“Great value and convenient location”

Hotel a la Grande Cloche
Ranked #75 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
“Great value and convenient location”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The hotel was a straight road down from the Manneken Pis statue and Grand-Place. I was only in Brussels for a night and the convenient location enabled me to walk to the main attractions without much hassle.

The room I got was a decent size with a spacious bathroom but the water pressure was alright though it can be better. The hotel is still using the traditional knob and key system and the keys are rather bulky so you'll have to leave them with the reception if you're going for a walk.

On a whole I was satisfied with my stay and I would recommend this hotel to anyone who's on a budget.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Anthony T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Desborough England
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Great location! We saw all the sites on foot. Although there is no bar at the hotel there are a couple opposite. Our room was very comfortable. It was a bit dated but clean and in good condition and the bathroom was nice; comfy bed too. English channels were available on the TV and there was a hairdryer.
For anyone who booked a room without private facilities, there were hairdriers on the landing and an ironing board. The staff spoke excellent English and were very pleasant.In all, the hotel was better than I expected for the price we paid. The lobby was welcoming, giving an immediate good impression. We will use this hotel again if we return to Brussels.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TruDesborough
Hamilton, New Jersey
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed in a double room for one night on our way from Paris to London. The location was great, two traffic lights away from Grand Palace. It,s a about one hundred yards from a metro station. If you don't have large bags, you can take the metro from the midi train station to the metro (Annessen), only two stops. Otherwise just get a cab for 7 to 10 euros. The hotel staff were very helpful, no problem with English. The room was 'huge' by European standard, as large as you'd get at a Comfort Inn or the like in US. Moreover, the price was great compared to Paris and London.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Saratoga, California
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I requested a small singles room and that's what I got. Very tiny room but since I was leaving Brussels soon I wanted to save some $$. Very good economical room if you do not have claustrophobic tendencies. It has shower/sink and toilet. Even with cable TV. Very clean. When I reserved the room via Booking.com it was very clearly stated the room is small and near elevator. Window is facing small alley and a bit noisy. But it wasn't a surprise to me.
The elevator noise did not bothered me at all. The breakfast is 8 euro per meal and I don't know it's worth the amount. But people are very friendly there.

The location is great since only two or so blocks from Mannekin Pis and Grand Place. Also one block from Anneessens Metro stop. Very convenient location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Good value hotel, reception staff were very good. On the morning we were due to leave for the early Eurostar, the young man on reception offered to open the breakfast room early for us.
With easy walk of the main areas of Brussels, local bars very near and about 20 minute walk to the Eurostar train station.
Room was small but clean and enough for us for the one night stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, USA
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Ok, this hotel is located a short walk from the main attractions, a ridiculous "national landmark" in Brussels. The hotel itself is a solid property, and comfortable. There was plenty of space in the rooms, which were well appointed for the class of hotel, and everything was clean. That was refreshing. The cleaning staff was very helpful, but the front desk was really, really outstanding. They were knowledgeable, spoke good english, and were very helpful. Free internet worked very well and we often sat in the comfortable lobby browsing the net and chatting away with the desk clerk and guests as they came and went. Nice for our family of six.

Room Tip: Take advantage of the free internet in the lobby.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BMacBaltimore_USA
West Virginia
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed for one night in mid-April. Having arrived on an overnight flight from the US I checked in at 11am. My room wasn’t ready but the friendly front desk clerk assured me he would request the room be cleaned and ready within the hour. After having lunch across the Place Rouppe I returned at noon and was able to get in the room for an afternoon nap. All of the front desk people I encountered were friendly and helpful. The man at the desk on check-out the next day seemed a little nervous and stressed but I had no issue with him.

The room itself was quite large and the bathroom was almost as big as the bedroom! The only negatives I found was quite a bit of hair in the shower/tub drain and the towels could certainly stand to be upgraded. The towels were very thin and rough. Even though I had two windows facing the street I don’t recall having any street noise problems.

The wifi in my room was very slow. I don’t know if it was because of my room location or if they need to boost the signal strength throughout the hotel.

The breakfast was quite nice…the usual European style continental breakfast with meats, cheese, breads, croissants, hard boiled eggs. It was nice that it was included in the room rate.

The location is good….10 minute walk from Grote Markt in one direction and 10 minute walk to Midi/Zuid train station as well. I walked from the Central station in about 15 minutes (mainly because the taxi driver said I should walk instead of taking me as a fare!).

Compared to other Brussels hotels I researched, the prices here at Grande Cloche were very affordable for such a good central location including breakfast. If you just need a one or two night stay, you can’t go wrong with making a reservation here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo