“Nice and central”

Ranked #49 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Oslo, Norway
“Nice and central”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Nice and openminded hotel. Centrally located, but the rooms are a bit worn. Will be back in Brussels and Royale Windsor Hotel. Nice city, Nice people and wery organized. And of course the best party in Europe: La Demence!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Louis V, Directeur général at Warwick Brussels, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Norwegian38,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at the Royal Windsor Hotel Grand Place, Brussels.

Your kind comments humble us and we are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and especially its staff and location.

Thank you for staying with us, we look forward to seeing you again in beautiful Brussels.

Regional General Manager Brussels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

In two words: very disappointing. I'd rate this hotel at 3* but rate them down for pretenting to be a 5* hotel.

So what's good: location. A couple of streets from the Grand Place, it's right in the heart of things. However, there are plenty of other hotels within a few hundred feet so it's not unique. Breakfast was ok. hmm - I struggle after that.

What wasn't good:
The rooms on the 1-3rd floors are all pretty small. Mine looked out onto the back of the hotel, facing a wall. They're also tired. The bathroom was tiny with a bath that I wouldn't have been able to sit down in, had I desired (I didn't - it was yellow). The walls around the bath were mouldy. The water pressure was appaling - little more than a dribble and as soon as someone flushed their toilet, you got scalded.

Room service was shocking - I phoned for a coffee and had to call again 45 minutes later. The mini-bar was a complete rip-off E5.50 for a 200ml bottle of water. Also, I told them that the main lightbulb in my room had gone but after 2 days, it was still not fixed.

Check-in and check-out were poorly executed and with long queues. There was only one woman doing check-out until we insisted that she found someone else to help clear the queue of about 10 people. The conceirge was ineffectual when faced with lots of bags.

I was staying with work colleagues for our annual industry conference and one of my consultant friends (value add from PWC!) had warned them that they might want to consider keeping the bar open after midnight on Monday as they'd probably get a sizeable volume of custom. They agreed but didn't believe him on the numbers so there was one (hassled) barman trying to serve over 100 people. Eventually, they found someone to assist him but ran out of beer and white wine before we ran out of patience and went to the off-licence next door.

Generally, a shambolic effort. Don't stay here - it's overpriced and poorly run.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Stevo789
Dear Stevo789,

Thank you for sharing with the Tripadvisor travellers your opinion about our property.

Your evaluation of various services and facilities is very much appreciated. We sincerely apologize that your stay was spoiled by the quality of your room and that your overall experience at our property felt so disappointing.

Our valued guests' comments are crucial to us. We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you and make amends for the inconveniences you encountered.

General Area Manager
Peterborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Having read the Trip Advisor website I was concerned about the remarks about the noise in rooms from a disco across the street and specifically asked for a "quiet room" at check in. We were given room 119 directly above the main entrance. I have to say the room was very quiet from street noise. However when the deep throb and beat of disco music continues until around 0530 in the morning I can see why guests have cause for complaint. I slept generally well but I can quite see why guests would be upset. Remember I asked for a quiet room!!! The remaining two nights in 119 were not affected by any Disco beats but the noise of air conditioning or similar machinery in a room next to the room entrance with its constant beat/hum/throb and could be a distraction for some.
The disco noise is incompatible for a 5 star hotel and is clearly an issue for hotel management to resolve. I believe the disco is actually within the hotel as the lift makes reference to it on one of the basement floor stops. Clearly a major point not addressed yet given by the number of complaints I have read.
I just wonder If I was not on a special deal if I would have had a better room?.
On the morning of checkout (12.00 was stated as latest time to leave the room) I was excluded form my room at 10.00am. Having returned from buying some presents my room key was cancelled and I was shown complete indifference from the receptionist when I checked when the latest checkout time was supposed to be and requested my access key be re-activated. To feel like a privileged guest these things matter, particularly for a 5 star hotel. I have stayed in many hotels around the world and continue to do so for business and pleasure. Management have more than enough time to take note of my and other guests comments so I think action is now well overdue .. guests are difficult at times but the points above detract from a overall comfortable hotel and room. By the way the room service was excellent from a friendly cleaner who kept our room very nice and welcoming.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room and make sure you get it? The hotel is a straightforward 20 minute work from th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Louis V, Directeur général at Warwick Brussels, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear MrCliff,

We would like to thank you for having taken time to share your feedback with the Royal Windsor Hotel Grand Place – Brussels. Obviously, we do regret the inconveniences caused to you by the night life activities around the hotel, due to the Halloween parties, and which took place in the near avenues.

For your information, the Dukes is not a public club, but a private venue using for after works, which was not operated during your stay.

It goes without saying that I regret the inconvenience that the night activities has caused to you, and could not address your wish to have a room assign at the rearward of the hotel as we were fully booked.

We have taken good note, of the noise of the air-co which has since been attempted by the maintenance department. We have been equally sorry to read that your key didn’t’ give you access to your room, as a program.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at the Royal Windsor Hotel Grand’ Place, and we will be able to provide you with a room on the rearward of the hotel, a higher floor and with a view of the roof top of the Grand’ Place, which is exceptionally nice with the Christmas illuminations.

General Area Manager
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

This hotel is very strategic to the tourist areas and Grand Palace. Restaurants and souvenir shops are abound within 5-10 minute walk from the hotel. There is no shortage of things to do. The rooms are very well appointed, clean and spacious. The pillows are huge and the comfortable bed puts you to sleep in minutes. All the small things you need like kettle, safe, complete set of towels are available. The reception was very helpful and efficient as expected. Hotel is within walking distance of Centrale train station so its a convenient place to stay if you are travelling to other cities in Europe. The hotel is not cheap, but you always get what you pay for.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear RedwoodFarms,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback with us. We are very grateful for your time.
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us for the size of our room and its location in the heart of Brussels.

Thank you for staying with us, we look forward to seeing you again in our beautiful Brussels.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

In average, I travel two times a year in Brussels for business purposes and I had stayed in several hotels around Gare Centrale area. It was the third time that I stayed at Royal Windsor Hotel from Sep 8 to Sep 14, 2012. In my experience this hotel stands out from the others with regards to the service, cleanness, neatness, comfort, convenience and competitive price in this category. This is the kind of place I would like to be when I am away from my home.

Konstandin

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Dean R
Alexandria, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

This was the 3rd time in say 6 years I stayed at the Royal Windsor. The staff is extremely nice and helpful (especially good for Americans & Brits, since the latter own & run it). Unfortunately the rooms are getting tired. They're a bit too dark & are getting shabby. I've had rooms here with wonderful bathtubs, but this room had a shower that totally sprayed the bathroom door. This was obviously not a new problem because you could see where they'd painted over the part that water keeps damaging. The bed was very comfortable and linens high quality.

The rooms are slightly bigger than normal European standards, but do make sure you get a special price because it is expensive. . You can't beat the location - right by the central train station and a mere block up from the Grand Place. I will probably still return.

Room Tip: They have a few "designer rooms" or the such - avoid these as they can be crazy and uncomf...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear nkdp,

Thank you for your value guest comment as regular guest and your pleasant word for the hotel staff, which is always the most valuable encouragement.

For your information the Royal Windsor Hotel Grand’ Place is presently running a rolling over soft refurbishment program and I am sorry that on your last visit we did not have the opportunity to provide you with one of our redecorated room. Furthermore, within this program of refurbishment, some new technologies will be introduced in order to enhance the guest experience whilst staying at the Royal Windsor Hotel Grand’ Place.

As we have notice that you are coming to Brussels from to time to time, I look forward to meeting you when staying next at the Royal Windsor Hotel Grand’ Place, and may I invite you to your forthcoming visit to make your reservation on resa.royalwindsor@warwickhotels.com, so that we can recognise your loyalty as a regular guest.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Room and amenities were very nice, location was excellent, but for a 5 star hotel, the service was very poor. Housekeeping somehow managed to not clean the room at all, which is a rather basic mistake. I had been out of the room from 9am until midnight, and when I got back had to ring the front desk just to get towels, more coffee, etc. Then had to wait up 40 minutes until almost 1am when the towels were finally brought, and a bit longer until they brought some more coffee and tea for the morning. Ended up regretting that I even called at all.

Anyway. I think the poor service might have been a fluke, but I still wouldn't stay here again. For the money and the supposed 5 star rating, the service was stupidly bad. Go to the Le Meridien or one of the others right around the same area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ian K,

Further to your comments, we sincerely regret the short full of our housekeeping service whilst staying at the Royal Windsor Hotel Grand’ Place - Brussels, this incident is most unusual and does not reflect our usual standard of service.

We would very much like to recreate your faith into our service and therefore should you be a regular guest to Brussels, please do not hesitate to announce your forthcoming via resa.royalwindsor@warwickhotels.com so that I can oversee your stay personally.

With my repeated apologies for this unusual oversight.