“Opulence in the center of Brussels”
Review of Hotel Mozart

Hotel Mozart
Ranked #154 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

We found Hotel Mozart online before our European excursion and made a 1 night reservation. When we were exploring the palace and central square in Brussels, we were thrilled to discover that our hotel was just behind the area, maybe 30 seconds of walking.
The staff was friendly and the hotel is dripping with details. The walls are carved and covered in gold and fine art.There is fancy furniture and even expensive looking jewelry on display. The layout is unique and winds through stairways and hallways, even going through an outdoor, fountain patio on the second floor. Very neat.
Our room was large enough and had a Moroccan feel to it. There were a few cosmetic issues and squeeky floorboards, but it's a very old building in an even older city. We enjoyed opening our window and hearing the bustle of the city beyond.
The next morning, we decided to ask about staying another night and they said it was no problem, even honoring the discounted rate we had reserved weeks ago for our next night!
When we did check out, the owner came over to thank us personally and make sure everything was right. I recommend this one-of-a-kind hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stayed 1 night in this hotel. Its a budget hotel - and it was perfect for me. Perfect tourist location and very easy check-in. The rooms are not very nice - more like a single room at a backpackers hostel - but you pay for the location.
TLeaving the hotel: here is usually a French/Belgian man at the counter who runs things, but in this evening there was a middle-aged African man on the desk (yesterday). I asked him where I could find a taxi rank and he offered to call a cab for me. It took 10 minutes to arrive and I was suspicious.
He called an illegal taxi - one of his friends no doubt- the taxi refused to use the meter after we were on the road and tried to charge me 55 euros (normally 30 euros) He even said he paid the hotel staff 10 euros for coming to the hotel.
The management employs this criminal man - Avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Englishmannn
Reviewed September 7, 2013

In some ways, this hotel was amazing: the lobby, all the gold details, the narrow stairs that feels like a labyrinth where you sometimes get lost, the fact that it's just 1 minute away from the Grand Place and the central station... But in many other aspects, this hotel was terrible. The street is filled with bars and clubs, therefore screaming and singing men will accompany your (lack of) sleep until 4 AM since the hotel is not at all soundproof. You'll hear everything from the street. The room standard is not very high: dirty, uncomfy, small. The wi-fi is slow and works only in the lobby, not in the rooms. There is no AC. The continental breakfast was OK but I preferred going to Starbucks nearby at the central station since it felt cleaner and they had better coffee.

To sum it up: gold and a fountain don't really make up for all the other things.

If you are 22 years old, planning to be drunk throughout the night and don't really mind lack of hot water or a lot of dirt in the corners, then this is the hotel for you. For everybody else: try another place.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Edward S
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed here for a short business trip to brussels and the reasons were:

Great location - near the central station and the grand place.
Good value for the city centre - 70 euros for a single en suite room.
Interesting decoration - a taste of morocco with the carved plaster and tiles you see there.
Friendly staff
It is in an area where as a single female I felt safe and had a lot of choices of places to eat nearby.
Attractive little courtyard with fountain.

I was offered a choice of room at the front or the back - I chose the front which was a mistake as it was very noisy (the restaurants nearby had tables outside just under my window). Ask for a room at the back or take earplugs. Last time I stayed was February and no-one was eating outside!

The room was very small, but clean and the bathroom spotless with plenty towels. The shower was nice and powerful too, although it did point at you rather than down from above.

Breakfast was fine if not particularly special.

Wifi worked without any problems, not the fastest ever but it let me check metro timetables so was very useful.

This is not a 4* hotel but a small, slightly quirky family run one that is handy for the station and the centre and was just what I needed for a convenient place to stay. The staff were pleasant too.

Room Tip: The back would be quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2013

lovely helpful staff, available 24 hours; a piano playing owner; completely in Moroccan style, colours , materials, ornaments; quirky steep staircases and uneven floors;
an absolute delight; great place to stay, within metres of Grand Place and only 3 minutes walk from Central Station, which is 20 minutes from the Airport. Virtually traffic-free; breakfast perfectly adequate before a day of possibly gorging on waffles, chocolate and chips Brussels-style.
W-LAN reception at times difficult.

Room Tip: street side is VERY loud all night, as it is a side street full of adjoining Restaurants. just when...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Firstly, the location for this hotel probably couldn't be bettered. Only five minutes walk from Grand Place and fifteen minutes from railway station.
But then you get here.
The decor of this place can only be described as "unique". Every surface in the corridoors and reception is covered in highly painted, decorated tiles. And when I mean every surface, I mean every surface: floors, walls, ceilings. Gold lacquer everywhere, with bits of unfortunate "trash" masquerading as "art".
The room was small, but very clean. The furniture was rubbish.
Breakfast can only be described as revolting. Tried to eat it once, but for the rest of our stay we went to one of the numerous cafe nearby. I don't think we'll be going again.
But it was very cheap

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Usually we choose hotels accurately but in this case we relied on the recommendation of the well known guide website and didnot search in depth.

We discovered from the begining that room was not prepared for us, the sheets were dirty, there were no towels, it was really small room and the window went to the noisy street. Unfriendly receptionist change the key immediately and gave us a better room.

Rooms are not renovated for a long time, dust was everywhere, when we arrived there was can of some drink that cleaning lady forget to clean. A bathroom reminded me the bathroom of a cheap hostel, old, cold, no shampoo, just a cheap soap for hands.

During the night it was very hot. There was no air conditioning.

Very poor breakfast, no possibility of choice, the commun pot of jam and hot cheese and butter was not appetizing.

I could not recommend this place even for one night. It was simply horrible!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple