“Lovely decor but the rest oh dear”
Review of Le Chatelain Hotel

Le Chatelain Hotel
Ranked #64 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We booked an excecutive room and oh dear very small, so had an upgrade to a junior suite.
So set our things down and thought we would book a meal in the lovely restaurant only to be told sorry the restaurant is closed on fridays and saturdays what the hell is this, this is meant to be a 5* hotel not good.
On the saturday went out for the day only to come back at 17.45 to find the room had not been serviced, went to reception to complain and to be honest it seemed to be accepted as the norm.
The room supplys are terrible too no milk for the tea or which there was only 2 tea bags and only 2 coffee pods for the coffee machine.
Only one bath robe and bath towel what are you meant to do share ?.
This hotel has a hell of a lot of learning to do and this is based on staying in other 5* hotels and im affraid Le chatlain does not even come close.
Apart from the decor this hotel is a 3* and no more.

Room Tip: Do not go to this hotel they simply do not care about the customer
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Goldilocks38
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2012

Dear Customer,

First of all, we would like to thank you for giving us your feedback on TripAdvisor, as it is very important for us.

We are very sorry to learn that the service we delivered did not meet your expectations and we would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Regarding the restaurant, some actions are about to be taken and you can be sure that it will change.

Despite your disappointment we hope that you will give us a chance to improve. We hope to welcome you again at Le Chatelain Boutique Hotel in order to prove you that we really take into consideration comments like yours.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

We had amazing rates booked on the internet (e.g., about 120 euros/night for the weekend). The room was spacious, but it was a struggle to get towels - when my husband and i arrived, there was 1 bath towel and 2 hand towels. The next day, there were 2 bath towels and no hand towel. I had to beg the housekeeping staff for another towel. the following day, we had no washcloths. The desk staff were less than helpful - i asked them to mail some postcards for me to the US - on first request, the answer was that because of a service charge, it would cost 4 euros per card! (normal postage is 1.29 euros). that's about $6.00 to mail a postcard - seriously??? the next ay i asked again, and was told it was 'only' 2 euros - still a hefty charge. i finally found a post office at the train station. Also, when we asked for a restaurant recommendation in the area, the desk vaguely gestured in the direction away from the main street and said we'd find lots of restaurants there. The rooms were quiet, though, and there's a Pain Quotidian within walking distance for an affordable breakfast.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the back. the hotel is locked down tight at night, and there must be a reason...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maggieneedlefish
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Dear Customer,

First, we would like to thank you for your details and honest review. We regret that the service we delivered to you didn’t meet your expectation. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Regarding the towels, be sure that I have informed the housekeeping to deal with this issue as soon as possible.

Finally, we are improving our restaurant and food offer in every selling point to propose fine lunch and delicate dinner. This way we hope that the guests won need to look for an external restaurant anymore.

Despite your disappointment, we hope that you will give us the chance to prove you that comments like yours are seriously taken in consideration in order to always improve our customer’s satisfaction.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Normally I would probably go for Four Points by Sheraton, but a partner company booked rooms in Le Chatelain - so I was able to discover another nice hotel in Brussels. The location was perfect for my trip with meetings taking place in Ixelles, as I wasn't spending too much time in Schuman - God knows how long one needs to wait for a taxi in Brussels, particularly when raining (therefore approximately half of the time).

Le Chatelein is a very cosy hotel. Despite 5-star rating, rooms are rather on the small side - but clean and very comfortable. Felt almost like home: a kettle, espresso machine, bathtub, big comfy bed, an old style desk, bath robe... Wired internet worked well, it was fast - haven't use WiFi. Fantastic garden tarrace - I really liked it - and excellent sleep quality, I slept like a baby. On the other side, restaurant is not exceptional, and the breakfast was definitely below 5-star standard for a five star price of 25 Euros.

I can see the hotel as perfect for couples, particularly if you can get the price below 150 Euros.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
LeChatelainH, General Manager at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Dear Customer,

Fist of all, we really would like to thank for having taken the time to give us your feedback about your stay at Le Châtelain Boutique Hotel.
I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your experience in our hotel and I share all your positive comments with all the staff.

We have taken carefully note of your comments concerning your disappointment about your experience in our restaurant.

Regarding the breakfast, we are very sorry about your disappointment. We are currently doing efforts to improve the quality of our breakfast and further actions are going to be taken. So we hope that it will be better if we have the pleasure to welcome you again at Le Chatelain Boutique Hotel.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

If you do not want to stay in noicy and rather expensive hotels of the "Euro-blocks", I'd recommend you to check this hotel, which is located in the Avenue Louisa area. It takes about 20-25minutes to walk to Schumann area from here.
For less than 200€ you receive comfortable atmosphare, great service, fantastic buffet breakfast.
Nice restaurants in the neigbourhood (Place du Chatelain, Place Flagey).

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2012

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

I’ve read your remarks with great attention, and I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay in Hotel Le Châtelain.

Please be assured I’ve shared your kind comments with all the staff of the hotel, it’s very much appreciated.

Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at our hotel, I thank you again for your nice review.

Reviewed April 28, 2012

A most comfortable and unpretentious home away from home in a busy city. Wonderful garden terrace for a comfortable drink; compact but very functional rooms that are well appointed - I like the bath robes. A relaxing lounge with exceptional service and a very good selection of Scotch. A quiet, comfortable neighborhood but close to transport and the Management Center.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I’ve read your remarks with great attention, and I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.

Please be assured I’ve shared your kind comments with all the staff of the hotel.

Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at Hotel Le Châtelain, may I take this opportunity to thank you again for your nice comments.

General Manger

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Third time I stay in hotel.
I tried the restaurant this time and it was a very bad experience. Only one person present who acts as bar tender, waiter, maitre and on top of that does room service deliveries. Needless to say how that went.... A brochure in the room talks about the fantastic cuisine and Asian influences but the a la carte in the restaurant is very limited, steak or salmon. The quality is far from special and half of it was cold. Almost no guests in the restaurant. I can now understand why... The room service I have not tried yet but the offer is soooo limited that I would not know what to go for, irrespective of the cost....

Bottom line, I recommend this hotel if you can get a room for less than 150.00 eur obviously as long as you avoid breakfast AND dinner.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Globe_trot_traveler
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2012

Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor.

Please be assured I have forwarded the message to the F&B manager, so further actions can be taken.

Despite this inconvenience, we hope you will give us the chance to prove you that comments like yours are taken seriously and we’re looking forward to welcome you back at Hotel Le Châtelain.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

Stayed for 5 nights and enjoyed the hotel very much. Had many late mornings and kept the "Do not Disturb" sign most days and was not bothered at all. Then when we would get back in the evening, the room had been cleaned and we were very pleased with this. Was a good sized room and had a Nespresso machine with 2 free pods each day. It was quiet and we hardly heard any noise being that we also had our room situated at the end of the corridor.
The front office staff were pleasant and always available. Will definitely stay here again when in Brussels.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Dear Guest,

I'm very glad to hear you had a nice stay in Brussels and I'm very pleased to hear our hotel was at your convenience.

Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at Hotel Le Châtelain, may I take this opportunity to thank you again for your remarks.

Thank you for staying at Hotel Le Châtelain.