“In EU district” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #86 of 200 Hotels in Brussels
Vigevano, Italy
“In EU district”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Lovely hotel in European Parliament zone (near the metro stop Schuman and bus stop for airport). We stayed there for a couple of night - just to spend a weekend in Bruxelles - and we found this hotel confortable and clean with spacious rooms. We chose to exclude the breakfast in hotel, and we hadn't have any problem to find some patisserie in that area. In the surroundings is also possible to see the EU Parliaments and other European Commission buildings, the Cinquantenaire park and a very interesting art nuveau residential quarter. Absolutely recommended.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Simona C
gmhibs, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brussels Schuman, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Miss,

First of all I would like to thank you for the time you took to write this review. It's is very appreciated and helpful.

I hope to welcome you again to our hotel in the near future.

Bert De Rouck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel as part of my European road trip so we only stayed for one night, we were a group of 10 and it was the easiest check in of the whole trip.
The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable, the lobby and outside decking were nice, the bar was a tad limited and the receptionist also was the bartender so we had to wait a while for our drinks as she was busy with the reception.
The hotel is in a good location there is parking available outside, which happens to be free on a weekend which is helpful!
If I ever go back to Brussels I would definitely consider staying at this hotel again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank pam999
gmhibs, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brussels Schuman, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Mister/Madam,

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. The service in the bar will be improved in the near future as we will sent everybody of the reception team on a training session. Our reception is always with 2 persons, and they are in charge of the bar also. This to create a family athmosphere and a great guest recognition.

Athens, Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

If you have meetings near the Schuman area, then this hotel is perfectly located. Room size, comfort of mattress, lighting, pillows, and decor are all fine. Cleanses could be better and breakfast could include fresh orange juice. You have to pay extra for WiFi; this is something that I really dislike; in today's world Internet is like electricity and it is not understandable why some hotels continue to charge for it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mister,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. Your comments are very important to us, so we can improve our product and service of the hotel. We are sure that there is still room for improvement & are striving to the best.

By the end of this moment we will provide a FREE WIFI zone in the hotel. This you will find in our Lobby & Brasserie. Also the television channels will be updated.

We are looking for a decent solution about the fresh orange juice & I'm sure we will find this in a short notice.

I have talked with my housekeeping-supervisor to improve her manor of control.

I hope you will choose our hotel again in the near future & to welcome you.

with kind regards

Toensberg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was attending some meetings in Centre Albert Borschette and this situated very close this venue. It is also very close to the Schuman subway station.

The room was clean and with a nice bed and working AC. As it is on a side street there were little noise from the street.
It is very close to the sub-way station on Schuman and can easily be reached walking with a rolling suitcase.

I did not try the breakfast, and the restaurant seems little used, I was told that I could eat there but since I would be the only guest I got the feeling that it would severely inconvenience the lone woman manning the front desk. During my two day stay it was usually dark if not for breakfast. There are some restaurants near by, but I have only used them for lunch, so dont know if they are open in the evenings. The area is mostly EU-related in my experience, and dead in the evenings, so I traveled the short trip down town for my dinners.

The only thing that struck me was the extremely slow elevator, with some temperamental buttons. Never knew if my selection of floor had been registered before it slowly creeped upward.

Bottom line
I picked this hotel for its location close to the meeting center, and wanted a clean, cold room to sleep in. This hotel fulfilled all those requirements, and I will most likely chose this hotel again when I go to Brussels the next time (if I have a meeting in the area)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Peter F
Dear Mister,

Our Brasserie is everyday open from 11AM till 11PM. There is a small menu with delicious pastas, some world kitchen food.

We are aware of the problems with the elevator & are looking together with our company to solve this issue. We hope that this matter improves very shortly.

Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

I stopped here for a week as it had a number of good reviews on TripAdvisor and was nice and central, however I'm sad to say it didn't live up to the expectation... As a member of the IHG I expected it to at least be of a decent standard however it falls short of even that.

The downstairs of the hotel isn't bad, with a nice seating area out the back where you can enjoy a drink in the evening. The reception area is clean and tidy, and has a few seats so you can sit down while waiting for a taxi etc. The reception staff are pleasant and always appeared to be smiling, and always said hello/enjoy you day when arriving/leaving. Unfortunately that is where the good points stop :-(

The room, while nicely decorated (contemporary style), wasn't in the cleanest of states... The coffee machine they provide for you instead of a kettle was covered in coffee granules (worse when I opened up the lid on it), and looked as if it had never been cleaned. The bathroom had aparantly had the drains recently unblocked, which went some was as to explaining why the bathroom stank so much of vinegar it actually hurt your eyes when you walked in. Towards the end of the week it did smell less, but it was still very unpleasant.

The on-site gym is essentially a converted bedroom (room 701), and can at most hold 3 people (see my pictures). I understand its a small hotel but even still I would have expected better facilities and at least more modern equipment. The minibar in the room has a small selection (almost as small as the so-called bar in the hotel, which is 3 bar stools wide!), but wasn't refilled during the week. This I found somewhat frustrating as in my stays with other Holiday Inn's you get 2 bottles of water in your room each day as a platinum member, while I managed just two for the week.

The breakfast in the hotel was a letdown as well unfortunately, as the one time I gave it a go the hot food was luke-warm at best. The cold-cut selection was pretty small and the bread seemed a few days old. Again, I understand its a small hotel but at the same time, either put out a better selection (and keep you food hot!) or don't put it out but let the customers request it.

The kicker for me was when I went looking for the iron/ironing board to sort out my shirts for work. After ringing reception I was informed that they only had a small number which had all been taken. In the morning before heading out with a very creased shirt I met the manager who while very polite informed me that the hotel had a total of 4 iron's/boards for all of its guests. Given the advertised €450 per night room rate I cannot believe that don't have one in each room! This combined with the fact their lift seems to have a mind of its own, and on a number of occasions actually wouldn't open the door on the floor we chose, put me off!

Overall it's a real shame that the hotel is let down in a few areas... The rooms are nicely decorated and the overall atmosphere of the hotel is nice. The silly things like the lack of ironing boards/crazy lift/bad breakfast/poor gym bring down what could be a very nice and very popular hotel. If those aspects had have been fixed when I arrived I would have rated this place 4 stars and would be going back soon!

My verdict: If you are stopping for a couple of nights and aren't that fussy then its worth stopping, however if you are stopping in Brussels for a week and want an enjoyable experience you should probably look elsewhere.

Room Tip: On each floor rooms x01 and x02 are next to the elevator, so try and get one the other side of the f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
gmhibs, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brussels Schuman, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Mr Hopkins,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with our hotel. Thanks to your review we can react on several things and we can improve our level of service & our product.

We had a chat in the morning about several points, and I'm very gratefull that you took the time for me.

I have ordered more ironing boards to provide to our guests, as we get the question more and more. As we have trouser presses in our rooms, we don't provide the iron facilities as a standard in our rooms.

We are proud to present as from mid September our new breakfast buffet. This will be above standard, and our prices will stay the same.

The espresso machines are all cleaned directly after your complaint, as this is really not up to standard. I talked to the housekeeping & put this as a highlight on their list. Also the refilling of the minibar & the free bottles of water came on this list, as the standard of our hotel is like this.

I hope that you will not leave our hotel at the side for your next visit to Brussels, as I would like to show you that we have done something with your remarks.

Again thank you very much for helping us to improve our product.

Kaiserslautern, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed two nights in this hotel on a weekend trip and we were very impressed with the modern facilities and cleanliness of the rooms! The hotel staff was accommodating, but didn't go out of their way to help with questions. The location was good as it was close to the metro, but there really wasn't much to do or see near the hotel. There is a great bakery right down the street called Le Monde Du Pain! I believe it is a chain of bakeries, but this one was very close to the hotel and made great croissants with chocolate in them!:) I do recommend this hotel and would stay there again if we were in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MauraAnn
gmhibs, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brussels Schuman, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear,

Thank you very much for shearing your experiences with our hotel. We appreciate it a lot to see that you have taken the time for a valuable feedback. Thanks to you we can improve our product & service.

It is great to read that you enjoyed your stay & that everything was fine. I'm glad that the Front Office staff is going the extra mile to help our guests & to make our guests live a lot easier. That's for me the most important value we can give to you.

I hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Fantastic clean convenient hotel with all the essentials and very good value for money and only about 5 mins walk from nearest metro. Had a very pleasant and comfortable stay there. large bed, nice TV, great shower and bathroom and great outside patio in lounge area. Nice for late night drinks.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank goodfella830
gmhibs, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brussels Schuman, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear,

Thank you very much for you feedback. It is always an honor to receive compliments on our product.

I'm happy to read that your stay in Brussels was great & you enjoyed it from A to Z.

Our goal is to provide everything what our guest needs, so they can go back with a happy feeling.

I hope I can welcom you again in our hotel in the future.