“Had better”

Ranked #78 of 198 Hotels in Brussels
Montreal, Canada
“Had better”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

The reason I'm giving this hotel a poor rating is mainly for the following 2 reasons:

1. The WiFi is not free and I don't care about that but it's as crappy as hell! It was slower than a 90s 56kbps and kept dropping! This is unacceptable, in Belgium? The Holiday Inn? Really? You gotta be kidding me! I was in disbelief! Specially because I had just gotten there from Moldova and over there, another 4 star hotel had an impeccable huge room with powerful WiFi. Mol-freaking-dova ladies and gentleman, yes the poorest country of europe! Go figure...

2. The shower door couldn't close properly so the water would leak, no matter what you did it would leak, a looot. It could get dangerous pretty quick I mean, slipping and stuff.

And finally the morning guy at the front desk was just in a bad mood and did a sloppy check out. I told him I had to take a bus in 5 minutes and he didn't even acknowledge it. However I must add that his colleague, the one who was there at midnight when I checked it, was the most pleasant man I've ever met! He was helpful, professional and kid. Amazing service!. The other guys looked sad but I don't care, he barely did his job (and I must add that in my early days I used to work at the front desk of the Hilton at the airport in Mexico City).

All in all, a disappointment. I would give it an average but for those 2 reasons: poor.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
DhrDVerniers, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brussels Schuman, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Dear Omkaradas

First of all I like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Holiday Inn Brussels Schuman. Your constructive remarks are very valuable to us as and allows us to improve our service and product. Thank you for sharing them with us.

After talking to our internet provider and local telephone company, we encountered a temporary malfunctioning device that will be replaced. Better and constant speed will be guaranteed. Please accept our apologies for this discomfort. Since the 1st of January, you can have internet for free, when joining our free IHG Rewards Club loyalty programm. This choice allows you save extra costs.

I'm happy to read that are being helped in a professional and genuine way. You know what it's all about as you where a Front Office Manager by yourself. This is the service that you and other guests all count on. Sorry that is service wasn't given to you in the morning.

I would appreciate, if you could contact me via my email address gm@hibrusselsschuman.com to inform me in which room you stayed. It allows us to repair the malfunctioning shower door quicker.

Thank you again for your review. Keep well and I hope to welcome you again in Holiday Inn Brussels Schuman and to greet you in person.

Yours sincerelly

Mr. Dominique Verniers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2014

This hotel is nicely located down a quiet street in the European quarter near the museums and a short hop from the city centre. The rooms are clean and functional and breakfast plentiful and hot. It's not a place for luxury frills but has everything you need and the staff are friendly enough and helpful. Much better value than some grander and allegedly more luxurious establishments.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Christof I

Thank you for taking your time Christof I to write a wonderful and high rated review on Holiday Inn Brussels Schuman.

We are happy to ready that our location, that is indeed near to the local tourist attractions, fitted you and that are rooms were clean and our staff friendly and helpful.

I will of course share your positive experience with our staff.

Thanks again and hope to see you back the next time that you visit Brussels, the capital of Europe, and stay in Holiday Inn Brussels Schuman.

Yours sincerely

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a weekend break to Brussles.

The hotel is situated about 2 minutes walk from the bus stop where there are regular buses to/from the airport (although at the time of our stay due to a meeting in the nearby EU commission there was heightened security, with many streets closed to the public and instead took 30). There is also a metro station nearby which allows you to make a short journey into the main shopping area and attractions such as the Grand Place and Manaquin Pis, this area is also a 20min walk away, which by doing so allows you to take in sights such as the parliament building and Royal Palace.

The hotel is comfortable and clean and allows you to have a great nights sleep. Staff are very friendly and assisted us with printing of boarding passes for our return flight. The hotel also offers a good breakfast.

Would reccomend the hotel to anyone staying in Brussles and would stay again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Andy C
Dear Andy C

Thank you for your review Andy C, I really appreciate the time you took for it and for the perfect rating on all our challenges of Holiday Inn Brussels Schuman

Your rating of 5/5 on value, location, quality of sleep, rooms, hygiene and service, does confirm that my staff is looking day per day to deliver the best service and product to you and other guests.

Thank you again for sharing it with us.

Keep well and I hope to welcome you again in Holiday Inn Brussels Schuman when visiting Brussels again with your family.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

The internet on the room is paid and the internet on the hall is really poor. They don't have breakfest included in my room but I saw on the price book that was 5€ per person however when we get down stairs they wanted to charge us on 15€. I also had to pay extras 18€ for city tax, what is city tax? It was supose to all be paid in advance...and they didn't tell me anything about that on the website. regrettable...

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Brussels Schuman, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Lucas O,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the pricing structure of the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your visit. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel for short business trip and was very happy with the service provided. I got a nicely renovated room, the breakfast and service quality was excellent. The Metro station Schumann is only a few minutes away, which makes this hotel ideally located.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed December 4, 2013

It was quite central to where we had to go and minutes only from train station.Very good check in staff and very quick to respond to request if any.Girl behind the desk in evening was very helpful.

Room was clean as per standards and not bad at all if you are staying for a night or two.

Recommend to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Brussels
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This is a pretty run down hotel in need of renovation. But the room service is the worst I have had in years (and I have travelled to some remote places before in former communist countries).

We stayed in November and it was pouring with rain (not their fault!) so we opted for room service. I ordered salads for myself and my wife and was informed as reception that the salads were not available because it is winter. To avoid abject hunger we opted for croque monsieur (cheese on toast) and vegetable soup. 45 minutes later and after three phonecalls we got two cold croque monsieur cooked on one side and slimy and semi-warm vegetable soup which contained meat balls. It was disgusting! We did bring this up when checking out but our comments didn't seem to get much response. I don't want to blame the staff - there were only two on duty and they are overloaded and not trained sufficiently trained.
So a message to the management - sort this out - it's not good enough. A message to further clients - take and umbrella and eat out!

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor so you can pick up free wifi from reception. they charge 9 euro a day!