“Nothing special”

Hotel a la Grande Cloche
Ranked #88 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Maybe I was expected too much by these good reviews. I felt just NORMAL. In fact, location was very good. But the room and staff were nothing special. Wifi was very weak. I felt its a bit expensive for these details. The restaurant across the street was awesome. There was super nice staff and good price dishes.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Lacshan1

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Two of us stayed here on two separate occasions - a one-night stay, and later a two-night stay. For the one-night stay we took a double room with the shared bathroom (shower and sink were in the room). The second stay was a double room that had a bathroom. The first room was small, but not unmanageably so. The second room was bigger and quite nice for the price. The shared bathroom was just down the hall and clean (though very small). Linens and towels were clean, and the showers were very nice (looked like a recent renovation perhaps). All of the people are the check-in desk with very friendly, spoke good English, and offered helpful recommendations when asked. The first day we arrived at around 10am without a reservation and were able to go to our room immediately; we had a pre-planned reservation for the second stay, and arriving around noon were also able to head to our room upon arrival.

Perhaps most importantly, the location was just perfect. A 10-minute walk to both the Grand'Place and Midi/Zuid train station, it was perfect for walking to all corners of central Brussels (it's a very compact center). When we first arrived at Midi station we took the Metro (two stops) and then walked a block to the hotel; but we quickly realized that it was just as easy to walk to/from the station and save the money. When we left Brussels we walked instead to the Centraal Station (located near Grand'Place) which was about equidistant (we wanted one last waffle!).

All-in-all I would highly recommend this hotel for the casual traveler to Brussels. It may not have all of the bells and whistles of the more expensive hotels, but for the price and location, it's a very good deal.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I'm a single, budget traveler and balance this by looking for small pensions and hotels within walking distance of where I want to visit. This hotel fit the bill perfectly. A very nice staff, a couple blocks from metro, 5 minute walk to the gay neighborhood and 10 minute, at most, walk to the main tourist sites, such and M. Pis and Grand Square. I also easily walked uptown to see the parks, Palace of Justice and not-to-be-missed Gothic church. It's 2 or 3 stops from Central station (don't walk it). My only complaint is the very nice breakfast room was overpriced and it was not made clear when I checked in that it was not included in the room price...you show your key and they add it to the room bill. I was there over May Day and there was a huge concert and rally in the square it faces, which was too bad, but the square was cleaned up beautifully the next day.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Nice hotel which is relatively close to two underground stations. Quite central but there isn't really much to do around the area. Not very many good restaurants close by either. Hotel staff were incredibly friendly, rooms and bathrooms were huge and spacious. Free wifi and water dispenser. Access to computers and printing for a small fee. Great experience!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Everything was fine in this hotel. Its centraly located. The Staff seems to be Nice. The price its fair. The room was spacious and simple with All You need for a couple of nights. Free and good wi fi. The Street near this hotel have plenty of spaces Where You can buy chego food.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We arrived at the Hotel a la Grande Cloche for the first day of our trip. It was surprisingly easy to get to the hotel from the airport using local trains then walking from the city center - Grande Place. We found the hotel to be quite adequate; not a luxury place but great for the price. The wi-fi was intermittent on the top floor where we stayed, otherwise everything in the room worked and was clean, the staff was competent and the breakfast good.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2014

After reading similar reviews, I chose this hotel & stayed there on Saturday 11th January 2014.

This is my personal experience:-

We arrived at this hotel around 15.15 and went to reception.

The male receptionist (white guy, grey hair, 50-60 y.o.) looked at me and grunted in a low voice "What do you want ?". YES - that's how he greeted me. No joke. In a laugh-it-off-manner I answered that "I have a reservation here". He then "clicked" into polite mode - as if realizing what he'd said to me - and then said "Welcome to Brussels". NOT a good first impression.

Check-in was quick & easy I will say that. The double room on the fourth floor was clean & had a excellent view of the long road the hotel's located.

After exploring the main town (10 mins away on foot) , I came back around to the hotel around 21.45. I asked the new male receptionist (brown guy, 45-55 y.o. ) "As tmrw is a Sunday, can we have the room for a bit longer than the check-out time of 11am?". I was given an answer of "We only have one cleaner working tomorrow - so NO". He said the standard "You can pay for another day or leave your bags here until you leave". Scant consolation for a customer who has already paid for a double room !

However, come 11.07am on Sunday morning, the male receptionist (the same man that "greeted" me on my arrival) CALLED OUR ROOM TO INFORM US THAT CHECK-OUT WAS AT 11AM - SEVEN MINUTES AFTER 11AM !!!!!!! Like W.T.F ?!? To say we were less than impressed doesn't sum it up !!!!!!!!! What happened to some customer flexibility ?!?! Unbelievable !!!!!!!

Like most people who write reports on here, I've been to numerous hotels around the world; Germany, Thailand, the USA, Vietnam, etc., that have greeted me in a superb fashion and most importantly, given me a FRIENDLY, WELCOMING & LIKE-I'M-FAMILY welcome when I first arrived.

Unfortunately, Hotel A La Grande Cloche was COMPLETELY void of this and utterely lacking in friendliness. It felt like I was just being "processed" - the same feeling you have when standing in line at passport control.

It's for this and the various reasons above, I'm marking this hotel a low score as I simply can't recommend it after the poor customer experience that I received.

Hotel A La Grande Cloche - If you wish to discuss the above or think I've in any way lied about my experience, feel free to contact me as this was witnessed by a third party!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple