Tripadvisor
Brussels
Post
Inbox
Search

“Cozy little restaurant in the heart of the Chatelain ”
Review of La Piola

La Piola
Ranked #1,179 of 4,542 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Family owned business with an open kitchen. Good wine, good pasta and good ambiance ... what else can you ask for !?

Date of visit: January 2020
Nelly G, Proprietario at La Piola, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thanks so much for your positive feedback. We are very pleased to know that food and service have met your expectations. We highly appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you again next time.

Write a reviewReviews (138)

Reviewed January 5, 2020

If you want to have a little get away without having to travel too far, I recommend that you try this restaurant! You won’t be disappointed.

You will be warmly welcome by the owner and the cook who is in the open kitchen.

Really good quality price restaurant, the flavors are there, A good wine menu is proposed.
Everything is fresh and if you have a doubt you can always see the chef in the kitchen ;-)

Nice to have such a real cosy Italian restaurant in Bruxelles where the price are not exaggerated.

Will definitely come back to try more dishes!

Date of visit: January 2020
Nelly G, Proprietario at La Piola, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2020

"We are happy that the dinner was to your liking,Karoliscious !
Thank you for choosing us and for sharing your experience.
We hope to see you again soon!"

Reviewed December 3, 2019

By way of background, this is my first review on Trip Advisor. I'm typically not the type of person to put pen to paper in this way, but after my last meal at La Piola I feel compelled to do so.

I'd previously tried this restaurant on two separate occasions. The first, was passable. The second, not good. Last Friday I decided to give it one final shot thinking that I must have been unlucky the last couple of times as the restaurant continues to attract customers.

Arrive and am pleasantly greeted by the waitress who suggests that we perch at the bar for a drink while we wait for the table to be cleared. Order a couple of beers. So far so good.

After a few minutes we are taken to our table where the waitress reads the "suggestions du jour". I go for the burrata with tomato to start (one of the suggestions), and the vongole as a main. My companion goes for the carbonara. Here is where things start to go wrong.

My starter of burrata arrives. It consists of a piece of burrata in a clay pot drenched in luke warm tomato sauce. The result is some kind of tepid cheesy bloody mary. Whilst not offensive in taste, it is hardly something you'd expect to see in any serious restaurant. Not sure what the "chef" way trying to achieve but it failed miserably.

On to the mains. My vongole arrives. It consists of a heap of fresh spaghetti encircled by 5 or 6 clams. Putting the use of fresh spaghetti in the vongole to one side, the dish is dry, flavorless, and uninspiring. Indeed, it is without a doubt the worst vongole I've ever had. It is remarkable how such a simple dish can be executed so poorly. The same goes for the carbonara - La Piola's version is a tepid, scrambled egg like soup with a few limp lardons (and not the guanciale they advertise on the menu). After eating about half of her dish, my companion commented that her stomach felt strange. This initial discomfort materialized in full blown food poisoning during the same night.

Bottom line is that this restaurant has a great location, nice service but absolutely terrible food. Whoever is in the kitchen simply cannot cook and is content in serving some of the most poorly executed Italian food that I have eaten. Add a little touch of food poisoning to that and you get the picture.

Three strikes and La Piola is definitely out.

Date of visit: November 2019

Thanks for taking the time for your feedback.
I am very sorry for your bad experience.
When the restaurant is full, some carelessness can happen and as she replied, she had to wait for a table to clear. We are certainly not proud of it and as you can see from the other reviews it is a rather unusual episode (intoxication). seen from a way of seeing how cooks work.
I hope he will want to come back to us so we can somehow make up for his disappointment.

Reviewed September 29, 2019

Ate dinner with friends here. Varied menu with delicious dishes. Good selection of wine. Good value. Lovely peaceful outdoor area to eat and drink outside in good weather.

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed August 30, 2019

I'm Italian and my gf is Israeli, Mediterranean both and very food lover both of us. She had pasta and I had rice instead. Food was really good and tasty. I've met the owners myself and they were really great, polite and kind with us. We shall come back ASAP for sure guys. Grazie Alfio!
Marcus&Amit