“Excellent quiet location in city centre”
Review of Le Dixseptieme

Le Dixseptieme
Ranked #79 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
“Excellent quiet location in city centre”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in December as an Anniversary trip and to visit the Christmas markets. Arriving by Eurostar, we walked from the Gare du Midi which is only about 25 minutes once you work out the directions. Later found that you can go for free to the Gare Central, which is right next to the hotel, on the train. The hotel is located in a quiet side street by a church and you would hardly know that you were in the centre of a capital city. Check in was quick and efficient and the receptionist showed us to our room which was in the new part of the hotel across a small courtyard. Our room was a junior suite which was large and comfortable with a separate seating area. This is not a chain hotel so don't expect everything to be the same as each room has its own character, it is also fairly old so floors creak but not enough to be a problem. The bar was closed for refurbishment so we didn't use that but the breakfast the next morning was good quality continental style with different bread, croissants, meat and cheese etc with plenty of choice. It is located in a cosy room just off reception which was tastefully decorated for Christmas.
The huge plus for this hotel is its location. On leaving the hotel turning left takes you to a small square. passing good class shops (EXK does very nice food for lunch). There were a few Christmas stall there but if you continue for no more than 50 yards a left turn takes you straight into Grand Place, the medieval heart of the city, which is lit up at night for Christmas. The nearby Bourse has a small Christmas market and 10 minutes walk takes you to St Catherines where the main market (240+ stalls) is located. To explore further, a right turn from the hotel entrance takes you to the Gare Central where you can go the the Metro station and buy various passes giving use of the metro, tram and bus systems. once you work out where these run you can get anywhere quickly and efficiently.
On our last day we had a late afternoon Eurostar so the hotel were happy for us to leave our bags with them for us to collect later.

All in all a great stay in a great hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new part are very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JAC157_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Washington, DC
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We stayed at Le Dixseptieme for just one night in November 2013 and wish our stay had been longer. After arriving early following an overnight flight from the U.S. We expected to have to wait all day to check in. We were happily surprised that they were able to check us into our room mid-morning. Our room, the Rubens in the old part of the hotel, was billed as a junior suite but was substantially larger than many apartments I've lived in in NY and DC. It was beautifully appointed, had a great soaking tub, and was - most importantly - quiet. We got good restaurant recommendations from the staff, who while rather reserved by American standards were happy to assist when asked, and found the location extremely convenient to center city sights. We will stay there again when we find ourselves in Brussels.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WanderingOne
San Luis Obispo
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at this nice little hotel. We had a jr. suite in the older section, which was quiet. One disappointment was that the sitting room was down a steep flight of steps from the bed area, and the one TV was in the sitting area which had seating only on one uncomfortable love seat. I love watching TV from bed, so could not. My other disappointment was that the room was a bit worn around the edges, with no architectural interest except some bare roof supports that my husband hit his head on while getting in bed. i would go back, but I would talk with the front desk in advance to find out the particular layout of my room.

Room Tip: Book direct with the hotel and get specifics of the room you will be staying in.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank The_Paper_Lady
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I travelled to Brussels with my senior mother as a surprise visit to explore the christmas markets.

I booked Le Dixseptieme after reading the reviews and based on location, and I am delighted I did. I wrote ahead and explained that if possible we would like a quiet room with minimal stairs.

We were greeted by name on arrival, (always a nice touch I think,) we had been upgraded from a junior suite to an executive suite in order to accomodate my requests and the room was just exquisite.

Warm, beautifully restored and furnished, very comfortable, extremely clean and everything you could need. The sitting lounge was great for break to catch up on the news on the flat screen TV or use stereo system, there was even a light wool throw for the chilly nights. The bedroom area had a 'hidden' wardrobe with safe, iron and board, and another TV screen. A very spacious bathroom, plush towels and robes.

The staff have been over accommodating, very friendly and the public areas are beautifully sympathetic to the age of the building. Location wise we couldn't be happier.

You will see from my other reviews, I do my homework and choose wisely. I will stay in this hotel again, without a doubt, it has made our mini break just perfect. It is a true class of a hotel, in a world of faceless chain hotels with no style or substance.

Room Tip: Write ahead and tell them what you need. We stayed in suite Knopff, with wooden floors and gorgeous...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Athens, Ohio
Reviewed November 1, 2013

What a great stay! Our "room" was like an apartment -- long wood-floored hallway, separate WC and bath room, closet space, large living space with sofa and seating, gorgeous desk and big 4-poster bed with curtains all around, plus high ceilings, hardwood floors and large windows. Details like mini-fridge, corkscrew, all types of wine & bar glassware, cozy robe and slippers made all the difference. Breakfast was a good French-style hotel breakfast: sliced meats and cheeses, yogurts, fruit, bread and baked goods, jam, etc., and the gentle combination of lights and table candles eased us into the day. Also, while we were "sans enfants" on this trip, we noted the patience and helpful attitude of staff assisting a family with a toddler. The location was really convenient - just a short dash to the central station. I would absolutely stay here again, especially since the service was so great and the price was quite reasonable.

Room Tip: I think we stayed in the "Jordeans" suite - loved it.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank R M
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stayed at this hotel twice, 10 days apart. The first experience was absolutely great; the lower rating of this review reflects my second stay, which had a couple of real problems.

This is a very good 4-star property, located only steps from the Brussels Central Station. My first stay, I had booked a "normal" room but was upgraded to a junior suite, which was fabulous: dead quiet, extremely spacious with strong wi-fi. The sheets were quite luxurious. Only negative to room was that it was reached via an outdoor courtyard, which was subject to rain. The bath accoutrements were gorgeous, though water pressure was not very strong. Breakfast was excellent, though coffee was not very good.

Now, on to the second stay. This time I was given a room on the top floor, the fifth floor. You took the elevator to the 4th floor and then walked up one flight, which was not so bad. HOWEVER, the room was situated in a refurbished attic, with sloping walls on which I bumped my head repeatedly. Now, I may be a clumsy oaf but you shouldn't have to be a trained ballet dancer to stay in a 4-star hotel without injury. This was especially important in the shower, which was so crowded in by the sloping walls that there was nowhere to hang the shower head for an overhead position.

The other negative was that the wi-fi did not work at all in the room! I told the front desk person about it, and he said he would investigate, but later said he was too busy to do so. Not the end of the world (I could get wi-fi in the lobby OK) but I was in Brussels to work, and this made it somewhat awkward.

In short, I do recommend the hotel - it is very nice and charming - but charm is no substitute for things working. Be careful of what room you get!

Room Tip: Recommend a junior suite if you can afford it. A "normal" room only if it is on the groun...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank danlev
Los Alamitos, California
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in two different rooms at the Dixseptieme. Both were junior suites, and both rooms were wonderful. Our first room was in the newer part of the hotel. It was very large, quiet, and beautiful. It had a large tv and separate room with music, speakers,and sound system. The second room was in the older section of the building. Again, room was charming--a split level, creaky floors added to its charm. It contained a painting by Paulus, the artist the room was named for. Our stay included excellent breakfasts: croissants, cereal, eggs, sausages, yoghurt...
We were especially pleased by the help we received from the front desk: we met Christophe, Hilda, Phillippe, and Regis, who, among other things, found cardboard and a scales for my husband to help him pack his beer, and arranged an early breakfast (3:45 am) for us the day we had a flight. Hotel is convenient to the Grand Place, walking distance to the Bozar, on a charming street by waffle shop, fries, Neuhaus chocolates, and art shops.

• Stayed October 2013