“Tasty Vietnamese in Brussels”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of La Pagode

La Pagode
Ranked #1,243 of 3,522 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Vietnamese, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Austin, Texas
“Tasty Vietnamese in Brussels”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

I have to preface my review by saying I do know the people who own La Pagode! However, I will say that because I do know them, I am more critical of the food here. I always ask myself: Would I take out of town friends here? My answer is yes and here's why.

I have friends that I took here years ago and every time I see them they still remember the dining experience we had here. The food was and is still really good. Also, I was in town for an event and the caterer was SOOOO AWFUL that people just didn't want to eat...so I called La Pagode and they catered for 21+ people and everyone ate everything and was very pleased..in fact, we ordered late night food from here and everyone ate everything before I was even done working!

There was a time last year (2013) when there was a transition of chefs in the kitchen because the original chef retired. There might have been a change of service or change in the way the food tasted just because everyone was adjusting to the change. There were new personnel that was hired and also fired, which made some inconsistencies. However, I think they've hit their stride again and I'm very pleased with the new chef's take on traditional family dishes. Like any restaurant there are certain dishes that are done better than others so I'll list which ones are my favorites:

Chao Tom -- shrimp wrapped and steamed in sugar cane.
SUON NGOT- spare ribs grilled with honey and lime
TOM NUONG XA- Shrimps grilled with fresh lemon grass,served with vermicelli
VIT XOAI- Duck with fresh mango

The food is pricey compared to what you get at neighboring Vietnamese restaurants..but all the food we order is done multiple times a week in small batches to ensure freshest and best quality.

Tip: there IS a patio outside that everyone should enjoy when it's not raining in Bruxelles! (that 1% haha).

• Visited August 2014

“Disappointment!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

I was tempted by the Michelin award (not a star!), so went there. I shouldn't have. The food is bad, not fresh, the service is really strange, bad actually, the atmosphere is unpleasent. On the top of it it's expensive!

Brussels, Belgium
“Very good Vienamese restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

The ULB university area of Ixelles has its fair share of Vietnamese restaurants but this one stands out from the lot.

The restaurant has a modern look and feel with a terrace for the 'summer'. Expect a friendly welcome and decent service to follow.

Last visit we had a soup and the mix starter which has five different things to nibble at.
I followed-up with duck and fresh mango, and my partner had scampi in a spicy sauce.

The cooking is good and the ingredients are fresh. I would recommend to anyone in the area looking for a decent mid priced Vietnamese restaurant.

Other:

* They also do Vietnamese hotpot for two people minimum.
* Parking will be a challenge, 25/94 trams are a better option.

• Visited April 2013
Brussels, Belgium
“Excellent vietnamese restaurant in the University district”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

We went to La Pagode d'or for a family dinner and I immediately felt this place deserves a review. Our food was both very tasty and abundant. I had Tom Chin as a starter, and loved the mélange of meat with coriander and shrimps, while the other diners had Nems which they described as "tasty". As a main course I took "Ga Cari", diced chicken with spicy vegetables and bamboo sprouts, and I loved it. Not too spicy, not doused with glutamate, it gave me the impression of a honest choice of ingredients probably prepared in a European way (not that spicy, for example), therefore easy to appreciate for our taste buds. Other guests went for lobster and shrimps.
We concluded our meal with a dessert - a coco milk ice cream - which proved to be a refreshing and fine-tasting choice.
This is not a cheap restaurant but it seems to be one of those places that aims at a perfect experience: a quiet place, shining and clean with white and pastel green colours.
I would recommend arriving at least a quarter of an hour earlier than your reservation because parking in that area can be an ordeal.

• Visited June 2013
Brussels, Belgium
“Great first impression, then a let down.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I am adding this comment to temper the enthusiasm of my first review. This is place is simply good, without all the exclamation marks. Decent but inconsistent.

• Visited March 2013