“Be careful with your money!”

The Hotel - Brussels
Ranked #17 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed in this hotel last week. It is lovely hotel, but be aware of possible credit card fraud. At reception I was asked for my credit card, it was swapped and a day later I realized that bigger amount of money then I expected was blocked on my credit card account. Hotels always tell their customers about an additional deposit (usually 50EUR), but not here! 150EUR extra were blocked without telling anything – I was not asked to put my PIN code or sign the papers, even verbally I was not told about the deposit. I always read T&C, but there was nothing mentioned about that.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Kelly W, DotCom Manager at The Hotel - Brussels, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear RomanZda,

I can reassure you that the standard credit card authorization procedure was followed.
This procedure varies in different countries, and is a policy of The Hotel. Brussels, and most hotels in Brussels to ask for your credit card as a guarantee for possible extras guests order during their stay. As soon as a guest checks out the amount blocked as a guarantee is automatically released. I apologize that we didn't inform you about this during your check-in, and will also have our legal department look into our Terms & Conditions.

Kindest Regards,

Kelly Wouters
DotCom Manager
The Hotel. Brussels

Reviewed June 3, 2013

The hotel is located close to Louiza metro, only a few minutes walk away so good location for reaching European Quarters and the touristy spots via Metro. Room was nicely decorated, everything you expected, including a nice touch that you can plug in ipods. Spa was disappointing as I was expecting more but it's really a sauna and steam room with a good view, although steam room was out of operation during my stay. Breakfast was lovely with good views over the city - great options for hot, cold and drinks. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: take a room higher up for the views
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
HotelBrusselsManager, Manager at The Hotel - Brussels, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear Sindy,

Thank you very much for your review.
We very much appreciate your comments as we strive to always improve our services at The Hotel.
The Urban Spa currently includes 3 treatment rooms, a Large and fully equipped Fitness, 2 Relax Rooms, a Sauna and a Steam Room. Unfortunately our Steam Room is currently out-of-service due to a minor technical problem. This will be salved very soon and it will be available again to our guests.

We sincerely thank you for choosing The Hotel and hope to welcome you again in the near future!
Best regards,

Thomas Verbaet,
Brand Manager.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

The Hotel is a thoroughly modernized hotel on the Pentagon boulevard in Brussels. What I don't like is the very dark corridors and public areas, and the fact that you cannot open any windows. The hotel is located close to Louiza with a nice choice of restaurants, but it is a considerable hike to the Grand Place with no easy public transport alternatives.
The bathrooms are also modern but no handrails to assist when climbing in and out of the bath and no towel racks. Some hooks in the room for hanging coats would also have been nice.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Very average hotel. This property was picked for us by a business associate here in Brussels. The rooms are extremely small and cramped for two people. The staff was less than adequate. There was no cab service at the hotel and I had to go to the street to hail one. The location was good. I would not come back.

Room Tip: If you can afford it I recommend you look elsewhere.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Gbusiek
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Lovely entrance. Check-in reasonably easy, though generally front desk was not the best. I seemed to get served quicker in my suit than in my shorts!
Room was a newly redecorated one and is really lovely. Great views and lovely coffee machine and tea in the room. Shower had a problem but sure will be fixed. Bed very comfy and everything i needed, included lots of plug sockets and wi-fi that actually worked well.
Downside - one can still hear renovation work going on but this won't be forever and the doors of the rooms slam shut, so on both mornings I was woken very very early.
Breakfast was pretty good. Hot food was badly cooked and scrambled egg pretty disgusting but a nice selection of cold food and unlike many hotels they actually serves good orange juice and not the fake, watered down stuff.
The gym and spa is very over-hyped and in relaity the gym is sparsely equipped and the spa very small and there is a sauna, with cool views and a steam room, which was out of order.
My impression of the staff was mixed. I had meetings all day in the temporary bar area upstairs and despite being charged lots for drinks (€5 for water), the staff made every effort to make as much noise as possible, be it hoovering, clattering plates and general noise. I was not happy on check out to have been charged for items that i didn't sign for in the bar and this spoiled what was a good stay. One word of advice, if you have important meetings and want a place to meet people, this hotel is not ideal whilst the renovation is ongoing. The reception area and lounge/bar/restaurant on the 26th floor are too noisy and staff very inconsiderate.
I am sure this hotel will be great when renovation work is finished. The staff just need to work a little more on being customer friendly.

Room Tip: go high for good views.
1  Thank copperbottom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

we stayed at the hotel for one night but it felt like we were on holiday for one week! the staff was very kind, the room was overwhelming (panorama), and the service was great. and not to forget the relaxing sauna with the large view over brussels. we had a great time!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Their lobby is bit torn up at the moment for remodeling, but it really didn't cause us any problem. The hotel and rooms are gorgeous. Very clean. Extremely comfy mattress and bedding. Room a bit snug, but typically of Europe. Complimentary water, lemonade, and beer in the room fridge. Breakfast in their temporary 26th floor restaurant was great and with good views. 10min walk to museums, 15min to Grand Place. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ARL2601
HotelBrusselsManager, DotCom Manager at The Hotel - Brussels, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear ARL2601,

I'm very happy to read that you would stay with us again, and I hope you will!
It's my pleasure to inform you that our new lobby is now open, and as of September we will also unveil the new restaurant & bar, and we are very excited about it :-)

Kindest Regards,