Hotel Metropole
$158
$132
NH Hotels
  • Restaurant
Ibis Brussels off Grand Place(Brussels)(Great Value!)
$109
$229
$170
Trip.com
  • Room Service
Adagio Brussels Grand Place(Brussels)(Great Value!)
$255
Cancelon
  • Fitness center
2,901 results
All reviewsprivilege roombelle epoquethe grand placebeautiful hotelart deco stylepublic areas aremini barclassic hotelmetro stationbit datedsuperior roomroom was largereception areacentral locationlocation is excellentbreakfast roomcroissants
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is NOT a five star hotel by any means. First, when we drove up to the hotel, no one greeted us to help with the luggages. I had to drag my bags all the way into the front desk before the bell hop helped. Second, when we walked by the staff, they ignored us (as opposed to smile and say hello like other five-star hotels). Third, the room decor and furniture were very out-dated and old. Fourth, there are bars on the small windows of the doors, which gives off a prison feel. The only reason I gave this hotel a rating of two is because the bartender in the lounge was very attentive and the location of the hotel is near some of the main attractions. To avoid disappointment, you should consider this hotel as a two or three star, not five-star.

Room Tip: Ask for the higher floors.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed there for 5 nights.
Location is great; just a 5 minute walk to the Grand Place and 2 mintues to Place St Gery (nice pubs, cafe, restaurants).
The building itself is stunning; very old, high ceilings, marble floors, great decor, old style lifts.
Our bedroom was very, very spacious and overlooking the main road.
Bathroom very large with his and her sinks, nice deep bath.

Negatives:
our shower was old, hard to get proper angle from it & narrow spray. It should be replaced.
The bedroom was very bare, the decor in it could be better.
I'd recommend a bedroom facing opposite side as there was some noise at night from police cars etc outside.
Breakfast was a buffet, which I didn't expect. Nice breads & fresh juice but the rest was alright only.
The cafe is closed until they pick new mgt company to run it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Let's start with the major positive: The Metropole has a certain antique grandeur to it due to the beautiful lobby, the photos of Belgian royalty, and the distinct rudeness of the cafe staff. In fact I would argue that the cafe is possibly the best part of the hotel as it serves a wonderful hot chocolate and is a lovely place for people watching, wandering Rue Neuve, or heading to the cinema across the street. The location is both a plus and a minus. The hotel is very centrally located but this particular part of Brussels is extremely scruffy and even seedy. The Bld Adolphe Marx -literally outside the front door - is littered with sordid sex shops and is an uncomfortable place late in the evening. The rooms are distinctly average and while you might initially feel a certain nostalgia when using the old style elevator it begins to grate after the first use when you realize how slow and unreliable it is. Personally I would recommend staying closer to Avenue Louise or in the Grand Sablon instead.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Just returned from a two night stay at the metropole . Hotel lobby is beautiful though after reading about room standards I was a bit anxious but I needn't have worried our twin room was beautiful large with a fab bathroom. 6 free drinks each and free wifi nothing to complain about there. We just loved Brussels plenty to do and see had a great time.just one thing though( as there always is) the cafe at the metropole which all the guide books tell you is a must see was closed for the whole time over Easter. No explanation was given .never mind perhaps next time.

Room Tip: Room 5021 very good nicely decorated and quiet
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This hotel is well-located in the city centre and it has a wonderful looking lobby area. Unfortunately these are the only positive things that I can say about it.

I stayed here for 4 nights on a business trip. I arrived at around 8pm on a Monday evening and upon check-in I was assigned to room 212. Before I went up to the room I asked the concierge if he could recommend a nice but casual restaurant somewhere nearby, which he did, and he offered to reserve me a table. Since the lift wasn’t working, I trundled my suitcase up 2 flights of stairs to my room (nobody offered to help me). Given the 5 star rating of the hotel my expectations were high but my room was very disappointing. The décor had probably been updated last in the 1980’s. Although a fairly good size, the fittings and fixtures were scratched and old. There were no hangers in the wardrobe (this is not an exaggeration, there was literally not even one). There was a free minibar, consisting of two bottles of water, two Cokes and two beers, however there was no bottle opener provided to open them with, just a chain above the minibar that possibly used to have a bottle opener attached to it. There was no coffee or tea in the room, which is even provided by the most basic hotels in any country. I decided to go out for dinner and double checked at the front desk that my dinner reservation had been made, which I was assured it had. When I arrived at the very busy restaurant, I gave my name but the maître de said he did not have a reservation for me. This is just one of many examples of where The Metropole falls short on its attention to detail and customer service. I got back to the hotel later that evening and slept fairly well (at least the [twin] beds were comfortable and it was fairly quiet). The next morning, I decided to get up early and use the hotel gym. There were no treadmills, as stated in the room information.

Throughout my stay at The Metropole, I was faced with other minor disappoints which collectively made my stay a very disappointing experience: I found the reception staff surly; on one day the room service coffee that I had ordered was left in my room for 2 days running; the only lift that went to my floor, although clearly a time-piece, did not function, the internet connection was terrible.

If this hotel had been rated with 3 stars I would probably have been satisfied, however 5 stars is not justified. I will never return here and would not recommend it to anyone who wanted a luxury break in Brussels.

Room Tip: Inspect the room before you hand over your credit card
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business