“Good Value centre of Brussels”
Review of Hotel Mozart

Hotel Mozart
Ranked #140 of 198 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed March 29, 2009

I have visited Brussels virtually annually since 1985 for a week at a time to attend a conference. I found the Hotel Mozart good value for money, with interesting decor. I was extremely concerned by other's reviews, but the sheets were clean, tho' unironed, there was a clean duvet cover on the duvet, and the room was clean. The shower worked well, and there was cheap liquid shower gel provided. There were disgusting plastic cups provided to stand toothbrushes in, but it was best to just put them aside! The room was cleaned daily. Breakfast was a croissant and piece of baguette with butter, jam and a Kraft cheese slice. Coffe or tea, or expresso, etc were all available for breakfast. The reception staff were no ruder than any of the reception staff one will find in any of the cheap hotels in the centre of Brussels - and I've stayed in quite a few! I would happily stay at the Mozart again - especially as the price of 80 euro per night offset the very expensive restaurants - which amazingly were all empty for the first time in 20 years! It is literally just off the Grand Place in a street which is known to be full of kebab restaurants. My room was off the internal courtyard which was quiet - but I couldn't hear music coming from the clubs opposite even when returning to my room at 02:30.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Mozart

Reviewed February 10, 2009

I spent 2 nights at the Hotel Mozart whilst on business in Brussels at the EC. My colleague chose this hotel mainly for its cheap rate (80 euros per night) and was told they had free Internet in their lobby for guests to use.

Well, I arrived late in the evening, about 9pm. I got caught in the rain so was soaked through, so was looking forward to getting to my room. On entering the lobby, the one thing that hits you is the kind of a crazy grandeur - if you've seen Hotel Mozart's website, don't be fooled. It looks tacky, garish, and I don't know how anyone would like this kind of decor. Also, there lots of pro-Obama posters all over the hotel, a bit odd as it's very in-your-face. Which isn't a problem really, but I mean a heck of a lot of posters, as in at least one visible in every communal area. But I figured I'd look past it, and figured it's a hotel - as long as the room is nice and comfortable, it would be fine.

I got to my room, and switched the light on... and a very dull top light came on which bathed the room in a dull orange. My first impression was that I felt like I was in a brothel. The room consisted of a double bed dressed with two small pillows and a duvet - I felt it was strange that there were no cover-sheets, and I really hope they cleaned the duvet cover after every guest stayed. The desk didn't have a chair with it - so wasn't much use. The bathroom was OK; shower, loo, basin. The plastic cups they provided seemed a bit grotty so I didn't touch them. The finishing in the room was tatty, and in some parts there was plaster coming off, holes in the wall where light fittings have been moved/removed and even a few stray wires coming through holes in the ceiling. My room was a 2nd floor room facing the street above the entrance to the hotel. It's worth noting that opposite there are a few cocktail bars, and there was a lot of noise from drunk people shouting throughout the night (up until 5am I noted). At 7am the bin men come round to collect rubbish from the street, which is also noisy. Although the noise can be dulled by keeping the window shut, the heating in the hotel seemed to be on full blast so it got very stuffy.

Now, I mentioned at the beginning that we were told that the Internet in the lobby was free. But on our second day at the hotel, we were sitting in the lobby and a man who said he was the owner of the hotel told us the charge for using the Internet was 5 Euros per person for 24 hours of access. Being in a group of 8 of us, we told him we were not willing to pay, as when the rooms were booked, the hotel representative told us it was free. He then began to argue that the room rates were cheap and that they were clean, and that maybe the person who booked the room misunderstood the hotel representative. Even the concierge already gave out the Internet password to us, and did ask for a charge, and did not make a fuss about us using it, but the hotel owner was adamant about the 5 Euro charge. Anyway, we got into a bit of an argument and he was really rather rude as he would not back down, and he said if we were not happy, then to go to another hotel as they are always fully booked.

The front desk staff were indifferent. It's worth noting that they refused to show us the room before we payed. They also demanded to charge us for the room up front, with no refund if we chose to leave early. When we quizzed the hotel owner about this, he said it was because he has had guests leave without paying in the past - although we could not understand why they didn't have the facilities to swipe our cards and charge us at the end of our stay like a normal hotel would.

Redeeming features - it wasn't obviously dirty. Breakfast was OK (and included in room rate) - a piece of bread and a croissant and a small glass of juice and coffee. They had BBC1 on their TV channels. The breakfast staff were friendly. And it's the cheapest hotel you would find near the Grand Place.

But honestly, don't expect anything more than a hostel-quality room at this 'hotel'. It is really no-frills and for 80 Euros per night definitely not worth it in my opinion. Don't expect any freebees or room services (no toiletries, no refreshments in room, no room service, not even a obligatory bible in a drawer).

If I were to come back to Brussels, I would never consider this again, and would happily pay twice the rate they offered to stay somewhere that can be considered a real hotel. I left Hotel Mozart feeling unwelcomed, ripped-off and slightly dirty.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank 852traveller
Reviewed September 25, 2008

Great location if you want to be near the Grand Place, however if you want to sleep in a comfortable bed, have a good breakfast, or have a quiet room forget it. Half the rooms face a busy pedestrian street with a noisy disco across the street. Who said disco was dead? Horrible staff. We asked the night manager if he could check train schedules for us on their internet, he said he didn't know how but he was fully profecient at watching streaming video shows on it. Breakfast was mediocre. Better off going down the street and buying a good breakfast. We also met the owner whose agenda was to push Obama in front of us. He even had Obama posters scattered around the hotel. Even a diehard democrat would be turned off by this guy.

Stayed: September 2008
4  Thank partyallnightlong
Reviewed July 20, 2008

My sister and I were in Brussels this month and chose this hotel based on her experience 12 years ago. Well, the hotel was under different ownership now and it was not pleasant. The first two rooms they tried to put us in were the size of postage stamps. When we told them we would like to move to another hotel, they told us that our credit card was already charged and it was not an option. We ended up in a room that was considered a first floor room. You take the small elevator to the first floor and then you climb 30 steps to get to the room! There was no bar soap for the shower and no wash cloths offered. The breakfast room was very hard to find....again, many steps up and down and the breakfast consisted of coffee, juice and a stale piece of bread. We spent four nights here and the only good thing I can say about the place is that it is very close to the Grand Place. This is not a hotel....it is more like a youth hostel. Save your euros!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank FloridaEsther
Reviewed July 1, 2008

Booked a 4 night stay based on a review by the NYT. What a dreadful experience! We checked out after the first night and the desk clerk refused to take the charge for the rest of the stay off the credit card which was all charged up front. He said we had to speak to the manager who was never there when we came back to see him. I never did get to see "Benjamin" (they refused to provide a last name or phone number for him). I finally spoke to "Benjamin" on the phone and he said the hotel policy was no refunds - of course this was never explicity or implicity shared with us. Now I have to take my complaint to Brussels city hall because the Mozart has $600 dollars they are refusing to return. In all my international travels I've never had this kind of rip-off experience. The hotel itself.. where to start... staff are curt, disinteresed and very unprofessional - "I can do nothing" is the stock answer to any inquiry. There is a lift to the first "landing" of the building, but from there our "deluxe" room was another 2 flights of stairs and the room itself had a treacherous stairway from the door and bath to the sleeping chamber. There was no porter to help wih lugguage. You should know that air conditioning consisted of a small electric fan and an open window - the open window let in cooking smoke from nearby pomme frite bars and mosquitos. The bed very low and uncomfortable and should have been discarded many years ago. Forget about linens... there was a wrinkled dirty looking bottom sheet, no top sheet (my requests for one were ingnored) and only a heavy winter weight duvet to cover with that smelled musty and unclean - same with pillows. The whole place was shabby and unclean. After navigating a labyrinth of stairways, steps and ladders and other hazards in the halls breakfast was really horrible - you will sit down to a bad croissant, canned orange juice and weak coffee that has just been siting out at pre-set place settings. The whole place is a fire hazard and the kind of place I'd stay for punishment vs. a holiday. By the way I was told by the desk clerk that I'd never get a refund because the owner was a "friend of Obama". There are dozens of posters of Obama hanging between the bad 17th century reproductions. Totally wierd intrusions of the owner's political predilictions. This is the first time I've written a hotel review but Mozart was just over the top bad and deserves all the bad blogs it can get!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank 29Teddy
Reviewed June 26, 2008

My first impression when I walked into the hotel lobby was "WOW". Beautifully decorated in the style of the time of Mozart with an arabesque twist. I stayed for 6 days, 6 nights and really got the full flavor of this hotel. My first assigned room was an extremely small room with a smaller than full size bed but larger than a twin. I paid 80 euros for it and luckily enough, I spoke with the front desk and they upgraded me to the next size up for no extra money. I had two extremely large pieced of luggage and I needed room to open then. The rooms are not at all what is depicted in their brochures and on the website. The room that they advertise is Room 113 which is their nicest room. Very large and spacious and has a king size bed. The rest of the rooms are mediocre with a lot of outside flair on paintings that have gold frames and marble table tops..however if you move anything it all comes apart. The marble moves off the table and the door handles and towel racks come off the wall. This hotel is run by Moroccan Arabs. They have been decorating this hotel for over 17 years. Everything that you see from the lobby to the rooms was purchased dirt cheap....gold and glitz everywhere but it is all superficial. The bathrooms have soap dispensers like something you would see in a public bathroom and no bars of soap or little bottles of shampoo and conditioner. They leave you two plastic drinking cups that have been used by guests over and over again. Not sanitary at all! I am a moderate bacteria phobe but when I turned the plastic cups over and looked inside I saw dirt from many times being used lodged into the crevices of the cup. What a turn off! Yuck! If you are looking for a sanitary place to stay..you have the wrong hotel. Also the beds are two twins pushed together and the bedspread is a DUVET (which is a blanket covered with a sheet. This blanket never gets washed and you will not get a top sheet to shield your skin from the contaminents of the blanket on top of your skin. Just think how many people have slept in that bed and how the blanket never gets washed and every person that sleeps there has the blanket directly on their skin with no clean sheet to protect you. Unblievable! I asked for a top sheet and they just dont exist at this hotel. In fact they have NO IDEA what you are talking about. I checked out at least 6 other rooms in the hotel and I saw what the exective room looks like and the rooms that have bunk beds ( one bed on top of the other). I was going to upgrade to the executive room for 150 euros but when I walked in, there were two twin beds instead of one big bed and the floor slanted down like a haunted house. My equlibrium is perfect and the fact that I was standing or sitting at a constant slant really got to me. This hotel is eccentric..like the old mansion where everyroom has a new slant and the pictures on the way sit at an angle. If you look eccentric and differnet look no further. The staff is friendly...especially HENRY. Henry is not the owner but he is very very nice and will accommodate you to the best that his position will allow. The owner is also moroccan arab and he speaks perfect english. He went to school in america so he is very familiar with americans and all of their quirks. There are posters of OBAMA for president stapled everywhere. Obviously the owner totally advocates Obama.. They play classical music 24/7 which is really really nice. Breakfast is included and it is quite satisfactory. Fresh croissants are brought in daily and cheese, bread, butter and jam and coffee and orage juice is served. You are directly in the center of town on what they call "Pita Street". It is a constantly live area with clubs and bars that go on till 4am. If you are looking for a quiet place to stay..you have the wrong hotel. Also, there is no air conditioning in the rooms so if you want ventilation open the window which can be quite sweltering on a hot and sunny day. The pizza place that has a wood burning stove operating from 5pm to 3am spews smoke into the air and it comes into the window and you smell like a pizza factory when you leave the room. Every room is a smoking room so for those who dont like cigarette smoke or any kind of smoke your clothes are going to smell like it no matter whether you like it or not. I would recommended NOT drinking the water from the tap. The rooms in this hotel are not any smaller than the rest of Europe and the size of their rooms..quite comparable...however you will get so-called glitz and glamour which is quite fake since everything is falling apart. The only area that is maintained is the lobby. The free wireless internet access is not in the room but in the hotel lobby. They are having problems with connectivity so your internet connection will last 30 minutes and will shut down 30 minutes and will continue like this for the entire duration while you check/send your emails. Be careful when you look for hotels in europe when they say "free" wireless. Also make sure you ask for air conditioning and a shower versus a bathtub. I've stayed in hotels all over Europe and this hotel by far...deceives the customer. You have to ask a lot of questions before making the hotel reservation. If I were to go back there I would only stay in Room 113. And make sure you bring a top sheet!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank WORLDTRAVELER001042
Reviewed February 18, 2008

It's right by the Grand Palace, but it's also right across the street from a night club with stayed open until 4am one night.

Service - Indifferent to travelers, it's a high turnover hotel. They also were working in the hallways at 8am.

Room - Small, hot (no AC) and stinky bathroom

Location - Great for attraction access, walk everywhere from it

Breakfast - Horrible. Went out for Belgiam waffles instead. Go to other hotels and pay for theirs...

Price - about 100 Canadian dollars, 98 US