“Business in Brussels”

Brussels Marriott Hotel Grand Place
Ranked #41 of 198 Hotels in Brussels
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I spent 2 nights at the Brussels Marriott a couple of weeks ago. I flew in from the USA and landed in the morning. Not surprisingly, my room was not ready, but the hotel supplied me with a key to their executive lounge which had a direct view of the check-in desk. Although the desk clerk knew I was anxious to get in the room, they did not call me when it was ready (I stopped by twice). Finally, I saw a group of people come in and they all got rooms so I went back to the desk and my room was ready. It was a disappointing start. Upon checkout there was also confusion with my bill by the front desk staff. The room was nice, very spacious by European standards and quiet as it faced the back of the hotel. I suspect that the city facing rooms might be noisy. The restaurant and bar were nice, and the staff in both areas was excellent. The location is convenient to the Grand Place without being bothered by the crowds. The only drawback to the hotel was the front desk staff, but other than that it was exactly what one would expect from a Marriott.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelerT796
There are newer reviews for Brussels Marriott Hotel Grand Place

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Stayed at the old, center-city Marriott in Brussells March 29 through April 1, 2014. We have stayed at many Marriotts all over the world and have always been pleased, but this visit was not up to usual standards. Positives: Requested a quiet room and they delivered. Got a 6th floor room that was very quiet. Room was clean and bed was comfortable. Negatives: Air conditioner worked, but did not really cool the room. Was told at check-in that the lighting would be down for an hour in honor of "Earth Day." Told we could get a "free" drink in the bar to compensate. Luckily the lights never went off because we found out the drink offer was bogus. Ordered breakfast with the room. Sunday morning the buffet breakfast was out of everything. Monday, I had three long, black hairs in my food. Told the mgr., who said he was sorry?? Love Marriotts, just not this one. Stay clear of the Brussells, Center City Marriott. The rest are fine.

Room Tip: Ask for the quiet rooms on the top floor. Otherwise, it will be noisy.
1  Thank jstevensphoto
PanosZer, Front Desk Manager at Brussels Marriott Hotel Grand Place, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear jstevensphoto,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your stay.

As discussed also via email, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We were happy to read though that you enjoyed our renovated rooms.

For your next visit, please do not hesitate to contact directly either our Front Office Manager that was in contact with you, or myself and we will do our best to ensure that you will have a brilliant stay with us.

Best Regards,

Reviewed April 6, 2014

We have chosen this hotel due to it's prime location in Brussels.
The hotel is old fashioned, but well kept.

Here are my experiences:

Positives:

- prime location: really close to all important tourist attractions, bars, restaurants, ...
- clean hotel, at least what I saw
- special requests were honoured
- superb beds

Negatives:

- poor staff at the reception: the girl at check-in did not understand that I have reserved 2 rooms under 2 different names, noted down the wrong room number for me so I had to return to the reception, the lady during check-out was more professional but not very friendly imho...no goodbye or "have a lovely weekend" to be heard...not at all up to standards for a 4 star hotel, hence the "Average" total rating !

I don't recommend this hotel and we will search for another hotel next time when in Brussels!
- too warm in general in the hotel (too high temperature settings)

Room Tip: The rooms at the highest floor (6th floor) are very quiet but have one small round window, so if you...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
PanosZer, Front Desk Manager at Brussels Marriott Hotel Grand Place, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear Tommy D,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your stay.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with our Reception Team. This is definitely not the service we strive to provide to our guests. Please rest assured that further follow up will be done in order to ensure that similar issue will not occur again in the future.

On the other hand, we were happy to read that you enjoyed our prime location and the renowned Marriott beds.

We really hope that you will give us another chance to provide you the quality service we are able to offer the next time you visit Brussels!

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Stayed three nights in this hotel. The rooms are standard issue Marriott. Carpet, bedding, furnishings from the Marriott Catalog. The rooms are in excellent shape- like new. I originally booked a standard room which is typical by European standards but smaller than the USA rooms. I upgraded to an executive room which is larger and more typical of USA sizes. As a gold member I was afforded access to the executive lounge which offers breakfast and evening snacks. Beverage service is 24 hours including Beer and Wine. The lounge Staff , the Bell staff, housekeeping and Concierge staff were all excellent. In fact, overall the staff at this Hotel is on par with the best of any Hotel I have every visited. Clearly the management has done an excellent job training the staff. A very enjoyable stay.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank MC7894
Reviewed March 27, 2014

At first site, we weren't sure we'd picked the right area of Brussels to spend one evening in early March. We wanted to be within walking distance to shops, bars and restaurants, but visually we did not see what we were looking for. Lo and behold, the Grand Place of Brussels, and all of the Gallerie shops and local bars and restaurants, were HIDING almost directly across the street, behind the museum!!! We simply walked out of the Marriott, took a left, crossed the street and entered a different world! The proximity was perfect!

