“Perfect to visit Brussels”
Review of NH Brussels Louise

NH Brussels Louise
Ranked #96 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Close to the metro (3 min walking), close to the city center (15-20 min walking), clean room, clean bathroom, free internet (wireless), excellent breakfast, close to famous galeries (louise) for shopping.
Its just perfect if you want to visit Brussels for some days without spending lots of time in the hotel (kind of small room).

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jorge T
Write a ReviewReviews (1,437)

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I travel a lot for work and stay in a number of hotels around Europe and never really complain when they get one or two things wrong but all I can say about this place is -Terrible!! In a nutshell It's outdated! Service is shocking! Rooms are not clean with broken phones! Breakfast is diabolical! Non smoking rooms smell like someone has just had a cigar! And to top it off the pokey little lifts have buttons that don't work!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Booked two nights for 135€ and we were completely satisfied. Loved the design, the hotel itself was very clean and the location was good, near restaurants and shopping, also close to the subway. Comfy beds and a nice bathroom. No complaints.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I went with friends to Brussels for a weekend, for the Christmas markets. The NH offered a good deal. However, the two double rooms had single beds, the "bathroom" was a shower room (but the shower was quite good) and the "city centre" is no where near the Christmas markets (at least, a 20 minute walk or involving a change on the underground - although we came back from the Grande Place for 12 euros in a taxi which was quite good).
We had rooms on the side, which were relatively quiet, although the trams in the main streets could be heard from 5.a.m.)
I agree with the travellers' comments about the TV and the programmes - but what should we Brits expect?
Breakfasts were not bad - fresh fruit, cold (cheese/ham/ etc) lots of different breads (good) or hot i.e. fat bacon, scrambled eggs or peppers (not so good).
We were offered a complimentary mini bar (but not topped up daily and in my case, emptied on the day before we left, which was a bit unfortunate as the hotel bar was closed on the Sunday evening!)
However, we did discover the "News Cafe" some 200 metres away in the Rue Jourdan. Very friendly, good coffee and reasonably priced beer. The food looked good as well!
One other tip - we flew to Brussels airport and had a prebooked taxi to the hotel for 40 euros. The train to the Gare du Midi and the underground to the nearest metro station would have cost about 32 euros - the extra was well worth it!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Like all our city breaks, we tend to spend very little time in the hotel and use it for base purposes only to cram in all the sightseeing etc.

However I found this hotel to have the following positive and negative qualities,
Room - small and clean
Staff - polite and friendly
Location - good
Food - Breakfast ok, other food in the hotel quite expensive.
Hotel - has little or no character, however this is clear if you look at web pics.
On a noisy street - but every street in Brussels seemed to be noisy. (police love their sirens!!!)
Rating - this is a 4 star hotel by European standards and I stress European standards.

Would recommend this hotel if like us, all you want is a base.
If you want big rooms and 4+ star hotel, then get your wallet out!!! Brussels is not cheap!!!!!!

P.s I see Susan from Scotland paid €190 per night. This in my opinion is a rip off. Maybe (not maybe, I'm sure) I gave the hotel a far better review because we paid approximately €250 in total (not per person) for 3 nights.

Room Tip: If you are a new couple (or are shy), I advise you to tell your partner to have a look out the windo...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Normally in Brussels I stay somewhere nice but this was a last minute trip. The hotel was about €190 so I expected semi decent for this price, but....

The NH hotel is in a central Brussels location, and is very poky and cramped. Reception is reached by climbing down a set of stairs.

Arriving in the room things get worse, the room itself being very cramped indeed, I was glad to be travelling solo as there was only enough room for me and my cabin sized suitcase, definitely a couple with larger bags would have struggled. It's been a long time since any money was spent on this place room was dingy and tired looking.

Bathroom was a bit of a disaster, was one of those showers "over bath" which I could get into okay but my colleague told me was a struggle for him as he's a bigger guy. Then, I could not get the button on the bath tap to pull up (so as to flick on the shower rather than the bath tap). I'm a fit and healthy sort of girl, definitely not frail but after 10 minutes of struggling I called reception only to be told "everyone says this you just have to keep trying it's just very difficult"!

Eventually I managed to use the keyring from my house to wedge under the button and wrench it up that way, so 15 minutes of struggle for my 5 minute shower as I was now pushed for time for dinner. Toiletries were very sparse and budget quality.

After dinner I returned to the room intending to check my work emails, only to find that the wi-fi ran so slow as to not be able to access my VPN before timeout. Gave up and tried facebook, nope too slow to load my home page there too - less than dialup speed.

Turned on the ancient cathode ray tiny portable tv to find only English language channel was CNN so spent the evening flicking between German and French language tv.

Finally gave up and attempted to sleep, bed hard and uncomfortable and room only single glazed, the kind of windows I have on my shed at home, which don't block out any noise, the tram line is outside so it sounds like a tram coming through your window all night, and when the trams eventually stop there are drunk people shouting. All normal for a city centre I guess, but what's NOT normal is the single glazing!

After a sleepless night I went down for breakfast feeling exhausted. Breakfast was a buffet, adequate but low quality. A real shame as I look forward to nice bakery items normally in Belgium, but these are not to be found here, it's the cheapest of the cheap.

Back up to the room to struggle with the shower (had to use shampoo as shower gel there were so little toiletries) and then thankfully to check out and vow never to return.

All this for €190 a night - just awful.

Room Tip: Just don't do it to yourself.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank SusansBackInScotland
Reviewed November 30, 2012

The hotel is central and always seemed busy; rooms are small but clean; beds are firm and uncomfortable. Bathroom is also small but functional, shower is in bath. Little provided in the way of toliteries, apart from shampoo and bath gel, and a small bar of soap. TV is old style CRT and has only 2 English (news) channels. Breakfast buffet is adequate and has wide range of choices.

Room Tip: High floor away from lift
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business