“Amazing views from 24th floor of this newly-refurbished hotel”

The Hotel - Brussels
Ranked #16 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Wheathampstead, United Kingdom
“Amazing views from 24th floor of this newly-refurbished hotel”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We recently stayed in one of the newly refurbished Panorama rooms on the 24th floor. Large, bright room with lovely toning cushions and fabrics. There was a window seat where you could sit and admire the view over the city. We were offered complimentary use of the Panorama lounge. It was very relaxing to have a drink in there before going out for the evening, or have a late drink and see the city lit up. Very generous with wine, tapas and champagne. The staff on the reception were very helpful and friendly. This was a very enjoyable week-end stay.

Room Tip: Choose one of the new Panorama rooms
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kel_W_83, DotCom Manager at The Hotel - Brussels, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Miriam14,

We are thrilled to read that you liked the new Deluxe Panorama Room, as well as the Panorama Lounge. These are exciting times at The Hotel with the extensive renovations, and there's much more to come so don't hesitate to follow us on Facebook to stay updated.

We truly hope we may have the pleasure to welcome you again in the future!

Kindest Regards,

Kelly Wouters
DotCom Manager
The Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
brussels
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This hotel used to be a Hilton. I have been a regular customer at this hotel since I was a kid. This used to be the best central and chic spot to have lunch or meet friends and appointments. I’ve seen its glorious days when it was filled with rich Belgian retirees and when you had to wait in line to get a table. I’ve seen the hotel decline as these people slowly disappeared, but I still was a regular customer of the various restaurants and the bar.
Not so long ago I went there for a breakfast and discovered it was no longer the Hilton but The Hotel. It turned more into a cheap SAS version. Breakfast was okay but only interesting when you are hungry and raid the buffet. When you are just feeling like eating a croissant 25 EU (or was it 27?) is not a great deal.
Anyway yesterday I was in the city center by the end of the afternoon and wanted to have a drink at the bar with my mom. I walked into a deserted lobby (people call it impressive but that’s because they haven’t seen it at its Hilton splendor with carpets, sofas and piano bar, now it’s stripped down to it’s bare minimal and cold). First thing I noticed and which made a bad impression on me was a refrigerator with drinks and sandwiches in the lobby.
The bar was closed, until September. The restaurant was deserted. We didn’t feel like staying there as it was empty and cold, so decided to go home. On my way out I remembered that taxi drivers in Brussels now don’t carry change and that last time I paid much more for my trip than I had to, simply because the driver pretended he didn’t have the change on my 50 EU bill. I again was in this situation since I couldn’t use my 50 EU bill at the bar. So I stopped by the sole employee of the hotel at the reception desk and asked him if he could change 50 EU into smaller bills. He answered: Do you have a room at the hotel? I said: no. Him: then I can’t change you the money. He added it’s for security reasons. I laughed at it: that’s grave (hellooo it was not 200EU only 50). To make things even worse he added: if you take a room at the hotel I can make you the change. I answered I’m not going to take a hotel room in a city where I live. He was really ironic and superior.
Guys that’s the biggest joke I ever heard in my entire life. This city is definitely very dangerous if someone can’t hold you two 20 EU and one 10EU bills. And they must be desperate if they must extort you a room reservation!
This hotel will never see me again. The management should be aware that even if you are not a customer living in this hotel you might be a good customer for their other services like restaurant and bar. So anyone entering into this hotel should be considered as a customer and treated accordingly.
My only advice to travelers is: if you want to come to Brussels as a tourist, forget about it, skip this destination. This is just one aspect of the lousy service we deal with on a daily basis in stores, restaurants, everywhere. In Brussels customer service doesn’t exist.
If you come here for business and your room has been paid for by someone else it’s more acceptable. Don’t expect anything good, this way maybe you’ll be at times pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear lipi5star,

I completely understand that you feel frustrated about the incident with the money exchange, and I would like to apologize for the fact that you didn't receive a more detailed explanation.

Our Team is not allowed to exchange money for people who are not making use of facilities of The Hotel like the restaurant, bar or a room simply because we suffered from a lot of exchange tricks in the past. However when someone makes use of the restaurant or bar, and asks the restaurant or bar team for exchange they will gladly do so. The same for the reception team for guests with a room. I will address your input with our entire team to avoid situations like this in the future, so thank you for sharing your experience which allows us to improve our communication.

With regards to The Hotel, you might not have noticed but we are currently renovating the entire building. We started with the top floors and are working our way down. Don't hesitate to get in touch with me directly if you would like to discover our brand new Panorama Lounge on the 24th floor which offers an incredible view over Brussels. I would love to meet you so we can sort things out.

Kindest Regards,

Kelly Wouters
DotCom Manager
The Hotel.
Nairobi
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Had a wonderful, luxury break in Brussels in this super hotel. Room (deluxe) was well furnished with every comfort. Complimentary minibar with quality products (bathroom products also of similar quality).

Excellent choice of breakfast.

Use of panoramic lounge with amazing views across the City. The lounge is so comfortable, with a range of fine wines, beers and delicious snacks. A very relaxed environment.

The hotel was a real treat and the location couldn't be better - right next to Ave Louise and close to many major tourist attractions. Good service, hospitality and quality products. Superb value for money and I will definitely return when I get a chance.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to a deluxe room but the location of the hotel is excellent whatever room you go for...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jacqueline A
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The Hotel is a huge monolith easily visible from many parts of the city, located on the Blvd de Waterloo and surrounded by designer shops.

This is clearly a hotel aimed at the business traveller and the standard rooms are pretty devoid of personality. However, it is clean, well appointed and with good views over the city- from our corner room on the 12th floor (overlooking the Palais de Justice) you can see all the way to the Atomium.

The Hotel is very close to Louise Metro station and around a 15 min walk to Le Grand Place/ Mannekin Pis.

Tip: if you want to avoid paying a fortune for the overpriced breakfast, there are plenty of cafes nearby at about 1/3 of the price, or alternatively walk up Avenue Louise 5 mins to the branch of Carrefour and pick up some orange juice and croissants for a couple of Euros.

• Stayed August 2012
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I stayed in a renovated room on the corner of the 13th floor, with magnificent views of the north and east of the city, very comfortable bed and location. You wake up in the the sky and clouds, not to overstate but this was amazing :-) and probably the best city centre hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Trevlo
ON
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I had read some other reviews that mentioned noise levels. Yes, being in the inner ring of the city centre, there is definitely some typical city noise. However, I was not awoken or disturbed at night time by the noise level. Yes, there is also a little bit of noise coming from the hallway. I'm not sure if this is due to space under the door, or the door itself. However, if you turn the fan to its highest setting (there are 3 levels plus auto), it made enough white noise that sounds from the hall only disturbed me once or twice at night during my one week stay.

The front desk and the hotel in general is still a little bit disorganized. There was little information in the room itself - for example, how to call the front desk, how to call or send laundry in. However, the staff at the front desk was very pleasant and did their best to assist. I even had e-mails that were sent to the general hotel e-mail sealed into an envelope and slid under my door.

The location is great and close to everything, not to mention in a safe neighbourhood.

The wifi on the upper floors, once I asked at the front desk how to access it, worked really well. I had no trouble at all using it every single day and did not once find it to be slow.

The view from the upper floor is really nice and the room itself is ultra sleek and modern. There is an electric curtain that blackens the room really well. This is great for travellers! However, there was no clock in my room, so beware the dark room as you will be likely to oversleep!

The breakfast in the main restaurant is quite good, though did not vary at all through the week. Great coffee machine, delicious croissants and pastries. More than enough to please anyone, I would think.

I would stay there again in a heartbeat, if I could still afford to . . . (I think the rates will go up once the renovations are completed.)

There was no fitness facility yet when I was there.

Room Tip: Stay in the higher floors; these rooms are renovated and wonderful.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Folsom, CA
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed here as part of a GRAND CIRCLE TRAVEL tour. GRAND CIRCLE TRAVEL proclaims,“We hold our hoteliers to high quality standards so we constantly strive to provide you with the best accommodations.” This is what they refer to as a first class hotel.

OK. Walking into the lobby, the place looks impressive. But then, to our room....

Pro:
Beds were comfy.
Nice view.
Staff was nice.

Con:
Wallpaper peeling off the walls in room and in Bathroom
Gouges in walls and furniture
Mold above a/c vent
Curtains wouldn't close
Bugs on window sill
Flithy vents
Stained and fraying lamp shades
One lamp didn't work.
Slow draining shower
Sink wouldn't hold water.

Now, on to breakfast...
Pro:
Large room with nice windows.
Con:
They ran out of cups
They ran out of coffee (WHAT???)
No place to sit because there weren't enough people to bus and clean the tables
Large tour group pretty much cleaned out the buffet and nothing was replaced.
Fruit bowls not refilled

Also: Be aware that if you even TOUCH or MOVE anything in the in room fridge, you will be charged. It is electronic and notices any movement of an item. Considers them yours. Whether you use it or not.

We were at the end of a very long and exhausting trip, and knew we were going to spend very little time in the room, or we would have requested a change. Looking back, I wonder why we didn't. I hear they are remodeling. I sure hope so.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for an updated room and check it out first, before you bring your luggage up.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Nicolas V, Director of Business Experience at The Hotel - Brussels, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear abandka,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. I can assure you that we carefully read every review and act upon it since we strive to continuously improve the experience of our guests.

I confirm that we are currently in a process of remodeling, and all guest rooms will be renovated intensively. The first 'new' floors are already available and we have been receiving really good feedback about them.

Kind Regards,