“5 star hotel regarding price and 2 star hotel regarding service and kindness”
Review of Warwick Brussels

Warwick Brussels
Ranked #51 of 198 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We spend 3-4 months a year in 4 or 5 star hotels abroad but such things that happened today in Royal Winsdor Hotel have never happened before. We arrived today morning and have been staying in the hotel after checking-in at 2p.m. because the staff of the hotel made us so angry and disappointed that we have no wish for sightseeing and regret choosing this place to stay. We booked the hotel because it was written in booking.com that it was 5 star hotel but we couldn't see any stars out nor in the hotel. We arrived around 10 a.m. so it was clear to us we would not be able to check-in yet but anyhow I went to the reception to ask to keep our baggage. There were 3 people at the counter and some guests checking-out so I waited in a line. When there was my turn, I asked if we could check-in. The man, called Marc, rudely said: " Go there. Can't you see that this is not a reception?" He pointed to his badge proudly and asked me if I didn't know the work of concierge. I said that there is nothing written nor for a reception nor for a concierge and there was only one long counter. He said rudely that it was written before, but I said that it was not important for me what had been written long ago and that now there is nothing written. And even if it had been, he should be kind to any guests. When you enter the hotel you see a long counter in front of you and without doubting everybody goes direct there. The only sign there is "check-out". I think guests are better welcomed even in 2 star hotels. Anyhow we were shocked beeing treated like dogs. The man called Marc stood there pridely like beeing a king. When we wanted to turn on TV, we couldn't do it. Finally we discovered there were no batteries in the remote controller. I called the front desk to bring batteries but since after waiting for an hour in vain nobody brought them I went downstairs. The lady at the front desk said she just came and didn't know anything about the batteries. When I wanted to talk with the general manager, I had to wait there long time again. I had enough and returned into our room. Soon the man who even didn't introduce himself nor gave me his name card, came, apologized and asked what we wanted. I was really angry and said we want Marc come to apologize and nothing more. It seems they didn't like that. I insisted. Later another man came with a wagon full of sweets, wine and who knows what kind of staff saying the deputy manager sent us that but we refused telling him we didn't claim with a purpose to get anything. We paid for a 5 star hotel only wanted to be treated as the guests are in 5 star hotels. We are not beggers and we are not looking for mistakes! We came to enjoy here but we lost one important day and we have only two left here in Brussels. What is also very important is that we got very bad impression not only of Royal Windsor hotel but of the whole city. We will never come to Brussels again! We will never forget this day. Well, if you are ready to be treated like this you can come to stay here, but if you have the same opinion like me, it's better to choose the hotel where you will be treated like an important guest and not like a dog.

Room Tip: To choose a good room means "please choose another hotel".
5  Thank Marjana1952
There are newer reviews for Warwick Brussels

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I travel to Brussels frequently and recently stayed at the Royal Windsor for the first time. First, the location: It's great - two minutes from Brussels Central Station, three minutes from Grand Place, but still fairly quiet - at least on the nights I was there, despite the Scots contingent in Brussels for a match. First impressions are also pretty good. The lobby is elegant, staff are professional and pleasant. But although I had asked for a room away from the elevators, I was put right beside them - didn't complain because I was checking in late and wanted to go straight to bed, but the lack of attention to an advance request was a little irritating. The room was just a little tired. The TV remote rattled, the wardrobe doors needed to be closed carefully to ensure the internal light went off, the wood-floored corridor area coming into the room was badly pitted by stiletto heels, and the lighting was just a little low for anyone wanting to read, for work or leisure. One of the sockets didn't work. There were no tea or coffee making facilities. But the bed was comfortable and the bedclothes immaculate.

The bathroom, on the other hand, was pretty shabby - fairly clean but surfaces (including of sealed tiles) were worn, grouting was age-stained, and fittings, including taps and the over-bath shower head, are very old fashioned. Not in a good way. The shower has a small fixed head, and is a little tricky to set to the right temperature. Set the temperature *before* stepping into the bathtub!

The single worst aspect was the bathroom fan. It ran continuously and quite loudly.With a gap of about 2 cm under the bathroom door, this was clearly audible in the room, to the point of making sleep more difficult.

To me, this wasn't a 4 to 5 star hotel, but a decent enough 3 star in a really great location. I didn't take breakfast at €29, so can't comment. At the right price, this hotel can be a very good option - but don't pay four to five star prices for something which is definitely not at that level.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Louis V, Directeur général at Warwick Brussels, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear dreamerb,

Thank you for sharing with the Tripadvisor travellers your personal appreciation about our property whilst staying in Brussels.

