“Great location and friendly staff”

Brussels Marriott Hotel Grand Place
Ranked #38 of 198 Hotels in Brussels
GreenLeadersSilver level
South United States
“Great location and friendly staff”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We were in Brussels for one night and wanted to stay near the Grand Place. It is a block from the hotel and easy to get to by crossing the street!
We arrived from Amsterdam at the Gare Du Midi and decided to take a taxi to the Marriott. You can take the train to Gare Central which is close to the Marriott, but we decided with suitcases, to take a taxi. We were met at the hotel with a warm welcome by the entire staff. The check in was easy and our rooms were ready. There were 6 in our party and my husband and I had a king bed and our children had adjoining rooms with 2 doubles. The other two had a king bed as well. The rooms were big for Europe rooms,and it was very clean. The windows were rather small, but you could still see a little bit of a view.
We didn't eat at the restaurant which serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. We walked to Grand Place for our meals and were very happy. There are so many shops and cafes to choose in the area.
Our only problem we encountered was due to wi-fi. It was the only hotel that we were to stay at during our Europe vacation that didn't offer free wi-fi. I knew that and was prepared since we were only going to stay one night. However, when we arrived the front desk said we would get free wi-fi. When I double checked, they were so very nice and told us that we would have free wi-fi. (This stay was paid for with our Marriott reward points, we are Gold members) But it was a hassle and I wish we had just stuck with no wi-fi for the night. The code wouldn't work and when we went down to the front desk, they had us to go ahead and click order wi-fi and they would take it off in the morning. Well, the front desk staff the next morning said they couldn't take the charge off b/c our Gold Status had recently expired. The only reason I am writing about it, just be aware that there is a charge and it can be stressful to have it taken off. This is on me and the reason I gave them 5 stars instead of 4. I should have stuck with my plan!
We would stay here again because of the staff and the location!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 10, 2014

The hotel is in an excellent location, and the rooms are clean and comfortable. However, we had several issues with the hotel’s service. When I called the front desk several times, I was put on hold so long, that I hung up. For breakfast, we were able to order a-la-cart, which we appreciated, but we had to search for the server to get our check. Also, the parking was problematic. It was difficult to find the garage, and the elevator was not working, so I had to search for my husband and our luggage with one of the hotel’s employees. Three days later, the elevator was still not working, so a manager went down to get our car and brought it to the entrance, so we could load our luggage there. Hopefully, they were just having a few bad days.

Room Tip: Ask for interior room that does not face the street - it was very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
PanosZer, Front Desk Manager at Brussels Marriott Hotel Grand Place, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear JPR12345,

Thank you for choosing the Marriott Hotel for your visit to Brussels!

I am happy to see that you enjoyed our central location and the comfortable room you had.

Please accept my apologies you experienced during your stay, please rest assured that we have followed up in order to ensure that something similar will not happen again in the future.

Regarding the elevator, unfortunately it was out of our control. For the service of our elevators we cooperate with a respected international company, unfortunately though they were unable to provide us with the part that needed to be replaced within reasonable time.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back at the Brussels Marriott Hotel!

Best Regards,

Panos Zeritis
NJ
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We had 2 separate stays at this hotel, one night on each end of a week-long trip to Kenya. We had a lovely time exploring Brussels and the Marriott was a perfect location. We walked in every direction and found lovely restaurants and shopping, as well as the usual tourist stuff.

The room was the usual comfortable Marriott, no ugly surprises. If you are staying on a weekend and have a room on a lower floor, be prepared for some street noise. But nothing worse than you might encounter in any other city.

The staff at the hotel was truly top-notch. We had booked 2 rooms for each stay, and both times we checked in we were arriving in the early morning hours after an international flight. On our first arrival the hotel was full but they were able to accommodate us in one of the rooms which was fantastic since check-in technically is mid-afternoon. On our second arrival we were able to access both rooms right away...at 8am. We were exhausted and VERY appreciative.

All front desk staff was happy to steer us to the local sights, good places to eat, and nearby ATMs. They also assisted with arranging our early-morning taxi service to the airport.

We ended up eating at the hotel restaurant twice and frankly our meals were delicious and they had World Cup soccer on a large screen! Our server, Dennis, was friendly and efficient and we enjoyed chatting with him.

As a side note I should mention that I checked out several other hotels online prior to our stay. Several of them looked quite charming, but seemed to have small, cramped rooms and bathrooms, as older buildings often will. As my husband is very tall (6'7") it is important to have a room I know he'll be comfortable in. The Marriott fit the bill, and the price was good.

If I get to Brussels in the future I would definitely stay here again.

Bolton, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We wanted to be close to the Grand Place and this hotel was perfect. Within a block of the Grand Place, you have only to cross a single street and you are "there." The hotel and rooms were clean, neat and modern. The staff at the front desk and the concierge were all very helpful, friendly and courteous. The restaurant was pleasant and enjoyable though I found the menu a bit "limited" and it could be a challenge for families with smaller children. The executive lounge which is available to Marriott Rewards members was great... you can serve yourself a coffee, grab a snack or a beer any time you wanted. The hotel is a minutes walk from the subway system and about a 5-7 minute walk from the Gare Central train station. This was a great centrally located hotel and we would definitely stay here again. You have access to hundreds of restaurants and boutique shopping options within just a few minutes walk from this property.

Room Tip: Higher floors might get you away from the street noise below. We were here during World Cup matches...
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I have stayed at Marriott Brussels for a few days on a business trip.
The good: the hotel is located near Grand Place, very good location for a few walks to the pubs or Brussels' downtown attractions. And that's the end of good section...

The bad: the area is quite noisy, Ok - not really hotel's fault.
But the windows of the room I stayed were a bit old and it did not close properly. I had to prop up the table against the window for a better closure. And this was not the case of my room only, other colleagues reported similar problems with the windows. The lucky ones had ear plugs...

I ordered in advance a vegan menu.
After talking with every single waiter at the first dinner, all I have got was the side dish they served with the steaks. No starter, no dessert, no nothing, they just removed the meat from one plate and voila, that's your vegan menu for 60+ Euro!
I had a conversation with the boss of the waiters and practically she was shouting at me that it was our fault we did not announce in advance. Actually we did announce well in advance.
What is customer's fault that their communications lines do no work, what was my fault that all those waiters I spoke to did not want to inform the kitchen about a simple situation?
Any excuses, any compensation, any whatever from the hotel?
Absolutely nothing, this is Marriott; they just charged more than 60 Euros for a side dish made of vegetables and 2 glasses of wine instead of providing a decent vegan dinner...

Just to be honest, they improved for the next lunches, later I did get a correct service and probably I could put it in "incident" category but strange things kept repeating in other areas where the hotel was supposed to perform differently...

There are bowl with fruits on the reception. That is nice but take care that these fruits, similar with the fruits provided at the breakfast, are not washed. You will have to wash them. Or at the breakfast please ask them to wash the fresh fruits you may want to enjoy.

The hotel has a gym in the basement, something the size a bigger room. Do not expect something fancy, 3 running belts, 2 bicycles, 2 steppers and weights. It looks like it is there just to allow them to get the star they targeted.

Back home alive from this hotel but the story is not over...
During the stay hotel blocked on my card 2 different amounts, totally at Marriot Brussels will. Then at checkout they charged the card the full amount of the invoice, while keeping the arbitrary reservations made prior.
Contacted later hotel claimed that the moneys blocked are released but they are not...
Now additional troubles with the bank to chase Marriot Brussels to leave people's moneys where they are supposed to be since the hotel has been paid in full...

My opinion is that Marriot Brussels gets way too many clients, they do not really have something compelling to push them to improve.

Room Tip: To get a little more of sound proof you may have to put the table against the window for a proper cl...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
8 Thank Raduceanu
Dear Raduceanu,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Regarding your dinner, it was a fixed dinner menu prepared for your group for a special price of 38€/person, not over 60€. We did have the information regarding the special diets and we were prepared for that: a vegetarian starter, main course and dessert were available for our vegan guests. We regret that these arrangements did not meet your expectations.

Regarding the authorization blocked, as you have been informed already by us, we do not hold any additional money from your card. The authorization taken was released by us the date of your departure and it usually takes 2 working days for the funds to be back in your account, but that depends on your bank.

Once again, I would like to thank you for your feedback.

Best Regards,

Panos Zeritis
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 7, 2014

we have been staying at this hotel every time we visit Brussels and it has been a wonderful stay every time. The staff is very courteous, the facility is well-maintained and it is centrally located close to all places to visit in Brussels. The executive lounge was outstanding. The manager was personally serving wine to the costumers, which is unusual for most lounges. I hope they have it 7 days a week rather than week days only. As Marriott gold members, we were upgraded to an executive room, which was again outstanding. One suggestion for the hotel management is to improve their concierge services. Overall, wonderful experience, especially for the price.

Room Tip: a higher floor would be useful since the area is busy and it can get loud at nights.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alp I
Beauvais, France
Reviewed July 7, 2014

A well placed hotel with good facilities. for exploring the heart of Brussels, probably no better placed hotel to do this. Lots to do & see around here, shops, restaurants, the flea market on Sunday all well within walking distances. Hotel itself is well appointed & breakfast is of a good quality. In fact you won't really get to try out all the options. Go & enjoy

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple