“RUN!!! ESCAPE!!! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT STAYING AT THIS DUMP!!!”
Review of Hotel du Congres

Hotel du Congres
Ranked #104 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
San Antonio, Texas
“RUN!!! ESCAPE!!! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT STAYING AT THIS DUMP!!!”
Reviewed July 18, 2011

My two children and I arrived at 9:45 pm on June 27 for what was supposed to be a three night stay. I had made a three night reservation based on their website and because of the location. The kids and I walked in and were given the key to our room - 119. I do need to tell you that on this day, Europe was in the grip of a heat wave and the temperature was still in the high 90's at the time we arrived at the hotel. We opened the door to our room and it was like a furnace. Boiling hot. I immediately told my 15-year-old son to look for the thermostat so we could get the air going. There wasn't one. I told him to go to the front desk and ask how do we get the air on. My son quickly came back to the room and informed me and his sister that the man at the front desk said the whole hotel did not have air conditioning and that he said "if we wanted air conditioning, we could open the (one) window in the room." At first I thought the air situation was a major problem but quickly realized that was the least of our problems (more in a minute). I opened the window to see that our room overlooked a gravel roof and not ten feet across was an open window which looked into someone's apartment.

The kids were so very miserable from the heat. My son's hair was stuck to his neck and my ten-year-old daughter started developing a heat rash. That's how hot is was in the room. Having the window open gave us the added benefit of having all the bugs fly in because of the light. I knew we had to leave. Then I started looking around the room and knew not only because of the lack of air, but for safety reasons, I had to get my children out of there. As you can see from the photos that my kids took while I was frantically on the phone and my computer trying to find another hotel, there was mold all around the room, holes in the walls, filth on the carpet, and my son said "Look, Mom! There are ants crawling all over the table." The place was a DUMP.

I went downstairs to express my complete disgust to the front desk person and told him we had to leave. Keep in mind this was less than half an hour after we had checked in. As a side note, it seemed so much cooler on the lobby level. I guess they had some kind of air system on that floor. I told front desk person that because of the lack of air conditioning my son's hair was stuck to his neck, my daughter had developed a rash, there were ants all over the room, not to mention the mold and holes in the walls. The front desk person told me that the hotel is in an old victorian building and I should have known there would not be air. I told him the hotel website clearly states "modern conveniences" and I never dreamed to ask if there was air since the hotel in fact lists itself as a three start hotel. What he told me next just floored me. He said if we left he would still have to charge me for three nights because reservations cannot be cancelled. I showed him my confirmation where a link is given to cancel reservations and he said the rate I received cannot be cancelled!

So back in the room is when the kids took it upon themselves to take pictures while I again was on the phone and the computer trying to find a room. I found a nearby Sheraton that had a room available. I told the lady what was going on and she was so very nice. She even called a taxi for us to pick us up and take us to the Sheraton. The kids were so happy. We gathered our bags, went downstairs, and I told front desk person that we were leaving. He asked me where did we find a room and I quickly told him there were two places I found and I wasn't sure which one we were going to (of course, we were going to the Sheraton. I wasn't about to tell him where we were going). He told me again that he was going to have to charge me for all three nights. I told him I could not have my children in a room with mold, ants, filthy carpet, and holes in the walls, not to mention no air during a heat wave and he didn't seem to care. I told him I wanted a receipt and he gave it to me. I was charged 465 euros. Front Desk person's parting words to me were "we are a three-star hotel and apparently did not meet your needs." My response to him "Sir, I have stayed in two-star hotels that are like The Ritz compared to this place." He was nice enough to offer to call a cab for us and I thanked him and told him one was already on the way for us. After waiting outside for less than five minutes, the taxi arrived and took us to the Sheraton. We were in heaven. We had a nice, safe room and we had escaped from the dump.

Don't even think about staying here. Dump is putting it nicely. Mold, holes in the walls, filth, rust, ants.....and they call themselves a three star hotel?

6 Thank AlamoCityLady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Charlestown, Rhode Island
Reviewed July 6, 2011

This was once an elegant place, I'm sure. With tall ceilings and ornate word work, it is lovely but in need of a bit of upkeep. We had a quad which was two twins and a bunk bed in what was once a walk-in closet with the door removed! The bath was recently redone but the door handles on the bathroom and window kept falling off and while I did report it, nothing was done. One desk clerk (Sunday night) was horrible! He was rude and very unhelpful telling us that there was no place for us to have dinner that night! The others were ok, but I noticed they were all much nicer to those who spoke French better than we did. The free breakfast buffet was ample and delicious and the wifi only worked effectively in the lobby. It was an easy walk to the Grand Place. I'd stay again.

1 Thank ProfBBB
Los Altos, CA
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We were a family of 4 and, as requested, stayed in a family room that was located in the building across the street from the main lobby. The room was clean and comfortable and looked to be recently remodeled. Not a luxury hotel by any means, but I had no complaints about the hotel. The breakfast was reasonably good too. Note: It's about a 20 minute walk from the hotel to the Grand-Place.

Edinburgh
Reviewed March 5, 2011

This is a gem - a quirky, unusual hotel within easy distance of the old part of Brussels. It is a combination of two houses and there are lots of original features. There are also a number of fairground horses here and there - like I say, quirky! Very good value for money too.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
York
Reviewed February 28, 2011

I stayed in the 'new' side which was fine. The room was basic, but it was clean. For this the price was high, but Brussels is expensive. My colleague upstairs had no curtains or blinds in the windows. Most members of the group found the shower too small and one person was disappointed there was no telephone in the room. Another colleague who stayed in the 'main' hotel had a dirty room with worn furnishings - for this room the charge was extortionate. Breakfast was ok but nothing special.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed February 18, 2011

The room i was given matched my expectations and my requests, I am giving it 4 stars based on the hotel's class for its three star rating category. The single room had a single bed, a table and an attached bathroom. All basic.

It is well located just about 400 meters to the Madou train station, and is walkable without using a cab. The best point about this hotel is the free Internet access that comes with it. The hotel's internet speeds were one of the best I had experienced so far (for a hotel standard).

Room was well heated with an adjustable radiator as well in the winter. Utilities such as soaps were basic. The room could also do better with more clothes hangars (only 3 in my room).

Breakfast lady was however with quite grumpy faces early in the morning, which I would not fully blame because I am not a morning person myself :P. Overall, this hotel is good but perhaps improvements could be made like adding more color variety to the room?

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank enlightened_0ne
London
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Stayed here on business. The hotel is OK but single rooms are small and a bit utilitarian. Good free wifi and staff quite friendly. Also lots of eateries nearby. Breakfast was poor - nothing properly replenished, staff disinterested.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business