“Overall good experience”

Ranked #83 of 127 Specialty Lodging in Brussels
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Overall good experience”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

My friend and I booked out trip to Brussels the night before departure so didn't really have much choice about where to stay but we were pleasantly surprised.

The area was good it was 15 minutes to the centre of town, the buses and metros and cheap and frequent, plenty of shops, restaurants & cafes nearby. The locals were friendly and helpful and we always felt safe no matter what time we were out.

We found the staff very nice and helpful especially the two men working the bar and the two women on reception. The main house (reception/bar/kitchen) was nice and the beer was very cheap (€1.50 for a bottle of Jupiler). We stayed in house 13 in a 6 bed dorm and found it to be adequate and clean. Problems: only one power point for 6 people, no access to one of the top bunk beds because the stairs were blocked by another bed and no shower heads.

The atmosphere at the hostel during our stay was great and we met some really nice people, I would stay here again if in Brussels.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
connecticut
Reviewed November 8, 2011

This hostel is disgusting. Their staff is extremely disrespectful and totally incompetent. They took my passport when I arrived very late at night because they were not accepting payments at that time. Ridiculous.The next morning my passport was gone. They had no explanation to where it was and offered no compensation for my loss. I had to go all the way to the US Embassy and get a brand new passport, thus missing my flight and having to purchase a new one. Plus this hostel is extremely dirty. Carpets in the main building are filthy and the floor caves in at times and feels like it's going to give way under your feet. The beds are old and the mattresses are damp. The rooms are falling apart with cracks in the walls and paint chipping. Bathrooms/showers are dirty and musty. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank lousypictures

Travelers are raving about these Brussels hotels

Paris, France
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I chose to stay here following reading a good review and initially had a good opinion of the place, the double room my partner and I booked was large and clean and seemingly safe.
It was a bit of a hike to any attractions though, and almost straight away we had issues with the lock on our door.
You are woken up well before check out time and asked to leave so the rooms can be cleaned which was annoying, we had to show a receipt to prove we were staying another night.
On the final morning I was woken up by someone opening the door to the room and yelled at them, they ran off but surprise surprise i discovered some of my belongings had been stolen when I was packing up. The staff at the reception were nice enough when I complained but said this had been happening every morning (we weren't even warned about this) but the manager didn't even bother coming out to talk to me until I returned with a police officer to make an ID on the CCTV footage. No offer to refund our stay was made.
I would never return to this hostel again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2011

clean and very home like. cozy common area, cheap beer and good music. defnatliy recommend.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank kathrynnr
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We arrived in the hostel late at night and were served quickly however the reception staff were very rude, and they remained this way throughout our stay. The room was basic and had no lockers, so as it was a shared room security was an issue. The beds were very loud and if you even moved it would make a horrible sound. The shared kitchen was very nice as was the downstairs area. The atmosphere was good but I think that was more down to the people we met. The Hostel was close to the main sights in Brussels including grand place, they were within walking distance. The train station was also close, There was a supermarket just around the corner. The breakfast was included and was basic but all you needed to set you up for the day. I wouldn't choose to stay here again but I think its fine for people on a budget.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shar1906
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Overall this was a decent hostel, certainly nothing awful about it. Security was a big issue for us, as there were no lockers in the rooms, and when the window in the room was open (there was no a/c) you could reach in and open the door from the outside.

There was a fully equipped kitchen, which was great. There was also a cheap bar that served drinks every night until late.

Wifi access was quite pricey, not accessible in the rooms just in the lobby. There were also computers available at a cost.

The location was very close to red light district, and in my opinion not the greatest area. There were a few restaurants/cafes down the road, and a supermarket was a 1 minute walk.

Breakfast was included, and offered 5 slices of bread/toast, spreads, cornflakes, cheese, and coffee/tea/juice/chocolate.

Another negative was that our room was across a courtyard and upstairs, and toilets were a walk outside (not fun in the rain at night). Only one outside toilet worked, so you would need to walk even further to the lobby to use the toilet.

The shower block was fairly average, didn't seem that clean, and had a push shower that only stayed on for about 10 seconds at a time. Not much room to keep anything dry in there with you.

Overall, fairly average hostel, but fairly cheap.

Room Tip: Don't be in Room 1!