“Lived like a King”
Review of FishMarket B&B

FishMarket B&B
Ranked #13 of 212 Brussels B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I have not experienced such a nice room with all the extras and the warmth of the hostess' welcome for a long time. You cannot tell from the outside what a beautiful 200+ year old home in on the inside. The room was spacious with a love seat, small table and chairs and one of the largest built in closets that I have seen in years. Elizabeth put out an incredibly fresh, attractive breakfast every day and I gathered that if she was able, she'd modify things for someone with special dietary needs.

The B&B is within a reasonable walk of almost everythiing in central Belgium. There is a subway stop down the street and marvelous restaurants (largely seafood) all around.

I don't expect to be back in Brussels, but if I thought I might, I'd be planning my trip around Fish Market B&B availability.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Tom B

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed on 10/20/2012, highly recommend for B&B experience. Was exhausted from red-eye, happy to get a quiet room and comfy bed. No TV as some other reviews mention, but who cares...free WiFi. Easy walking distance to all tourist areas. Very nice, beautifully decorated and friendly . :-)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank ZuzuBuzu
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This must be the best B&B in Brussels. We stayed here for two nights with a couple of friends while touring the city and it was absolutely wonderful. Elisabeth and Thierry are excellent hosts and made us feel right at home and were very helpful in suggesting restaurants, making reservations on our behalf and ordering cabs etc.

The neighbourhood is nice and quiet, while being only a short walk away from the city centre and key sights such as the Grand Place. Also, there are quite a few good restaurants around - we would recommend 'La Villette' and 'Le Pre Sale', which are nearly just around the corner from the B&B.

We stayed in the two rooms on the bottom floor, which are 19th century style and nicely decorated with various art. Be aware that only one of the rooms have an ensuite showerroom and none have ensuite toilets, however you just need to step outside the room to access either, so it did not really bother us at all. Showerrooms and toilets are renovated recently. The cozy breakfast lounge is on the first floor and has direct access to a nice, secluded roof terrace. Breakfast was great with freshly baked bread from the bakery, croissants and waffles.

This is the perfect base for a weekend get-away to Brussels for a couple or a small group of friends. Families may consider booking the apartment on the top floor.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lars H
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My cousin and I stayed here last week for one night at the beginning of our trip to Brussels, Bruges and Amsterdam. It was an easy walk from the Metro in a very central location. Our flight arrived quite early, but we headed over to drop off our bags. Elizabeth welcomed us in and offered us coffee and some breakfast even though we weren't supposed to check in until the afternoon. We were able to spend some time with some other guests who were having breakfast and heading out. The house is lovely and open with the guest rooms on the bottom floor away from the main part of the house. You walk up the stairs through a room with floor to ceiling board games to the dining area which offers a lovely view of the patio (it was too cold to eat out there). The breakfast table was set up for us with fresh breads, yogurt, fruit, coffee and juice. This was adequate for us, but I'm sure Elizabeth would have been happy to provide anything else upon request as she was very accommodating. The only thing I would warn anyone about is that the toilet was not in our room. We did have a shower and sink in our room (which was beautifully appointed and very warm and cozy), but you had to walk outside and down a few steps to get to the toilet. If you get up in the middle of the night, you will wake up your partner as you open the squeaky main door, and if you are not fully awake, you could easily hurt yourself going down the steps to the toilet. This is why I gave it 4 stars rather than 5. We had a nice one night stay and would certainly visit again if we were ever back in Brussels.

Room Tip: Our room did not have a toilet in the room; perhaps the other room does...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Claire R
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We recently spent two nights in Brussels in an apartment offered by the Fish Market B&B. It was suitable for us - three adults - with a separate bedroom and a sofa in the living room that converts into a bed. There is also a completely furnished kitchen and a device for playing music with your iphone or similar device. There was also free wi-fi.
The apartment is a short walk to the Grand Place and it was completely furnished, even including three umbrellas in case of rain. In addition, our hostess stocked the kitchen with food and supplies for breakfast, including waffles!!
The apartment is very light and charming. I would highly recommend it. The Fish Market B&B also has other rooms.

Room Tip: The room is on the fourth floor, so it might not be suitable if steps are a problem.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank BklynNotes
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I was drawn to stay here by the reviews, and fair to stay it made for a perfect nights stay. The hospitality, the breakfast and the room was beyond any b&b I've ever stayed in before! The standard would take many a starred hotel to task. There are the normal tourist brochures, I was impressed when asked what I was interested in , then pointed to e right information.
I would also highly recommend picking up a use-it map of Brussels and visiting their office store just around the corner, I used the map and suggestions for most of my first day's touring. It's as helpful as a lonely planet guide but a lot less cumbersome!
I write this sitting on my king size bed, prepared for my second and last day in this wonderful city. What time do the pubs open, I must get back to no 32 on the map for another glass of true Lambic beer.

Room Tip: I don't think that there could be any disadvantage to any of the rooms. As I said in my review...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Daj59
Reviewed August 9, 2012

In a fabulous house in the "coolest" neighborhood of brussels : Fish market, designer clothing, etc ... Two beautiful rooms in a 19th century house. Breakfast made with fresh baked goods, home made jam, delicious coffee and teas. Definitely a wonderful way to get to know brussels.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo