“Nice Older Hotel in Good Location”
Review of Hotel Metropole

Hotel Metropole
Ranked #71 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice Older Hotel in Good Location”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed one night recently in Brussels at the Metropole. It is a beautiful, older hotel but my room was large and very nice. It is within walking distance of the main square (6-10 minutes). I could have used a shower curtain, as the old sit down shower to avoid splashing can be awkward. The main lift is out of service so it was a long walk to my room and the bar was closed on the ground floor. I don't exactly know why but it may be undergoing renovations. The sidewalk in front of the hotel was also kind of dirty.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Canberra
Reviewed July 28, 2013

First impressions last a life-time.
And what an amazing one the Hotel Metropole gave off.

A stunning foyer and amazingly freindly and helpfull reception.
The whole place is somewhat like an old royal palace.
Enjoy the service, old style but comfortable rooms and buffet breakfast.

A stunning hotel with all that you could want, right on top of the De Broukere station and a short, pretty walk to Grand-Place puts this hotel in a prime location

La Rochelle, France
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I spent one night in a superior room, in this marvellous hotel. The style is "art nouveau" and we jump in the past as we enter in. The staff is very friendly, and my package was very interesting: all inclusive, minibar and breakfast. Only concern was about the lifts which failed all together, but there also the staff have been helpful. Excellent place to visit Bruxelles, near the Grand place .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Canada
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in July of 2013 and had a wonderful stay. My flight from Canada arrived in Brussels at 8:30am and by the time I arrived at the hotel around 10:00am I figured there was no way I was going to be able to check-in to my room but the room was ready and I checked in no problem. The hotel lobby was beautiful and really was a great site. Our room was on the second floor but waiting for the exceptionally slow elevator usually meant we would take the stairs (not a big deal though). The room itself was actually quite large along with the bathroom. It was also very clean and we had no issues at all. We had a room which faced into a not very great looking interior courtyard type area but really the view out to the street probably would not have been all that great either. There was not a whole bunch of English speaking channels to watch but you don't go to Europe to watch tv anyway so I wouldn't say that is really a problem either. Really the only issue we had was with the wireless internet. The wireless was free but only for 256K speed which was unrealiable at best. In order for faster speeds you had to pay extra. In today's climate free highspeed wireless is pretty much a no brainer in my opinion. It was a slight inconvenience but considering the fact that the hotel offered free wireless was one of the reasons we decided on this hotel instead of others was a bit of a let down. We never had breakfast (28euros for a full breakfast or 8euros for a smaller) at the hotel as there are countless small take-away places nearby for much cheaper.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I planned a weekend away in Brussels for my partner and most importantly, wanted the best hotel for the most reasonable price with the best location possible. The Metropole fitted the bill perfectly in all respects. It was my partner's birthday and I emailed the hotel directly beforehand asking for a room with a nice view. They responded immediately saying they had already upgraded us and would provide a small gift. We arrived in the beautiful lobby and the staff could not be more helpful. (In fact, the 12 staff we met during our stay without exception were extremely eager to please). Our room was at the front, a spacious, privileged room with a balcony, carefully decorated in keeping with the age of the hotel (upgraded from superior room). Then to my surprise a waiter knocked on the door with a bottle of wine on ice, rose and a card wishing us a lovely weekend and happy birthday to my partner. As some visitors have already mentioned, there were two bottles of beer, two bottles of water in the minibar, free of charge - something I have not experienced before. We had paid for the superb buffet breakfast in our room rate (which I would recommend) and this was served in the beautifully decorated Jardin D'Inde. All in all a delightful choice of accommodation in this art deco pearl of history, with an excellent location for metro, Grand Place, restaurants, museums and culture. The hotel made our weekend very special.

Room Tip: Definitely book with breakfast if you like a buffet and excellent choice of food in the morning, or...
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stayed five nights at the Metropole Hotel in July 2013 together with my husband. We usually don't choose five-star hotels, but we got a favourable price.

Our assessment of the hotel is mixed.

Positive aspects: A fantastic lobby, like a palace! A spacious room with a large balcony, A comfortable bed, a large bathtub, Perfect location

Negative aspects: parts of the hotel definately needs a refurbishment, the hotel staff could be a little bit more service-minded. The breakfast buffet was ridiculously high priced (and we didn't even consider eating there). In addition the first creature that we met when we entered the hotel was a mouse in the lobby.

1 Thank sraLars
Clemson, South Carolina
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Metropole during the summer off-season, and were able to get an incredibly luxurious room for a great price. We found a small problem with the first room assigned to us (a privilege king), and were accommodated by moving us to a junior suite. The staff was very attentive. Also, all of the drinks stocked in the minibar are complementary! One of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed July 2013