“Pleasently surprised”
Review of Hotel Metropole

Hotel Metropole
Ranked #76 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed January 2, 2009

I booked the Metropole with a Eurostar package for 3 nights at the end of December 2008 for myself and a girlfriend. I had read the reviews before going and was anxious about some of the negativity on this board. Being quite fussy myself and noise sensitive I was really hoping I wouldn't be given a shabby, noisy room as some have complained. When we arrived off the metro we were literally a few steps away from the hotel - a good start. When we walked upto and into the hotel we were excited how plush, clean and stunning the lobby is... Just like others had described it to be. Check in was easy and the gent was really polite and efficient. All the staff spoke native like English and were truly polite and efficient. When we got to our room, we were very happy. We had a big double room, king size bed and a bathroom with 2 wash basins and marble tiling on the walls and floor. The TV had cable so we could watch BBC1, Eurosports, CNN etc. The minibar was free and so soft drinks and beers were a nice welcome. The hotel is 5 minutes from the Grand Place by foot and only 3 or 4 stops from Midi station by metro. I recommend this hotel to anyone considering a few days in Brussels. The Metropole cafe is also stunning. It is a truly charming hotel.

Carlos Greenfield

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kakifry

Reviewed December 16, 2008

Are there two Hotel Metropole in Brussels? The one we stayed at for a small family celebration was excellent. The lobby, cafe and lounge are superb, from a bygone age. Just relax, have a drink and soak up the atmosphere. Two of our rooms were modern, well equipped and comfortable, the third was in the older part of the hotel, smaller but atmospheric with chandeliers etc. Service was exemplary and the pianist very accommodating. The television was old, but we didn't use it as we have our own lives to live out and about, or in the cafe or bar. We can watch television at home!
Outside the weather was freezing, but indoors the hotel was at a perfect temperature.

Word of advice, Brussels is very expensive, so be prepared, take plenty of money and enjoy yourselves.

We will definitely stay again at the Metropole.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank iisheppard
Reviewed December 14, 2008

I have stayed five times in this hotel this year, in addition to some other hotels in Brussels. Despite some shortcomings, it is my favourite hotel in Brussels.

The location is great, very close to the Opera House, short walk to Grand Place and the main shopping street and restaurants. There is a metro and tram station in front of the hotel. Direct line to the European area.

Access from airport by taxi costs over 40 euros. It is easily reached by public transportation for a few euros: train to Gare du Nord and then a tram to De Brouckere.

The building is a traditional art deco building. The lobby area is very attractive with a bar (live piano music on evenings). During any of my stays I didn't see any large groups or disturbances on the premises.

A good buffet breakfast is served in a beautiful space. There is also a cafe (both inside and a terrace).

The rooms differ in size. My photos are from the nicest room that I got this year. Some rooms are very recently refurbished (like the room in the photos), others may be a bit worn out. Thus, your experience will depend on what kind of room you get. The best room I got was a booking through Perfect Escapes website. The best value for weekend staysI have found at www.otel.com: ca 100 euros per night including a buffet breakfast is certainly a good value in this hotel.

All rooms that I have stayed have a small entrance space with a door to the room. Thus, two doors separating the room from the hallways reduce disturbances a great deal. But if you have a noisy neighbor, you will hear the noises. Also, walking in the room above may cause some sounds (I did not notice this in every room, but in two rooms I did).

Minibar is included in the room price, including still water and water with gas, Coke and beer (with 95 per cent accuracy).

Clean bathrooms. Bathrobe is only included in deluxe rooms which are larger, too.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed December 10, 2008

Great location-just opposite metro De Bruckere, near the Grand Place, just behind the street with the shops and opposite UGC cinema. Every evening there is piano music at the lobby. Very good breakfast. A very pleasant hotel to stay. i stayed 5-10 times during my visits to the Commission. it is adviced to get a room at the back of the hotel which is more quiet.ask for rennovated rooms.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2008

Stayed here for 5 days on a business trip. My only complaint is that I could not figure out how to use the lift/elevator. I kept thinking I was stuck, so a few mini-panic attacks...

I liked the location. A few blocks from the Grand Place and some nice places to eat. The breakfast buffet is very overpriced, although I was there when the euro was equivalent to 1.50 USD. So I would suggest the little place across the street that sells pre-packaged breakfast foods...much more economical.

The other thing I liked was that there was a shopping center near the hotel.

Nicely decorated rooms!!! Overall, I really liked staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 6, 2008

This historical hotel has probably a long tradition in Bruxelles, but it has nothing to offer to motivate the high price.
It's rated 5 stars, but the room interior is old and somewhat poor, the same interior you can expect in a 3 stars hotel.
Poor and old TV set, old min-bar, old power plugs, very regular beds. The bathroom was nice and renewed.
Breakfast was not included for 225eur / night!

The feeling in the hotel hall is like being in an ancient museum or late XIX century train station, not in a 5 star charming hotel in Brussel.
For that price you can choose something with less stars and history, but much more to offer...

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 19, 2008

I booked for one night, on the way to a conference. I used lastminute.com (£80 for a superior double) and specified on the booking form that I wanted a quiet, renovated room with a large bed (a la recherche of a good night's sleep and as some of the reviews had been a bit mixed)...When I got there, I was given a room with peeling wall paper, grey tatty carpet, the light fitting was coming out of the ceiling and the bathroom door locked like someone had been locked in the khazi and had decided to chew their way out...The aircon was noisy, they sent a mechanic to turn it off, then the room got hot and stuffy and I opened a window, and yes, you've guessed it, it was facing the main drag, so really noisy too. Asked for another room at the back of the hotel, this was quieter for a while, but quite small. Later that night it got quite noisy again, as it was above the kitchen and the soundproofing being non-existent, I was also able to listen to the Pay-TV next door without paying a penny!! Just as well they didn't get frisky...

NB: the toiletries are supplied by an Yves Dooms...there were several occasions when, in search of a quiet kip, I was feeling rather Dooms myself...

If you like to look at some really nice architecture and decoration, I would suggest to have a coffee in the Cafe Metropole, wander around the lobby, then head off to a proper hotel. That's really all that's nice about this place.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business