The hotel itself was very clean, and the bed comfortable. The room was actually more spacious than we had envisioned. We were on the fourth floor, and were happy to see that you could only access the lift to your room with a room key. During the middle of the night, we did hear quite a bit of yelling and screaming outside, but we figured it was on account of the weekend night and drunken partygoers.

We spent some time at the lounge bar in the evening, and were disappointed to see that it closed quite early. In fact, the female bartender asked us to close out our bill so she could "get home to see her kids." After that, most of the people left in the bar simply walked up to the open tap and helped themselves to extra beer. We were a little surprised to see this.

Overall, excellent stay, and the front desk staff, and the valet, were very helpful. We would stay here again.

1  Thank Saraozzi5
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Just visited one of the friendliest hotels ever, the reception staff made ore check in very smooth. We had a twin room with 2 very large comfortable single beds and a very spacious bathroom with one of the most powerful showers ever.
A word of warning the in house movies on TV are expensive. If you are offers tak a room on one of the higher floors as late at night it is still busy outside.
Overalls great visit.

1  Thank Stephen J
Reviewed March 23, 2014

This was a weekend stay with my elderly mother (with a teeny bit of business in the afternoon of my Friday arrival). If your business is with the European institutions and especially the Parliament then this hotel isn't very well located for you, try the (also excellent) Renaissance. However if your biz is in the city centre or you're a tourist who wants to be right in the thick of it then this is for you. It's right there, at The Bourse and within a 1 minute walk of the central Grand Place, a few minutes of Mannekin Pis and no distance at all to the restaurants, pubs and shops of Brussels. It's location is a treat.
This trip was was the first time I'd tried the online checkin app, and I'm afraid I found it very wanting. I duly checked in online via the app just as my Eurostar train was leaving the station and it responded en route at about noon advising my room was available. On arrival at the hotel an hour or so later I stepped up to the checkin desk and was simply handed my keys... Wow, so smooth... Except... Oooopps!!! The computer assigning the room obviously thought I was travelling with an enemy and put us on completely different floors! Then we had to wait around whilst our rooms were changed to next door, which the staff happily did...
Again and again I am always awestruck at the English skills I find in Europe as I struggle with my schoolboy French, but Marriott's are exceptional, their FD staff are always utterly fluent in English which makes these kind of issues so easy to resolve. Furthermore my mother needed a quiet room and although the rooms initially assigned had a great view of the Bourse, I was informed the rooms weren't exactiy quite at the weekend, with the revellers down below. Hence whilst switching the rooms to the same floor we were also placed in 2 gloriously peaceful rooms right next to each other. The test of any organisation is how glitches are rectified and here the Marriott Brussels passed with flying colours!
Unlike the Ren, this hotel keeps it's exec lounge open 7 nights a week meaning free food and beer/wine at the weekends, though with all the wonderful different beers available in Brussels limiting oneself to only e exec lounge offerings is in my view a crime! Mind you it worked quite well for this visit. Evening food offerings are quite good too. I might add that lounge overcrowding wasn't an issue here, it was certainly busy at times but tables were available whenever I was there.
Then there's the midtown grill. Yup, it was great and by great I do mean great. I love steak and this place knows how to serve it. Don't go for the authentic taste of Brussels however that's just as well as Belgian contributions to world cuisine are in the form of beer (there are more difrerent beers brewed in Belgium per head than anywhere else in the world) and chocolate... Mmmmmm, chocolate! So don't feel guilTy when you pick the midtown that you're missing out on the cuisine. Drink the beer, take the chocolate home and you have the best of Brusells! Enjoy Midtowns steaks. I did!
Now if you're like me, daily maid servicing just isn't needed, and here that attitude is rewarded by a €5 bar credit if you leave a sign on your door refusing maid service. That's serves up a fine nightcap!
SO to recap, clean comfortable quiet rooms, 7 day week exec lounge with beer/wine (at weekends breakfast is free for Gold/Plats in restaurant), excellent restaurant and right in the centre of all the action. I really, really rate this hotel... Go, you won't regret it!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family