“Nice Hotel - Great Location”

Floris Arlequin Grand'Place
Ranked #91 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
liverpool, england
“Nice Hotel - Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed at the Hotel Arelequin in May 2012 and then again in July 2013 as part of our 25th anniversary trip.

As I am a wheelchair user our main thing was access and when we booked our first stay here, we had previously booked the Hilton, but had problems with room access and getting to/from lift etc, and so having looked at a few other hotels the Arlequin. I emailed the hotel and explained my needs, and the gave us a large room - number 008 - which although not adapted, had enough room for my chair to get in easily and for me to be pushed all over the room. There is a large bed, a large tv and a seating area too; Bathroom features a long deep bath and a central shower over the bath. The room also had basic bathroom amenities and also tea and coffee making facilities, but no milk. Room 008 is on the first floor and at the side in the corner, so the view is of the accommodation of the shop next door but who goes to Brussels to stay in your hotel looking at the view - especially in the hot weather that we encountered in July!

The air-conditioning worked a treat - it was nick named the fridge, which was just as well, because opening the window at night meant that you heard a lot of noise till very early hours, due to the vibrant district that the hotel is in.

The hotel offers a free breakfast, and the breakfast room - as has been said before - is on the top floor with a beautiful view, there is also a toilet on this floor. We never made it for breakfast either visit, on the first trip I had a chest infection and was off my food until later in the day when the meds kicked in, and on the second trip I couldnt be bothered struggling in the lift to get up and down to the top floor - which leads me to the lift - they do have 2 lifts, which is unusual in central brussels BUT they are tiny, and do not fit a standard wheelchair in complete. I had to take the footplates off, and try to push my legs as far back as possible whilst being pushed hard into the lift - I just fit exactly; hubby had to run up the stairs and race to get me out at the other end - thank goodness it was just one flight! But, as I say a lift is a rare thing especially if you dont want to pay extortionate prices for the privileged.

Only complaint is that on the day we were leaving I did want breakfast, but struggled getting a lift and it was getting close to end of service, so hubby let me in the room and ran up the stairs to get some breakfast to bring down for me - but the lady on duty was adamant that we could not bring anything down; hubby observed that the room was full anyway, and the one space there was I would not have been able to get to due to my chair and the other people eating breakfast blocking the route - at this point she relented and allowed his to only bring cereal and a croissant down for me not both of us. By the time he got back down, in the heat the milk was almost boiled, so were wasted anyway. We shared the croissant and wished we hadnt bothered, hubby was really upset by the lady and after not having bothered for breakfast before it spoiled our last day.

From the outside the hotel looks in a bit of an 'ify' area, with a cinema sharing its building an a swingers club next door but two, but once inside, it is very stylish and the staff are the hotels true asset. Very helpful and nothing is too much trouble - except for the lady on duty at breakfast!

On our first trip we arrived into Central station, which was a 5-10 minute walk (slightly downhill) to the hotel, easily negotiated with a case and pushing a wheelchair; our second trip we arrived into midi station, as we came via train from Amsterdam, so after checking for access on trains, trams etc., we took the underground tram to De Brouckere (as it has a disabled lift) but it was a nightmare. The trams were full to bursting, people pushing etc., the bit for wheelchair users was full so we had to stand/be parked by the doorway - and hubby got pinched in the back and side by an old lady! Then when we got off the tram, we were told the lift was broken so we needed to go 2 stops further and change track and come back 1 stop - we didnt, hubby asked a worker to carry my chair and he firemans lifted me up an escalator. Needless to say we didnt go that way when returning to the station - we got a taxi (cost 15e ) but because of the location of the hotel and the pedestrianised areas we had to walk (uphill, again pushing the wheelchair and 2 cases) to near the Novotel to get the taxi, not far to some maybe, but with the cobbles and uphill a bit of a struggle.

Brussels itself is quite a pretty place, and around the hotel is a vibrant restaurant area. Plenty of places to have a nice Belgian beer, and the main square is beautiful, but the cobbles could do with repairing/replacing in parts - it is very difficult to push, or be pushed, over.

So, would I visit the Arelequin again? If we were back in Brussels, yes - and should we be wanting breakfast I would ask when checking in for permission to take breakfast away - or else that they reserve a table that would be accessible for us. I would also try to get flights that arrive and leave in the evening so we could get to/from hotel when road is open to traffic.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank juejosh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Brussels
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

This hotel was very central, just off the Grand Place, walking distance from the Central Train Station. It was clean and the staff were very friendly and most helpful. Great value for money in a city.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

I stayed for a weekend with a couple of friends and had a lovely experience. The beds were comfortable and the bedding changed daily throughout our stay. The highlight was the included breakfast which was a room situated at the top floor of the building, where you can see the roof tops of the Grande Place. The breakfast was delicious and certainly set us up for the day.

Also there was a independent style cinema attached to the hotel which made it feel unique. Unfortunately for a short stay did not have time to visit. Plenty of bars and restaurants nearby.
Would highly recommend!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rebecca460
Middleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

The Floris Hotel Arlequin is a charming hotel located in central Brussels, just two short blocks from La Grande Place, a sten-minute walk from museums in the fine arts district, and a seven-minute walk from the central train station. Situated in a neighborhood of outdoor cafes, shops, and brasseries, the Arlequin has great ambience and everything travelers need in a hotel—air conditioning, elevators (not an insignificant amenity in cities where “walk-up” hotels are commonplace), and a sumptuous full breakfast with a breathtaking view of old Brussels.
We reserved a triple room and had asked for three twin beds, but instead were given a room that consisted of a single bed on the main floor and a queen-sized bed in the loft above it. The hotel responded to our concerns by giving us a second single room at no charge. Nice. Our third-floor rooms were very clean, a little spartan, but had 40-inch, flat-screen HD TVs, safes, hot pots for tea/coffee (which was supplied) large armoires with space to hang clothes and store luggage, desks and chairs, and free internet. The bathroom in one of the rooms had a deep bathtub with the shower curiously placed above the middle of the tub (be sure to close the shower curtain!).
The hotel shares space with an art cinema, which featured several films in French, Flemish, and English when we there. The hotel lobby is Euro chic with a small, classy bar, squishy chairs, and mirrored wall with glass shelves containing ceramics and books. But the best amenity is Mehdi, the unbelievably kind and cheerfully helpful hotel clerk who gave directions, recommended restaurants, and even helped carry the luggage of the elder who was traveling with us all the way to the train station. We actually had to argue with him to get him to accept a gratuity. The hotel was very reasonably priced for a triple room with a small city room tax upon leaving. Check out is 11am, but the hotel was nice enough to hold our bags for us at no charge while we explored the city until our late-afternoon train back to Amsterdam.
The downside of traveling to central Brussels is the narrowness of the streets, which taxis are unable or unwilling to navigate. This means that unless you find someone like Mehdi (who we think is one-of-a-kind), you are pretty much on your own from the train station to your hotel, so pack light! Brussels, like Amsterdam and other cities in the Lowland Countries, are walking cities. Elevators in most hotels, including the Floris Hotel Arlequin, are very small. The maximum-occupancy signs say four people, but comfortably hold only one or two with luggage. Cities like Brussels are cobble-stoned, which makes lugging baggage an aerobic exercise. If I had it to do over again, I would have traveled with a bag half as big and brought laundry soap to wash out clothing items as needed.
Although we intended to take a day trip to Brugges, on the advice of a local we headed to Ghent instead (less crowded with tourists he told us) to see a medieval city whose historic district is frozen in time. We were absolutely enchanted with the town. There’s an enormous eleventh-century castle in the middle of the city and most of the walkable center is filled with buildings more than a thousand years old. This was definitely the highlight of Belgium for me. We were fortunate to visit the city during the ten-day “Festival of Ghent” celebration in mid-July with free music, street performers, and cultural events. I heartily recommend the 50-minute canal tour, which costs about $8 and begins with a complimentary Belgian beer. Our jovial tour guide regaled us with stories, not only about the history of Ghent, but also offered observations about its contemporary challenges (modern apartment buildings—tear them down!). Most impressive was that he did this in four languages! Ghent is a 40-minute trip by inter-city rail from Brussels’ central station and costs about $20.
Language was not much of a barrier in Belgium. Although French predominated (wish I had paid more attention during my high school French classes) and Flemish was spoken in the areas we visited, nearly everyone seemed to speak German and pretty darn good English, although they’d modestly admit to speaking “only a little.” It was my first trip to Belgium, but I’ll be back to see Brugges, visit the Museum of Modern Art, which was closed when we were there, and drink more Belgian beer. I’d definitely book again at the Arlequin.

Room Tip: The loft rooms can get a little stuffy and although the AC works great, ask for a fan to blow cool a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Bs As
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Nice hotel, just 200mt from Grand Place. However you must get the hotel on foot because it is closed to vehicles. The hotel has a good wifi connection anywhere. Location is great because at night it is full of good restaurants and veey lively. Room hotel was big enough but a little bit old fashioned.

Room Tip: Do not choose any room at the front, it is really noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
London, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

I booked about 3-4 weeks before through LastMinute.com paying 57.67 pounds for B&B for one person. A good price for such a central hotel. However, when I arrived at the hotel (about midnight) I was told my room wasn't available and I would be relocated to a choice of two other 'Floris' sister hotels. The guy was relatively apologetic and paid for the taxi for me to the other hotel (which was near Avenue Louise), as well as offering me a free drink. He told me the room I had been allocated had broken air conditioning. What more can one say!?

Room Tip: Suggest you check in as early as you can so they actually have a room for you. Ahem.
Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank ReviewingHero

Travelers are raving about these Brussels hotels

Westbury, Wiltshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Whilst by no means the most luxurious hotel, at €90 per night it was excellent value for money and I would stay there again. A little let down by a slow Reception and by the effectiveness of the room air-conditioning.

This hotel is conveniently situated in the centre of Brussels, close to the metro. From the outside it looks like a rather small from but has seven floors. Breakfast on the seventh floor offers an excellent view of the newly cleaned cathedral - the breakfast is a average continental one, but with self service hot drinks from a dispenser.

Reception was a somewhat slow, both during booking-in and checking -out but the staff were friendly and the reception area is large with plenty of seating. There is a small fitness suite.

My room on the 2nd floor was quite large, but it would have helped if the air conditioning had been turned on before we arrived, especially as it was the hottest day in the year to date! I had heard another guest demanding a change as his room was so hot and indeed in my room the air conditioning did not reduce the temperature to a reasonable level until late evening. The room has full length windows on most of the two exterior wall which abut to a flat roof onto which a door opens. Some who do not like the feeling of being overlooked might feel exposed, although full length net and a set of heavy full length curtains provide privacy. The full length windows magnified the effect of the sun and was probably a major cause of the air conditioning's difficulty in keeping the temperature down. However, the room was clean and tastefully decorated with a small TV which had a wide range of channels, including some which featured English language programmes. The double bed was large and comfortable with two fixed bedside tables. There is a desk with two chairs. There was a small wardrobe with some shelves. As is unfortunately common in Europe, no kettle, tea or coffee is provided nor a mini bar or safe. There were a reasonable number of electric points plus fast and free Wi-Fi. There was good over-bed lighting, but no ceiling other than in corridor area (off which the bathroom opened).

The bathroom was medium sized with a small but efficient shower and a good sized work top with a full width mirror and a hair dryer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room shaded from the sun in very hot weather.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business