“Short break accommodation” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #50 of 200 Hotels in Brussels
Chester, United Kingdom
“Short break accommodation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

The hotel looks impressive when you first enter the lobby, and in truth it was very good value, but definitely not five star. Four-star would be fair. Lobby, corridors and lifts were impressive but the room was small and tired, badly in need of refurbishment. Generally very clean but the bespread looked grubby and mock velvet cushion covers were clearly dirty.
Breakfast was acceptable but the choices at the buffet were not five-star standard. Reception staff and concierge were slow to acknowledge our presence at the desk and seemed not to be terribly enthusiastic.
As I've said, I think we got good value, but not the superb deal I'd anticipated from looking at the website. A decent four-star experience.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Jacques V, Directeur général at Warwick Brussels, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Royal Windsor Hotel Grand Place and for your positive impression about our lobby. We are sorry if we did not fully meet your expectations regarding your accommodation and quality of breakfast.

Please rest assured that your comments were taken very seriously, and have already been forwarded to the head department concerned in order to avoid such situation in the future.

We hope to have the pleasure welcoming you back in Brussels soonest.

Best regards,

Regional General Manager - Brussels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Had just a brief stay here but glad we did. Had to contact the hotel on day of arrival with a potential problem(stuck in Paris in a snow storm) and received immediate response and assistance from the hotel manager. Ultimately, we did arrive and were received very nicely. The concierge on arrival was very helpful but must say next day not as so. The location is great the accommodation is not large but was very comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jacques V, Directeur général at Warwick Brussels, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Karen L,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your nice experience regarding your stay at the Royal Windsor Hotel Grand Place.

We were pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and particularly your very nice words about our services and ideal location.
Your positive comments have been shared amongst the hotel team including the Concierge desk.

We are looking forward welcoming you back soonest at the Royal Windsor Hotel Grand Place.

Sincerely Yours,

Regional General Manager – Brussels
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We have recently stayed there for long weekend break. My husband got a very good deal to stay at this hotel and we did have a very comfortable stay however I personally do not think it is a 5 star as it claims - quality of toiletries provided was very basic and there was no tea/coffee making facilities unless you either pay 8 Euro extra or stay in business class (?) rooms. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel, especially they are also charging 29 Euro for it. There is a nice place not far from the hotel where you can eat a croissant with fair trade coffee or freshly squeezed orange juice for breakfast for only 2 Euro.

I have given 4 out of 5 because of the excellent location. After all you are only in the room for sleeping anyway and room was clean and comfortable although it was a bit small. The location is excellent, easy to get to every direction, only a few minutes walk to Grand-Place, the main square or to the train station that takes you to/from airport. Brussels city centre is not that big and you can walk everywhere to get to most of places for visits and for food, and the location of the hotel makes it even better to explore the city day and night.

As other previous reviewers noted, room got really warm and sometimes we had to open the window. As it was only mid March and was rather chilly outside so there were not much people sitting outside of restaurants at night and we did not hear much noises coming from the street so we did not have any problem sleeping, however we imagine if this was summer it could get very noisy at night that may disturb one's sleep during the night.

Brussels is not a cheap place to eat and almost all restaurants serve mussels and fries, usually 21 - 25 Euro for big bowl of mussels with different sauces and fries, whilst starters are around 10 Euro. You can however find a nice restaurant on the main square serving lunch menu during the week for 18 Euro for 2 courses and a glass of wine. Obviously lots of chocolate boutiques such as Neuhaus, Godiva and Pierre Marcolini. We went to the coffee shop right next to the original Neuhaus and had a lovely 'Chocolate Treat menu' that was 10 Euro. This comes with a pot of lovely hot chocolate, Neuhaus patisserie and a praline. Also great for beer - I don't drink much beer but have tried a beer called Delirium which is very easy to drink but is 8% and is served in a special beer glass with pink elephants on it. I loved this glass so much I bought two from a beer shop in the centre to take home.

You can also easily walk to Upper City and visit Margritte Museum or even follow the Comic Strip Trail of mural of Belgian cartoon characters painted on building walls in/around the city centre. Ask for a city map at a hotel concierge and they should give you a map which shows the mural trails on it.

Dear Eimatretep,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Royal Windsor Hotel Grand Place.

We are pleased you enjoyed your time with us and are sorry if we have not fully met your expectations. Let me recommend you for your next booking our Business rooms offering tea and coffee facilities, more space in the room and one free movie on our new entertainment TV system.

We are glad to read you enjoyed having a relaxing stay in our Beautiful Brussels and we thank you for having share your experience with us.

Looking forward welcoming you back soonest

Best regards,

Regional General Manager – Brussels
new york, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

This hotel was nice, but definitely not 5-star quality. We are not snobby people, nor did we have too high expectations, just hoped to have a 5 star experience at Royal Windsor, but simply didn't.
After researching a ton of places in Brussels, we found this hotel and were sold on the reviews from other guests. However, to our dismay, the hotel was anything but 5 star. All around nice, but average and kind of lacking. One would think if multiple pictures shows in-room coffee sets and beautiful decor that we would have that same amenity? Nope. No coffee machine in the room, bland decor, super small space, but at least the beds were comfortable. A 5 star hotel, at least for me, is more than just a comfy bed. For the price we paid, we would have liked to have had at least a coffee machine in the room for the morning (especially with a long day ahead, coffee would have been nice).

Again, nice hotel, but clearly not 5 star status. Next time we travel to Brussels we will probably stay somewhere else simply because it was an average, but expensive, hotel.

Dear sonnybella,

Thank you very much for having chosen to stay with us.
We are sorry to learn we did not fully met your expectations. Let me recommend you in the future to discover our website providing more information on our facilities and especially the bedrooms as our business rooms are more spacious and provide free coffee and tea facilities.

We thank you again for staying with us and looking forward to seeing you again in Brussels.

Sincerely Yours,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic location for a weekend break, excellent facilities, very welcoming and clean. Rooms are spotless and well equipped, together with a well stocked mini bar, although very over priced ! A hospitality tray would be good. Restaurant facilities are very nice, though Buffet Breakfast at euros 30 per person is extremely steep. Very wide selection, though Service was slow on tea and coffee.

If your room is at the front of the hotel, it is very noisy, as there is a late night - very early morning Club opposite !!

Staff are very friendly and most helpful.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Shirley M,

We were very touched by your kind comments. We thank you for taking time to share your experience at the Royal Windsor Hotel Grand Place.
It is a pleasure to read your impressions regarding our property and its location. Your satisfaction regarding our staffs’ services is most important for us, and I will be happy to share your comments with all of them.

On the other hand, I am extremely concerned that your stay has been marred by the outside night life. For your next stay, may I kindly invite you to contact us directly in order to provide you a room at the back side.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future. Best regards,

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed at the Royal Windsor for 1 night in February. Hotel location is great very close to the shopping district and good restaurants. Very nice, pleasant and helpful staff. The lobby is nice. I checked in to a superior room which was very small and asked to be upgraded. The room I was given was elegant, spatious, comfortable but I found the decoration a bit passé. The room was too dark, even with All the lamps on, and had small windows. I liked the bathroom though, even though I prefer toilets in a separate room. The breakfast buffet downstairs was good.
If it had not been for their website which raised my expectations in terms of expected comfort and luxury, I would have had a better rating for this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Voyageur H
Dear Voyageur H,

Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at the Royal Windsor Hotel Grand’ Place - Brussels I am very happy to see your stay brought you entire satisfaction. I will be delighted to share your kind comments with my entire team.

We look very much forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future. Yours sincerely,

Amsterdam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

I was looking forward to the stay in hotel but my stay was ruined as 150 EUR and credit card was stolen from my wallet while me and my friend were in gym and sauna of the hotel.
When were checking in, I wanted to pay with cash I took in advance, but hotel staff suggested to pay after check out, just several hours later when we went out to try the gym and sauna of the hotel, I discovered that 100 EUR and credit card had disappeared from my wallet and friend lost 50 EUR, while some smaller banknotes and mobile phone was left untouched, hence thief hoped it would not be noticed.
We reported it to hotel staff and police. We find it completely inappropriate that there is no security within a 5 star hotel, that you have to use locker every time. During my stay in other hotels I never had any issues. Despite the fact that I lost money, hotel staff did not offer any apologies or compensation (like free one night stay), saying hotel manager would approach me soon. 3 weeks passed since then, but hotel management did not make a single attempt to contact me. Hotel staff said that as per their tracking system, only our keys opened the door, I doubt their statement as I see now on the web at least two other cases when theft took place within this hotel recently while guests left their room for the short time. There is a serious problem within the hotel with security and but management does not want to take any responsibility, does not want to offer any compensation and does not warn guest about possible threats. If you do not want to risk your belongings, stay away.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear igor31,

We are sorry you have faced such an issue during your stay with us in Brussels.

We have done our very best to immediately investigate the time you were with us and as a matter of fact, there was no intrusion in your room as confirmed by our Duty Manager.

We did actually write you back but very probably our response arrived when you were writing to us as there is a bit of delay due to the police investigation. Rest assured that we are sorry that the delay of our response has taken longer due to the investigation.

We are sorry again if we have spoiled your weekend and should you wish to come back to Brussels, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me personally.
jvitu@warwickhotels.com