We have taken good note of your overall appreciation of the room, and it is with regret that we could not assign you one of the redecorated rooms during your last stay.

As a practical detail should you wish to enjoy complimentary breakfast, tea and coffee making facilities in the room and a free viewing of the in-house movie, please take the advantages of booking our Business Premiere package, which will offer you to stay in our business premiere room with the additional advantage of much more comfortable atmosphere in bedding (high quality feature duvet, large pillow, etc.)

Looking forward to welcome you again.

General Area Manager

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I actually really liked this hotel, it was very clean and the room was an appropriate size for a solo traveler. The lobby looks like a 5 star hotel however I think the room looks more like a 4 star. The internet was not free if you didn't bring your laptop, therefore they charge 0.35/per minute to use the high speed internet in the business center. The service at the front desk was excellent and I loved the location, right behind la Grand Place. The bathroom was wonderful and I liked the shampoo and conditioner they offered. I did not take the breakfast because I thought it was too expensive (30 euros/per morning).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Dear Daniele B,

We thank you for your comments and I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the quality of the hospitality and your stay with us.

We are looking forward to welcome you again at the Royal Windsor Grand Place for your next stay in Brussels.

Regional General Manager

Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night while in brussels for the football! The hotel is nice and central. When we checked in we got upgraded to a business room. Room was lovely.
Didnt have breakfast here. Staff were nice and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2012
Louis V, Directeur général at Warwick Brussels, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear Steph0611,

We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay at Royal Windsor Grand’Place, its central location and the friendliness of our staff.

Your post is very motivating for them and we will be pleased to welcome you again in our hotel.

Sincerely Yours,

Reviewed October 17, 2012

My husband and i stayed here for 3 nights, the superior room was lovely but very small, we were with friends and our room had been refurbished. some have not. The hotel is well located just around the corner from the Grand Place and idealy situated for all the museums etc. Lovely base to explore Brussels.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room

Dear kmcconnell,

First of all I would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your feedback with tripadvisor travellers.

I’m pleased to hear that overall, you enjoyed your stay with us and mainly our central location and the service. The Royal Windsor Hotel Grand Place also provides you with larger room such as the Deluxe room or our Suites in a stylish décor and a cosy ambiance.

Area General Manager

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We arrived on a Friday for a long week-end stay and since my husband hadn't been in Brussels before, I chose a hotel close to the Grand Place. The superior room, 256, was quite comfortable and well appointed, although for a couple staying in a room, the provision of only one bathrobe was a little odd and had to be remedied. Also for our personal taste, while very comfortable in itself, the bed was too soft (we both have problems with our backs). We did love the extra-large pillows however.

We chose not to eat in the hotel - breakfast was not provided as part of the cost of the room, unlike most European hotels we stay in and we both felt that €30 for a breakfast, no matter how nice it might have been, was far too much and we ate out. There are so many places to choose from in the area. Also, I felt the mini-bar prices in the room were extremely high, even more so than many of the other 5-star places we have stayed.

All in all, however, it was a nice stay and we enjoyed the central location of the hotel. The shutters in the room by the way were incredibly good at blocking out the early morning light.

Dear IdahoSwede,

I would like to thank you for this comment about our hotel and I’m pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and mainly its central location.

Your evaluation of various services and facilities is very much appreciated.

Thank you for staying with us, we look forward to seeing you again in Brussels.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

The Royal Windsor is conveniently located right next to the central station and the Grand Place, a location to die for! Breakfast was fine, service excellent. The hotel restaurant is located in a small ally which is very picturesque ideally for having drinks and a lunch. We had a fashion room, which was nice, but the bathroom was clearly outdated. It was clean and tidy but old. Other rooms we'd seen are also not really of what you expect in a 5 star hotel which is second best of Brussels! The new suite at the top floor at the other hand is fantastic and above expectation! Seriously one of the nicest rooms i've ever seen. Another nice addition to the hotel is underground parkingarea. Would come back for sure

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear ChefkeKNL,

Further to your nice comment, we are pleased to read that you enjoyed not only our services but also our excellent breakfast.

We have taken good note with your remark with the bathroom. In continuation to the creation of the new top floors Suite, investments are made with the introduction of a rolling undergoing program of refurbishment in order to maintain the quality of level of our hotel.

Once again, many thanks for your kind word.