“Poor room, great hotel”
Review of Hotel Metropole

Hotel Metropole
Ranked #72 of 198 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed at the Metropole for a business event and will rate the hotel and cafe separately. This review concerns the hotel although when I would have rated the hotel and cafe together I would probably have given a lower score. Anyway, the hotel when you walk in is impressive. When arriving, I could make use of valet parking which worked perfectly. A couple of colleagues were fined by the police because they parked on the street waiting for valet parking but the hotel picked up these tickets so great service. Anyway, the room turned out to be poor (room number 6007). More colleagues had that opinion about their rooms. It turned out later on that I had also been given the wrong room as one of my colleagues had my name on her tv screen. When I look at the hotel's website and booking sites, they advertise very nice rooms at the same rate I think my company paid, however, not at all resembling the poor room I stayed in. The bathroom of the room was very out of date. Showering in the bathtub but with the bathtub being so narrow this was a very uncomfortable exercise. With hot and cold water being controlled seperately, it was virtually impossible to get the right temperature. The organised lunches were superb and the service was impeccable, apart from the cafe which I will review individually. All in all average. Based on the room experience, I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't accept room no. 6007!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Metropole

Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is an old hotel with a lot of history. The staff are competent and polite. I think they do a good buffet breakfast with a good choice of all the usual things! The hotel has large, comfortable, quiet rooms. Well placed for public transport and walking around the city. I stay here out of choice!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The hotel is situated in an excellent location with shops and restaurants nearby and a metro station right on the doorstep. It is also possible to walk to a lot of the main tourist sites and to the hop on hop off bus, which is about 20 mins away.

We didn't eat in the hotel as it was expensive, but there were a couple of nearby cafes for breakfast.

The hotel had a nice cafe bar and you could also sit in front of the hotel.

The room was large with attractive curtains and bedcovers and a comfortable bed. The bathroom was adequate but needed some refurbishment.

The foyer of the hotel was very attractive and the reception staff were helpful and informative.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights at Metropole hotel recently. Room nice but a lot of paint chipped from walls in bedroom. Great breakfast and nice food. I spent a lot of money and enjoyed time. My biggest issue is that I had a very early flight to catch morning of checkout. In my rush I left behind in wardrobe a good jacket and jumper. I phoned hotel on arrival back to Dublin. I was told by housekeeping no cloths items where found. I said there must be a mistake and they agreed to call me back. 24hrs later no call so when I phoned house keeping hung up on me twice and the 3rd time that I phoned they spoke to me and still no clothes found. Very disappointed, was willing to pay postage etc. but clothes taken. Won't be going back.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We booked this hotel because there was a special offer on and were not aware of how famous or how special it is. The décor is just amazing, the staff very polite and helpful and the rooms pleasant (even though we had what was probably quite an inferior room with views of a wall and no natural light) with many extra special touches. The café is also very pleasant, particularly the terrace, although the prices do reflect the standard of the venue. One small niggle, which I’m sure is common in these sort of hotels; we could have carried our luggage to our room by ourselves, and saved having to tip, but were given no choice! Location is amazingly central being easy walking distance from the Grande Place.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a hotel with real charm and a sense of history, located in the city centre and a short walk from La Grand-Place. We stayed on a room-only basis and felt it was very good value. It was a superior, which is the basic grade for this hotel but it certainly didn't feel like that as it was quite roomy with great wardrobe space and a very comfortable ensuite. The bed was very comfortable.

Drinks in the bar are expensive as you would expect in a European city centre but it is well worth visiting the piano bar where the entertainment was first class in our experience.

If visiting Brussels we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This old hotel is in great shape and has a wonderful staff. It was very comfortable, and the food was very good. But we were a little surprised by the price of the breakfast buffet -- 56 euros for 2 people! We had tried to find the price but didn't see one -- ate there because we had little time before leaving the city -- found out when checking out.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple