“Excellent location”

Brussels Marriott Hotel Grand Place
Ranked #37 of 198 Hotels in Brussels
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stayed couple times over last few months in this hotel. Best thing about this hotel is its location - short walk to the old town area, railway station and a good range of various restaurants. The property itself is a bit below the usual Marriott standards, which is not unusual when the hotel is being retrofitted in an old building. The rooms feel a bit small. As a Marriott Platinum member, i was upgraded into a decent room, which made a lot of difference. The last trip coincided with the World Cup which was a lot iof fun, considering relative success fo Belgian team. The night of their vicroy over USA in quarter finals, the square infront of the hotel was a place of night-long celebration. Completely impossible to sleep due to noice all night long, but quite fun experience!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,255)

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Spent two nights at this Marriott Hotel in Brussels. I was upgraded as a platinum member to a fifth floor room which was very spacious. There was no view as courtyard facing, but this meant no traffic noise as described in other reviews. The Executive Lounge was basic but comfortable. It is located on the ground floor by the street and reception, so was not very private.

The location is amazing, within walking distance of many great sights. If I return to Brussels, I would stay here again with no hesitation.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Austind88
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Stayed 2 Nights .
Stayed at many Marriott’s ,this Marriott is more like a cross between a Marriott and a Courtyard by Marriott. It is not at the level of a typical Marriott .
Check in is efficient ,carry your own bags to the room.
Rooms are comfortable, very small but quiet .The Mini bar in the room is empty ,only found this out at 2am in the morning when looking for a cold drink. If you want a cold drink you need to buy downstairs and put in the fridge yourself. More like a courtyard.
The breakfast is excellent, note the breakfast area is on the ground floor and is the only restaurant in the hotel .
Security is good as at night returning to the hotel you need to use your room card to enter the hotel.
Would I stay at the Marriott again ??
I think for the money there are better hotels with better facilities in Brussels .

Stayed: July 2014
PanosZer, Front Desk Manager at Brussels Marriott Hotel Grand Place, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2014

Dear TBGH,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback!

Kindly be informed that indeed in some room categories, the minibar is empty. Our guests can buy their preferred items at reasonable prices from our Market next to the Reception, or call the Room Service which is available 24 hours. All our Premium Rooms and Suites have a stocked minibar included in the rate.

Please accept my apologies for not offering you help with your luggage, rest assured that we are following up in order to ensure that something like this will not happen again. The Brussels Marriott Hotel offers luggage service 24/7.

On the other hand, we were pleased to see that you enjoyed the breakfast and the secure, comfortable environment in the hotel.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

Clean, professional and friendly staff, good location for sightseeing. No free wifi (unless you are gold or above). Lots of good restaurants within walking distance. Access to the executive lounge made this visit tolerable. The room was nice, but small.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Dear Bill,

Thank you for comments!

I am glad you enjoyed the service from our staff and the central location of the hotel.

Please be informed that we offer free wi-fi in our lobby, while in the rooms internet is free for the Marriott Rewards Gold and Platinum members and for all the room categories apart from the Standard Deluxe rooms.

I do hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again the next time you decide to visit Brussels.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

We are gold card holders so we get free wifi, breakfast and club access. The location is very close to the Grand-Place. But it's has a grimy feeling around the main street in front of it. There is a McDonald's on the ground floor in front of the hotel....gross!!! We checked into two tiny rooms with no view and we asked nicer rooms which they did take care of for us. My kids could not sleep through the yelling and hollering due to a Brazil win in a world cup match. I would not stay at this Marriott again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear Stephanie,

We would like to thank you for choosing the Marriott Hotel for your recent visit to Brussels and for giving us your feedback!

As we are located in the heart of Brussels, in special events like World Cup the surrounding area can get very busy, as in any center of a big city. For our guests that are more sensitive to noise, we also have rooms facing a quiet courtyard!

We hope we will have the chance to welcome you again at the Brussels Marriott Hotel.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Overall good. Marriot Hotels are good hotels and I have stayed at them before. I always love the style of the rooms and the comfortable beds. There are no complaints about the room. The breakfast was also nice, the make your own waffle station was a good addition and the open kitchen and nice staff and chefs makes a for a very nice atmosphere. Now for the bad. Although what was at the breakfast was nice, I have had a much bigger variety in other hotels. There was not a lot of healthy choices and the fruit that was there was just not so great. They need a much bigger variety for a 4 star hotel. The service. On the day we arrived we realized that you could either give your credit card or 50 euro per night as a deposit in case of any charges which you then would get back at the end. Now luckily we had a credit card, but my mind was going out to maybe the young couples that could have come here, maybe without a credit card and would not have 50 euro per night. I have never seen that at any other hotel, including other Marriot Hotels for example in Marriot Instanbul. As a hotel I can understand some security measures but this seems like too much. Also we did not know of this until we got to the hotel. There was wifi in the lobby, you could pay to get it in the rooms. Maybe cheaper wifi in the rooms would be great. However I do have to say that the tvs were also great and the first 20 channels or so were in English, and English channels (Such as BBC etc.) so that was great experience to get english commentary on a world cup game. Great choice from the hotel. Lastly, I understand that concierge are also people and can have good days and bad days but they need to be careful. The first concierge we met was according to me having a very bad day and therefore not very good. He was joking and it was kind of funny in the start but you should have your limits when it is with strangers which have just had a long flight and woke up early in the morning so their minds might not be ready for the fun and games the concierge wants to play. Also sometimes I was unsure if the concierge was actually making fun or was actually angry. But he made a lot of mistakes. Firstly he forgot what day it was, then he could not understand the meaning of a sentence in English because of the grammar then I made a miscalculation on my phone calculator and I told him the number I got and then in his anger he took his calculator did the calculation and smashed the calculator hard on the table separating us. That is VERY wrong for a concierge to behave with his guests. I would like the head concierge to just talk to this concierge about manners. I honest to god did not think he was a real concierge. He also cost us 40 euro. The 3 trips we booked, we later found out were also in a combi packet which the concierge should have known. 40 euro is a lot of money we could have saved.

However what saved the experience was the other concierge, who I think was brilliant and nice. However I forgot his name but I think he might have been Belgian. He was the one who saved the service reputation of the hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms on the fifth floor are nice, but no great view as this is in the city center. Also you nee...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We arrived in Brussels by train, and took a cab to the Marriott. We were there overnight, on a family vacation. The staff was very friendly and greeted us warmly. The hotel is within easy walking distance of the Grand-Place. We did not eat at the hotel, choosing instead to eat a local café for breakfast, and the Hard-Rock café (to appease my 13 year old son!) for dinner. The only "knock" I will give the hotel, is that when we checked in, we were told that we would get complementary Wi-Fi. When I first attempted to log on, I was prompted to pay for the time I wanted. I called the front desk, and was assured that it would not be on my bill, so I signed on for 24 hours access. Sure enough, when I reviewed the bill, the Wi-Fi access charge was there, and the staff did not remove it.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family