“Not impressed” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hemgie's - CLOSED

Hemgie's
Cuisines: American, Grill
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Asuncion, Paraguay
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,417 helpful votes
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

I had read somewhere that Hemgie's has the best hamburger in Brussels and went there to try. Actually this is more than an hamburger joint, as the menu looks more like a New York steakhouse kind of restaurant. In my opinion, the hamburger is definitely not the best in Brussels: they try to be different - and indeed they are - but not in the best of senses. The variations on the hamburger concept include one cheeseburger with Camembert and one with Stilton. I tried the Camembert one and it would just not taste right. On top of that, it doesn't keep together as the hot Camembert is too viscous and becomes slippery: results, the lower and upper half-buns go in all directions, but never in the same... Prices are quite high but probably justified as the quality of the meat seemed good and service is reasonably slow.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank apalmero

Brussels
“HEMGIE's got it right”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Behind some of the positive feedback on Tripadvisor, my wife and I went to lunch there earlier this week. What a pleasant time we spent there. Welcome was relaxed, pleasant and flexible. Service attentive and timely. The burgers we ordered were delicious and worth the (somewhat steep price. And the music was great and the right soundlevel to create the appropriate atmosphere. We'll be back with our boys soon. Keep it up, HEMGIE's, across all fronts

• Visited October 2012
St Kilda, Australia
“Greatest gourmet burger in Europe.... if not the world!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

We came to this delightful and classy burger restaurant two nights in a row. They were just the right size and full of delicious flavours. Would highly recommend the Mona Lisa burger, their suggested specials and onion rings.
Would also suggest you make a reservation on weekends and be prepared to spend 18 odd euros for this little piece of heaven. The staff were super friendly also!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Portsie
barnsley , yorkshire
“Best burger I've eaten ever !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Nice atmosphere and lovely decor , friendly service and fabulous food ! I was stuffed but my hubby managed to cram in a dessert which looked Devine . Would recommend to anyone but be aware not cheap , but like they say you get what you pay for !

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Best gourmet burger I've ever had (in the world).”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Let me make it clear. I'm completely biased when it comes to burgers. I love them any which way. We live in the U.S. so hamburgers are a bit of a staple. We've tried all different kinds of places (from fast food to drive-ins to sit down restaurants) from California to New York and I have to say Hemgie's takes the gold. Best. Burger. Ever. Everything about it was perfect. Case in point: the Hemgie's burger: toasted, fresh bun, crispy, snappy bacon, fresh lettuce, tomato, a pickle that was a bit sweet and salty, a beer battered onion ring both inside and on top, melted, dripping, gruyere (?) cheese, and a hunk of meat cooked supremely well (think medium rare). Plus homemade ketchup (and I usually dislike ketchup on my burgers). Add a side of perfectly crispy and light double-fried frites and homemade mayonnaise (hey, in Belgium do as the Belgiums do) and an Abbaye ale, and you've got yourself heaven on a bun.

The wife had the Miss Daisy, and it drove me past my euphoric point. It was better than mine.

Sidenote: we got lucky dropping in for a table of two. Small and cozy place, so would recommend reservations for larger parties.