servers are most friendly.

We had such a good time that we went back for our last night on Saturday, which was Silvan Zingg's jazz band. One of the best nights ever, such a good atmosphere and so enjoyable. We did not eat here but the drinks are cheap! The Bulgarian waitress definitely made a lasting impression on us so we would like to thank her for that, if she remembers we were the ones from Wales, UK! :)

Reviewed December 23, 2013

I'm a lover of Jazz and my reviews could be slightly biased towards this outlet. I attended one of the performances here by Lollo Meier and his quintet and I must say I really enjoyed it. Excellent performance.

This review should be based on the location itself and not the performance. Location wise it is not too difficult to find. Just a short walk from the main shopping belt of Nieuwstraat and you will reach the place.

From the outside, it looks nothing impressive with a little overhead sign showing "The Music Village Jazz Club" and the entrance is a little inconspicuous to what will be revealed inside. Entering through the door, there will be a waiter / waitress who will ask if you have a reservation. We did have one and were ushered to our reserved seats. Unfortunately our reservation was a little late and we didn't get choice seats. We were obscured by a pillar throughout the performance. Nevertheless, the music was clear and the performance did justice to the venue. There was no audible echo despite the columns and hard surfaces around.

You need to place a reservation for the performance though. Don't have to pay for the reservation but be considerate and cancel the reservation if you cannot make it. There were others who placed reservation but didn't turn up so I moved to a better view after the first interval. There will still be inconsiderate people who make reservations and don't turn up.

The performance starts at 9pm so be sure to have plenty of rest the night before. It lasts til past 11pm so only those who really enjoy jazz will stay. I was one of them. During the second interval, some people started leaving for it was about 10.45pm already. So I shifted again for a better view.

Overall 4 stars for the jazzy atmosphere to fit the mood and the interior construct which made the experience enjoyable.