“Average plus hotel”

Scandic Hotel Grand Place
Ranked #122 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I just came back from a four night stay at this hotel and it was OK as an overall experience. Nothing major to complain about but nothing really to admire (except the perfect location). I will try to be as subjective as possible by listing the advantages and disadvantages:

Advantages
1 - Perfect location. Couldnt get any better. close to gare central, grand place, shops, restaurants, attractions etc. Even for the pick up and drop off for the daily tours, it is also convenient. You are in the center of everything. This super location makes u save time and money which is a great advantage while travelling.
2 - The staff are nice and helpful, easy check in, easy check out operation. Friendly staff at the restaurant too
3 - Free unlimited wifi all over the hotel
4 - Free and diverse breakfast
5 - Easy going attitude

Disadvantages:
1 - Small dated basic rooms. Needs some renovation to give a fresh look to the hotel
2 - No real lobby like you expect in every hotel. Just two couches or you can stay in what is really the seating area of the restaurant
3 - Bad accoustics between the adjacent rooms
4 - Strange smell in some areas in the hotel.
5 - No concierge to help you with the luggage, so you take them by yourself to the luggage room (in case you check out and you wish to leave them for a while). But that didnt really bother me. I see this as part of the easy going / self service / do it yourself policy. (Though it can be annoying for elderly people)
6 - I had a room facing the street, and it was noisy. But this is something they can do nothing about it, any building will have to have at least one street facade. You can hear the garbage truck in the morning, the train in the subway, and all sort of vehicular and pedestrian noise. But then again it didnt really bother me as i used to arrive late night after a long exhausting day that made me sleep no matter what. But for those who are seeking quietness, try to skip the street facing rooms.

So I think the equation in this hotel is as follows:
They give you perfect location + free wifi + free breakfast + reasonable price to make up for the average rooms. i have seen a better four stars in many european countries, at the end it all depends on what the person is after ! luxury of practicality?

Room Tip: rooms facing the street are noisy
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tarek G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,066)

Reviewed June 2, 2014

I and some friends have just spent two nights at this hotel. It is described as a four star but in our opinion it is no more than a three star. The location is fantastic in the centre of Brussels and a short walk from the Central Railway Station, The breakfast that is offered is very good but the standard of the rooms are poor as well as being small. I have worked in the travel industry for over forty years and travelled extensively staying in various grades of hotels and this has to be the worst advertised four star I have stayed in. Our room was described as superior and some friends had a standard room. The difference was that we had bathrobes, tea/coffee making facilites and a safe. In our room neither the fridge or the safe worked. When booking I also asked for a quiet room which at times can be difficult in a city centre but is sometimes possible but we were allocated a room on the main street which was busy. The standard room offered to friends was overlooking a courtyard which was quiet. None of us slept during our stay as the rooms were stuffy and the air conditioning noisy. I would not stay in this hotel again or recommend it to friends, colleagues or customers.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 28, 2014

If you want to stay at the city centre, enjoy Nordic minimalism and low profile service, this is your choice. Yes, the street is dim and the Central Station not as functioning and clean as at home but due to branding this feels like home. Touristic area for a busy first time visitor. Overpriced, yes. But you are in the middle of everything. Not in my top ten but might recommend as an easy choice.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times. Not because it is particularly pleasant, but because it is centrally located, reliable and reasonably affordable. The concept is designed for business travellers, who only need to spend limited time in the hotel. Most rooms are small and somewhat claustrophobic with very limited access to daylight. If you only need a bed and breakfast, it works just fine. But if you are looking for somewhere to spend a romantic holiday with your partner, go for somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Generally, the rooms are pretty small, and the bathrooms are not very nice in some cases.

I've stayed here a few times on business trips. The first time I was here, I realised that while the breakfast is tolerable, dinner is best found elsewhere. The food my colleague and I tried was most likely bought in it's finished form, and then microwaved for our pleasure.

While I've previously not had any trouble with the internet connection, this time I've experienced very slow connections consistently. I called reception to ask, and his first response was that "it should sort itself out in 15-20 minutes". When I challenged that saying I'd had the problem for 1½ hours, his response was "It is just like that in some room". So if you decide to stay here, remember to ask for rooms where the internet actually works, and find some nice restaurants in the area.

Room Tip: Good internet connection in 516 and 216, bad internet connection in 320.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 24, 2014

On an overnight layover in Brussels I decided to book a hotel and this is the one I found. The room was going to cost me 250 Euros but I was so tired I decided to take it. After booking it I made the trip to find it, which is not so easy in the crazy street layout of old town Brussels but I eventually made it and was quite happy when I arrived that I had booked such a beautiful, luxurious hotel. At least I think it was because I never got to stay in it. Upon my arrival for check in I was told there was no more room, despite the fact I had already booked it. The fellow at the desk did his best, I assume, but to no avail. Instead, they called me a taxi (and paid for it, nice of them) to a hotel much further away although at least still next to the rail line so I could get back to the airport the next day. The hotel they book me in was far inferior in a red light district and was quite dirty and run down. I paid in cash for my room there and spent my night. However, after I had arrived home and checked my billing I found that Grand Place had still taken my money from my booking that I didn't use. I had to battle with them to return the money as they insisted that I had stayed there and they had me on record as staying there! I had to get a receipt of payment and written confirmation from the hotel THEY SENT ME TO to prove all this and still had to write a letter of explanation. After half a dozen phone calls the situation eventually was cleared and I got my refund, A YEAR LATER! They weren't even apologetic about it. Apparently it was all my own fault. Not a place I will ever attempt to stay again.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank LuvTheTaste
Reviewed May 19, 2014

This is a Scandic hotel that is still left in the 80ies when it comes to decor and the overall impression is that it is dated. There was a smell in the bathroom and the beds where not very comfortable.

The positive is the location, close the the Railway Station and center of Brussels.
Breakfast was a positive surprise and that is included in the price as well as wifi. Also tried out the gym and that was cleaner and more modern than any other part of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple