“Good Location but no Mini Bar in a Marriott Room ?”

Brussels Marriott Hotel Grand Place
Ranked #39 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this Marriott Hotel many times before and again had a reasonably good Fri and Sat stay over the Easter Weekend. Good, easy check-in, good communal areas, good rooms, comfy bed, good bar area and of course a great location.

Unfortunately i must point a couple of bad points that Marriott need to address... No Mini Bar in my room despite the fridge and all of the pricing being in place and a very, very mediocre breakfast which thankfully came free with our Room Deal. My wife had to call Room Service at 3am in the morning simply for a bottle of water which I find totally unacceptable in a 4/5 star hotel when there is actually a fridge there albeit empty !!

As for breakfast, luke warm at best i'm afraid to report although the fresh fruits and yoghurts etc looked to be fine.

I would stay here again, especially at £78 for a 2 night stay using my EBay Cultuzz voucher but would be far happier if the above minimum standards were dealt with by the management.

• Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights over Easter weekend. I am Marriott gold and have stayed at Marriott all over the world.

Check in was easy and our room was quite nice. We had a junior suite, which had a great view, nice layout, and plenty of space for European room.
The location cannot be beat. You are pretty much on the grand place, the metro is right there, and there are many food choices nearby.
Wifi worked pretty well. Hotel gym has nice cardio equipment but not great weights.
We had lounge access. Breakfast was pretty good, a bit sparser than Zurich Marriott offering but still had plenty. Evening snacks were ok. This is one area where there are just no extras- there were no sweets and limited fruit, much different than others I have been to.
We also didn't have enough towels which was a bit odd.
Check out was easy and concierge held our bags for us.

I would stay again.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

The staff at this hotel could not have been more accomodative. We had reserved two rooms and arrived at the hotel at 9am. One room was immediately assigned to us (despite our very early arrival) which we very much appreciated. I asked to borrow some tools, and within minutes the maintainence staffman was at my door with a full toolbox, asking what I needed. Wow! Executive lounge is great. Breakfast was included for me. It was plentiful, hot, and a perfect buffet. Our rooms were large-ish by European standards. Bathrooms large but rather skimpy with towels. I'd asked for extra towels...they were delivered and I put them in the closet so that we would have extra towels for the duration of our stay. But, the next morning, housekeeping removed our extra unused towels from the closet!!!
Internet is costly, as in most of Europe. Gold and platinum Marriott members are granted free access.
There is parking at the hotel for E27, but we found a garage just as close, for E14.60.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

If you're looking for a place to have Sunday brunch, don't bother with the Marriott Brussels. the omlette maker made a delicious omelette, however, the coffee was luke warm, and the blueberry muffin was partially frozen. if they are going to serve muffins from the freezer, then they should thaw it out to room temperature before serving. fruis were limited in selection. overall, disappointing for a 25 euro breakfast.

1  Thank ginabrussels
Reviewed March 29, 2013

A little hard to find this hotel as their website says to take metro to De Brockere. It is actually easier to get to from the next stop, Bourse. I assume since the latter runs less frequently and doesn't have escalators its a more challenging metro stop. However, I wandered aimlessly for a while before I found it by asking random people. Look for the McDonald's.

There is a a lot to do and see within walking distance including the main market place and the DiVinci exhibit. There is also shopping and restaurants all over. The hotel is full of friendly staff. Again, its pay for wifi as most hotels we stayed at were.

The room was clean, but just beware the shady people hanging out. This is nothing of the hotel's fault, but be smart. Lastly, I got a winter rate, so it was quite a deal! Normal prices are quite high though.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2013

If you are a tourist exploring Brussels, this hotel is perfectly located in the centre of the city. But if you have come for a meeting and experience as many flaws as I did, you may consider your choice. This is even more the case if, like me, you have been to other Marriotts and are used to a very professional service.
The problem that arose couldnhave happened in any other Hotel too, and that is not the reason for the lower rating: the room I had been given was very noisy and the internet connection did not work. Phoning reception, my request for moving rooms was quite obviously not met with much understanding. The receptionist said she was not sure if she could do anything but would contact me shortly. Half an hour later, Incalled again, and the phone was hung up on me. I tried again and was lucky enough to have an obviously competent lady on the phone who not only managed to sort out a new room for me but also had the key brought up in less than 5 min. We had, as part of the meeting, a buffet dinner. And again, here quality was significantly lacking. The beef was dry, and many plates with food often empty and not refilled. The coffee was standing in the room for at least two hours and tasted awful. Again, not your average Marriott quality. Something is to be reported for the breakfast experience though: a very friendly gentlemen at the egg station offered a freshly made smoothy while making my omlette. very skilled, very pleasant. I wish this hotel had more staff like him and the competent lady at reception that sorted my room out so quickly.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank bpo-spam
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This hotel is perfectly located in Brussels. We stayed two nights and the rooms are nice and just what you need. Very convenient to get around, definitely recommend it! The only annoying part was that they charge for internet and did not offer free internet in the lobby (which Hilton's do!)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple