“Are standards slipping?”

Novotel Brussels City Centre
Ranked #31 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 2, 2012

As an Accor Loyalty Card holder and someone who has used this hotel a few times this year, I was disappointed when arriving after 20.00 to be told that my room was 'not ready'. I was given a complimentary drink in the bar whilst it was made ready. When I arrived in the room, however, it was clearly not the grade of room that I had booked. I went to reception to complain. They offered me a room in the Sofitel - a better quality hotel - but, I declined. It was getting late and the location of the hotel was important to me. After some discussion, I was offered a reduction on my bill, which I accepted. That was fine. So was the offer to move me to another hotel. What was not fine was the first response, which was to put me in a room which was not up to the standard of the one that I had booked and say nothing about it. Things like that damage guests' trust and confidence.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,923)

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed 2 nights there during a business trip. The hotel is very conveniently located in downtown Bruxelles close to the Grand Place (5 min walking), metro-station and the Saint Gery area with lot of restaurants/bars. The prices in Bruxelles are not cheap as I experienced in another downtown hotel. The hotel is modern (built in 1998) and the rooms are quite big, modern, and comfortable. I asked for a room on upper floors where you have a nice view on a quiet square and an old-tower of the former city wall that is almost attached to he hotel. You can also see the Atomium in the background (the other side of the hotel is a busy street). The breakfast is good, but may be not comparable to a 4-star hotel. The only downside is the reception that is under-staffed sometimes (I waited 10-15 min to check-in after busy day). Overall I would recommend this place for business or leisure.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Nice hotel within walking distance from Grand place, shopping centre, restaurants, the station and where the tour buses stop, which is the best thing about the hotel.
The room was clean and spacious as we also had a travel cot (which was provided by the hotel) and we didn't feel cramped. The shower was clean and again spacious and it had a separate toilet which was also clean.
Overall not bad for a short visit. The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant. They were willing to help with anything we needed or asked for. Thumbs up!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The beds and bedding at the Novotel Tour Noire were really comfortable and cosy so we had 2 fantastic nights' sleep. Breakfast cost 20 euros so we ate out locally where there were some excellent local bakeries. Pool was disappointing, looking as it did like a penguin enclosure. Not surprisingly it was never in in use - not even by penguins. We had room 504 which overlooked the cathedral - but no bells. The hotel was rather souless but very handy for the tourist spots and on the bus route to King Baudoin stadium in Heysel where we went to a rugby match.

Room Tip: Room 504 overlooks cathedral.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Location is fine...but this is a bit of a middle of the road business hotel and falls short on a few levels. The rooms are not great...a bit spartan..not so bad, as you would run screaming from the hotel, but just not what you expect for the price. I would consider this hotel as decidedly unmemorable...mediocre..not shocking but i have not desire to return. If other options exist examine them before chossing this Novotel.

1  Thank gringottsgoblin
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We has a nice stay at this Novotel in September and after getting off some very long flights from Australia the comfortable beds were very welcome! Room was a good size and what you'd expect from a Novotel, very clean and our included buffet breakfast was of good quality and variety. The free wifi was also very handy.

We didn't find the staff to be that friendly but that can be typical of these big hotels, and I would stay here again. Great location.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I'll be very short, I've stayed in this hotel few weeks ago. It is renovated, i hope whole hotel. I have received renovated room, brand new. It was really good stay in Brussels.Small thing I had a chance to use turkish bath and swimming pool in this hotel and that part is not renovated at all.I was sad to see cracked walls and old/very used swimming pool and turkish bath.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business