“Perfection!”

Ranked #110 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Rescue,california
“Perfection!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a week during a recent trip to brussels to visit my aunt who now lives in a senior care home in the molenbeek area of brussels. The hotel was just a couple of beautiful blocks to a big metro stop which enabled me to get to and from the senior home. Wow! Where do I start? Everything was perfect! The staff, the amenities, the location,the breakfast buffet, the lounge, the room, all perfect. I will stay here again. Be sure to dine at the restaurant across the street called Arcadi and have the carrot and cumin tarte, yummy!

Room Tip: Room 520 was great.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
EvaDeWaele, Front Office Manager at Scandic Hotel Grand Place, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Juliana,

Thank you for this lovely review.
I am very happy you enjoyed your stay as much as you did.
And Arcadi is one of our favourites too!

We look forward to welcoming you back at Scandic Grand Place,

E-mail eva.dewaele@scandichotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Finnish first
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

very well situated
friendly and efficient staff
very clean and well appointed
wide choice for breakfast
good value for money
free internet
tiny windows, so dark rooms
'superior' room seemed a little small and ordinary - I was expecting something special
two single duvets on a doube bed!?
TV reception poor

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint George, Utah, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I was reasonably impressed with the Scandic during my first stay in Brussels. I was there on a 5 day sightseeing break and found that it was in an extremely good location. Very central and easy to find. My room was quite small but I was there by myself so I didn't need a lot of space anyway. In the center of a big city I would expect this as space can be limited.
The best part of my stay in the hotel had to be the sauna and gym. Although the gym is basic it had all I needed to get a decent workout. Running outside wasn't possible since it was winter and usually raining so the treadmill came in handy. I also LOVED the sauna. What a way to relax, warm up and detox. I used it every day and felt great every time.
The breakfast was decent, but being vegan limited my selection of foods and I did have to eat some things I normally wouldn't at home. This is of course not the hotels responsibility to cater to needs like that and they did a good job for those who eat a 'standard' diet.
My one complaint would be that my room was right next to a service elevator and it did wake me up at night a few times. I have a child and am used to being woken up, but I did want to get some decent sleep while on holiday! For the price I paid I figured I could put up with the elevator, but next time I would request I am not in a room next to any lifts, stairs, in the center where there is no light and noise, or with a window to the busy outside street. Overall, staying at the Scandic did enhance my stay in Brussels and I would stay again.

Room Tip: No lifts, not in the central atrium, not facing the outside street.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank April F
Helsinki
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

I visited this hotel in December 2012, and I must say I was quite disappointed.
The hotel is in a good location next to the city center and major attractions, and it has a nice restaurant. The service was good, printing at the lobby worked well, and I received good help from the staff e.g. when enquiring how to get to a specific location in Brussels. I have a dust allergy and for that reason it's very good that all the rooms have wooden floors.

However... when entering the room, I noted the bad quality of cleaning - the corners of the rooms were full of dust (I'm not even talking about what was behind the bed or the table...). The room was very small. The shower water run very slowly, I thought that maybe this was because they wanted to save water, but that would not fit with the leakage of a pipe in the shower. They advertised that they have soap bottles that give you an exact amount of soap and save the environment in this way. The soap bottle in the bathroom leaked some minutes after I had taken soap from it and left a pile of soap on the bathroom table - so much about the environment. There was a strange smell in the bathroom. Luckily it didn't come to the room. However, I had to use the fan in the room to be able to sleep there, the air was of bad quality.

The wi-fi was miserable - it sometimes worked in the room, if you sat and tried for half an hour, usually not. In the lobby, it worked better. The breakfast was not diverse (the selection of juices was poor, some of the cheeses were stuck together so it was impossible to take them, yoghurt selection was mediocre etc).

I would not recommend this hotel for those who appreciate environmental friendliness, cleanliness, good breakfast and working wi-fi.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Brussels hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Came to visit Brussels with my son during the week of Christmas and chose this hotel because of the location and the good air fare-hotel package we got. All in all excellent value and the location was indeed perfect for our needs as tourists. The daily wi-fi vouchers worked well. Breakfast served 7-11 am and had plenty of choices. Our room was to the street so we could hear some noise but not really enough for it to be a major problem. Short walk from the central train station. We arrived to the hotel before 10 am the first day and were able to check in immediately rather than having to wait until the afternoon. That was much appreciated! The room was perfectly adequate for us. Good housekeeping.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Taintta,

Wonderful to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
We always try to give people a room even if they arrive before the "official" check-in time.
One morning we've even been able to give a room to people checking in at 4.30 am instead of the regular 3 pm!

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Excellent value for money!

Stayed for the entire week (plus bit of the weekend due of trouble getting xmas season flights) and it turned out to be a great choice for staying.

Internet wifi works great, reliably and fast (normal 1.4Mbps; worst I got was 25% of that in peak usage around dinner time, but it only happened 1 day). You do need to get a new login token (per device) from the reception every day, but they just hand them over promptly when you pass by coming from the office.

Rooms and facilities are very good and comfortable. Nothing luxurious, but very welcoming.

Dinner at the restaurant was fairly good, with enough choices to pick from for a few nights, but if you're staying longer you'd do better going outside where there is plenty of choice, given it's central location in Brussels.

The 5min walk from the central train station makes it perfect for the business traveller flying in and quickly dropping the luggage before moving on to work (and also great when you have a very early flight to catch).

After jumping around other hotels in Brussels, this one will now become my regular place to stay for the series of regular weekly travels I make to Brussels. Definitely a place to return!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Hugo,

How lovely to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
Feel free to ask for more than one wi-fi code when you check-in - that way you avoid having to come by the desk daily.
We have also re-vamped our restaurant menu, so you'll find some new options upon your next stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back many more times whenever you stay in Brussels!

Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed for one night in December. Good value hotel near the heart of Brussels.

The rooms are built around a central atrium and have an internal window which rather than facing outside, faces inwards overlooking the lobby and restaurant/bar below. Even though we were on the 4th floor it was very noisy when trying to sleep at night as noise from the ground floor traveled and echoed upwards through the open-plan layout.

Better than average breakfast with some cooked food.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple