“What a lovely hotel. Highly recommend” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Chatelain Hotel

Le Chatelain Hotel
Ranked #68 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
UK
“What a lovely hotel. Highly recommend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. We booked using lastmintue.com secret hotel deal and did not know what to expect. We were very lucky and got the booking for a great price. We could not fault this hotel, it was absolutely lovely. The rooms were very clean and well presented. The staff were very helpful and attentive, especially the reception. The breakfast was very nice with plenty of choice and we were lucky they had a half price breakfast on the Sunday.
My only critique, and it is a minor one is I would challenge whether this is really a 5* hotel. Granted it is a very nice hotel but for a 5* you tend to expect bells and whistles and all the trimmings but this hotel was somewhat more understated.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear shop2wow,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your very kind and detailed comment about your stay in our hotel.

I am very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and specifically the cleanliness of your room, our very various and complete breakfast as well as the proficiency of our staff.

Be sure that our first preoccupation is to satisfy our guests so we will continue on this way and do our best in order for our guests to feel good in our hotel.

I really hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in the hotel Le Châtelain during your next stay in Brussels.

Victor Camhis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

WIth any hotel, the first 5 Minutes, and the last 5 minutes are the most important for a guest, as this is what remains the strongest for them.

Upon arrival the receptionist was occupied with a guest, but gave us guest recognition and attention, but giving us eye contact, welcoming us and information that she will be at our service once she finishes with her current guest...........;;very impressive.....

All details were confirmed as per the reservation, rate, room ect. We were just not given a brief inventory: Where and when breakfast is served, and where the gym was.

The room (superior room) was as expected, very clean, furnature kept in good condition, all electrical outlets were functional.

Room service quality was very good, staff though a bit dull, and uniterested, no guest recognition not guests name used.

Breakfast Buffet was by far one of the best that I had seen, well done. Good selection and variety. Although a little more attention with the state of tupper ware, chipped plates, tea pots.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Tackos,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your very kind and detailed feedback about your stay at the hotel Le Châtelain.

I am very glad to read how you appreciated and enjoyed your stay in our hotel. We always do our best in order to satisfy our guests and I am happy to know that you liked the cleanliness of your room as well as the good condition of your room, the quality of our room service, the high selection of our breakfast buffet and also the professionalism of all the staff.

We really hope to have the pleasure and the luck to welcome you again at the hotel Le Châtelain for your next stay in Brussels.

Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

I booked a hotel room at the Châtelain for one night, at the time I arrived at the reception I have been welcomed by a guy who was far from being friendly, colder than an iceberg! Not the kind of attitude you expect from a FIVE star hotel.. It was almost a big deal to go through the check-in process as I have been asked my Visa card to be checked again and again ( copy not sufficient??). Then I have been asked to pay the reservation amount + an extra money of 50 € insurance. By reading another review, I noticed they charged the person 100 € extra - which suggests the hotel doesnt have any clear rules of what or how much to charge?

The room was just Okay for a 5 star hotel, the thing that really bothers me was the fire alarm lights, fixed just in the middle of the bedroom's roof.. how can you possibly have a propoer sleep with having this shiny light every 2 seconds?

At the check out same thing: I ask for the bill and I discover we have been charged for 2 breakfast instead of 1. The respceptionnist didn't seem to believe me and called the waiter who wasn't sure about himself, just standing there and looking at us... At the end they have cancelled the extra charge but looking back at the whole thing makes want to never come back to that hotel again.. Unless they change the whole staff or teach them how to smile to clients and say "good morning sir"....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Bluemarley7
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Ydel0rme,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking time to share your stay with us on TripAdvisor.

We are very sorry to learn that you were disappointed by your stay and we sincerely regret that the delivered service didn’t meet your expectations. We have taken carefully note of your comments concerning this and be reassure that we will take the necessary actions in order to improve the satisfaction of our guests.

Despite your disappointment, we hope that you will give us the chance, during a next stay at the hotel Le Châtelain, to prove you that we can deliver a much better service quality as the one you unfortunately received.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I really loved my room in this hotel. It had absolutely everything I wanted. It was typically Brussels not trendy but really comfortable. My only complaint is the staff that were on duty did not seem to know the area at all. I was trying to get to a street which was about four blocks away but the guy on reception had no idea where it was

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear redredrose66,

We would like to thank you for your kind feedback about your stay at the hotel Le Châtelain.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed our hotel and particularly the comfortable room we gave you for your stay.

Concerning our receptionist, it might be a misunderstanding between you because our staff knows the city of Brussels and more again the area where our hotel is. For the next time do not hesitate to check on our website where you will find a link to Google Maps which could also help you to find a place near the hotel.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you at the hotel Le Châtelain for your next stay in Brussels.

Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

this vaction was one of our best that we have ever had!
starting with a warm welcome of the hotel crew
state of the art service
the breakfest includes a large selction of local treats
the mobility is fantastic there is a tram a minute walk from the hotel that gets you everywere
the hotel is located within 15 minutes walking distance from most of the major sites
definitely coming back!

Room Tip: all of the rooms are top class, clean and comfortable
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Liora D,

We would like to thank you for giving us a very nice feedback about your stay at the hotel “Le Châtelain”. It is a real pleasure for us to read that you did appreciate your stay in Brussels.

We are very happy that you enjoyed the warm welcome of our staff, the breakfast we offered you as well as the ideal location of the hotel.

Be sure that your kind feedback has been forwarded to all our dedicated staff, which daily try to make your stay the best you could have.

We are happy to know that you would like to come back at the hotel Le Chatelain and so we are looking forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Welwyn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

This relaxed hotel has pleasant rooms and we found the staff very helpful in every way. Its a long way from a metro station but has good trams including one to the Midi station (81). Also the hopon/hop off tourist bus stops nearby. Breakfast is far too expensive though and the cafe on the Avenue Louise does fine. A pelasant neighbourhood on both sides of Av Louise, with good choice of bars and good value places to eat. We were very happy with our stay

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Hedgehog44,

First of all, we would like to thank you for giving us your feedback about your stay at Le Châtelain Boutique Hotel.

We are glad to hear that you particularly enjoyed the comfort of our rooms as well as the friendliness and helpfulness of our employees.

We are very pleased to know that you were happy and satisfied with your stay. I can assure you that we will continue our efforts and improvements in order to always increase our guests’ satisfaction.

We really hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at Le Châtelain Boutique Hotel.

Directeur Général
Lenzerheide, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

I arrived late evening, brought to the hotel by my daughter (who was accompanied by our dog) and said (in French) a friendly good evening, and that I had a reservation. The receptionist did not say good evening, but harshly almost threw me out of the hotel (as if I was a begger) saying "Dogs are not allowed here!!! Please go outside!!" My daughter immediately replied, but the dog will not stay, it's only my father that wants to check in! However, the receptionist continued to almost yell at us that we should get out of there right away (my daughter took the dog right away and left the hall). This made me make a remark whether the receptionist now would make my check-in or not. Obviously, although I had given my name, the receptionist had ignored what I had said. So we started all over again. I showed my passport and my credit card. He left, came back with a charge slip of the credit card that stated that the costs of the two nights had been taken as a security, plus € 100 (he did not explain why that mark-up was made). So I took the credit card, put it back into my wallet, and expected the key to be handed out. The receptionist then said, I need to see your credit card. I said that I had just given it to him, that they made a security charge, and what he would need the card for again? He said he needed to check whether the number was the same (well, the full number was not even visible on the security receipt...). No explanation was given as to where to find my room, where breakfast would be served, or what other service the hotel might offer...well, I'm a grown-up traveller and will find the room, but this behavior really made me want to leave the hotel right away and take something else...

The room (allegedly an upgrade from "superior" to "executive" was a normal room. No WiFi in the room, you have to go to some of the common areas.

Breakfast is normal, nothing special but not bad. Juices are not fresh, but ordinary Minute Maid style juices.

I did not try the restaurant (though I had eaten there during conferences previously), so I cannot comment.

Overall, this hotel fell to the bottom of my list of hotels in Brussels due to this unacceptable and utmost unfriendly behavior of the receptionist. Had he said, "Good evening and welcome to the Le Chatelain! Sir, may I say that we do not appreciate dogs in our reception hall?", that would have been professional. But that is not what this hotel aims to be.

Room Tip: Take a room to the rear of the hotel - avoid a room facing the street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear mschuette4,

We really would like to thank you for giving us a very detailed and precise feedback about your stay at Le Châtelain Boutique Hotel.

We are sorry to hear that you received such a cold greeting and therefore didn’t felt welcome at all. Generally, our hotel is rather known for its warm welcome as well as for the courtesy and politeness of our receptionists. We wish you could have received this level of service as well.

We also regret that you were not convinced by the size of the room, which is frequently considered as very large and satisfying by our customers. Moreover, as you mentioned you had in fact an upgrade from a 22 square meters Superior room to a 32 square meters Executive room, logically supposed to be much bigger.

We sincerely regret that you were so disappointed by your stay and that we were not able to deliver a service quality meeting your expectations.

Be sure that all your useful comments will be taken into account so that further actions can be undertaken. I can assure you that we will do all the necessary to improve the satisfaction of our guests.

Regarding the Reception issue, I will personally take care of this and inform all the concerned employees and measures will be set so that such situation never happen again.

Despite you disappointment, we hope that, during a next stay at Le Châtelain Boutique Hotel, you will give us a chance to prove you that we are able to deliver a much better service than the one you unfortunately received. .