“Second time at Martin's Central Park”

Martin's Brussels EU
Ranked #30 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This was the second time I stayed at the Martin's Central Park in Brussels and like most of the hotels in Brussels (there are some exceptions) it is way overpriced for the service it offers. To start you pay a considerable amount of money for one night and you get a tiny room that looks like it was decorated last century (which you do no expect considering the deco at the entrance of the hotel). The room is comfortable, however is not a 4 star room. The breakfast is also a bit pricy and the variety is also very limited. Adding to that, in my last day at the hotel, I went down to have breakfast closer to the time it ends and there was almost no bread and most of the tables were dirty (I had to find one that was clean). Which is the type of things you do not expect to find in a 4 star hotel. Since I was in Brussels for business the reason for choosing this hotel was the fact it was very close to where I was having some meetings, however if your plan is sight seeing I would recommend staying a bit closer to the center of Brussels despite the fact that you have a Metro station just 5 minutes walking. Another plus is that the internet is free in the rooms.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank EUAS
Andy D, General Manager at Martin's Brussels EU, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear Eurico A,

Thank you for your comment.
You are right that we do have non refurbished rooms which propose a total different style from the Lobby but it's now less than a third of our rooms. 69 other rooms have been decorated in cosy & trendy colors and the Great rooms are proposing Art-Deco arabesques on wall.

About the buffet breakfast, you are right that the choice is not so extensive when you come later. Our sustainable politic is to propose a large assortment (about 5-6 differents pastries & 8-10 different types of breads) produced in Brussels or not far from Brussels and to avoid waste as maximum. We do baked some breads/pastries to complete the breakfast buffet at the end: in this case, we may not offer such a choice.

A member of the staff is always welcoming you at the entrance to propose you a cleaned table and to check your desire. If it was not the case, please let me know. Sometimes after a rush period, lots of table can be dirty: our first concern is to welcome our guests and check your request. Dirty tables are secundary if there are enough cleaned ones to welcome the last guests.

Do me two favors when coming in Brussels:
- do reserve your room directly with me
- leave me 10 minuts to discuss your point of view. It 's really important to me to share ideas & impressions about our hotel/hotel industry in Brussels/Belgium.

Looking forward to welcoming in Brussels,

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Stay here for 4 nigths without breakfast, Just only for sleep. The location of the hotel is amazing, very central and near the EU building. The restaurants nearby are not very good, have to walk a little bit to eat good food. the employees are very friendly and speak very good english. Reccomend.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Clean, located next to the European Commision, staff is friendly, prompt service, well equipped, clean amenities and overall a very pleasant and enjoyable stay. The price is normally a bit on the high side but our trip was payed for. Would definitely recommend and come back again.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank LukaJankovic
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We booked the superior room with a nice offer, and the experience has been quite good. The location is nice, but you need to walk around 25 mins to Grand Place. The staff people were very nice and helpful, and the jacuzzi bath is a great plus.
There are a few nice restaurants close, Metro stations are close too, so you can move to other parts of the city.
One of my biggest worries in any Hotel is the bed, in this occasion the bed was very comfortable and big.
The hotel have free wifi, but in our room (5th floor) it doesn't works correctly.

Room Tip: 5th floor room shave poor wifi quality
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ja_svq
Andy D, General Manager at Martin's Brussels EU, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear ja_svq, Hola ja_svq,

Many thanks for your comment. We are really happy that you enjoyed your stay in Brussels.
As Sevilla is a beautiful city, the comparison was quite hard for us :-)

We are not directly located in the center of Brussels but with the metro or with the Villo (bikes) you may reach the center in a few minutes.

Thanks to your remark over the wifi, we have detected that the WIFI antenna on the 5th floor did not work properly. The problem is now solved.

We hope to welcome you again in Brussels.
Do not miss the Christmas market (29/11/13-05/01/14): one of the biggest one in Europe. Reserve your room before the rush of October/November. You will get better rates !

Andy

Reviewed August 7, 2013

The room was quite small, comfy bed though! On the first evening the water was cold for showering. There was no tea or coffee facilities in the room. (There is a free coffee machine on another level but this is not mentioned to you). We arrived in late one evening after a distressing incidnet with a taxi driver, the man on reception asked if we wanted anything to drink, we asked for a cup of tea. Had to go to the kitchen with him to help make it but there was no hot water so was given a tea bag and a cup and had to use luke warm water from the bathroom sink in our room. When we checked out we had to pay 2 euro for each tea bag and poor service!!
There was no restaurant open for over a month except for breakfast. We were also unaware of this, had gone to get vietnamese take out from close by, returned and asked for some plates and cutlery but was told that there was no way to get any of this as the kitchen/restaurant is closed for a month. We stood there dumbfounded that a four star hotel could not get us what we needed. It took for a tour group leader who happened to be around and spoke French to ask him to look a little harder and get us some cutlery.
Wouldn't stay there again or recommended it to anyone else. Definitely not up to the standard of a four star hotel that they claim themselves to be.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Andy D, General Manager at Martin's Brussels EU, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Stace490,

First of all please accept our sincere apologies for the problems occured during your stay with us.
It's unacceptable and I will personnally follow the different points.
Trainings will be more intensive for the night people in order to give more service to our clients and to you.

Our restaurant is closed each summer for a month as our guests prefers to go out of the hotel to discover Brussels and Belgian specialities. Not pleasant at all to diner in a restaurant where you have 1 to 5 persons max.

Do send me an email if you come back in Belgium (through the main e-mail address): I really want to prove that the Martin's Central Park is a very good & affordable hotel.

Hoping to welcoming you in Brussels or in one of the 9 other Martin's Hotels in Belgium,

Best regards,

Reviewed August 5, 2013

When the European Commission is not in session the hotels in this Quarter give away special packages, so take advantage of this! This hotel is OK, no large rooms but comfortale beds, shower and that is about it. Walk over to the Shuman underground and in 5 minutes you are down town. In the area of the hotel there are a few nice pubs and restaurants but for the Brussels experience you need to go to the Grand Market area. Parking across the hotel is free in the weekend. Breakfast is OK, but very busy in the weekend we visited. Please check restaurant www sites before you visit any in this Quarter because many close when all the politicians are on holiday ( July / August).

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the back of the hotel as the front is facing the road. Not too noisy though..
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review Marcus_NL1234.

You are right that each year the quarter is very quiet from end of July till end of August.
Thus take benefit of it to get the best rates & packages.

During this period, Brussels organize lots of special events/activities like 'Bruxelles-les-bains' (beach atmosphere), concerts, music festivals, expositions, free opening the Royal Palace,....
Have a look on our website agenda.

The hotel welcomed this year some of the Tommorow land festival participants, one of the best festival of the world.

Marcus, we hope to welcome you soon in Brussels or in any other Martin's Hotels.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed at Martin's Central for five nights in last June and was really impressed with the room - big comfy bed, jacuzzi bath, bath salts, in-room coffee-making equipment, a filled mini-bar. I thought that was the standard room and was going to review it then, but am glad I waited! Today I checked in and was terribly disappointed to see my room: smaller bed, plain old bathroom, no even a cold water in the mini-bar, no way to make coffee or tea, and on top of that, I was told there is no room service for a month except for breakfast (didn't help me much as my flight came in late and I was famished). I asked the front desk why my room was so mediocre and was told that last time I had a free upgrade (not that they bothered to mention that to me last time). So instead of the 5-star review I gave last time, I rate Martin's Central Park average. And even a bit less as the front-desk people aren't particularly friendly or helpful. Feeling very disappointed.

Room Tip: Don't have high expectations. You'll have a decent stay but nothing special unless you get a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business