“Cosy & Tasty” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of A la Folie - CLOSED

A la Folie
Cuisines: French, European, Belgian, Mediterranean, Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Brussels, Belgium
“Cosy & Tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

Close to the "Grand Sablon" you'll find this quite small and intimate restaurant. We went here with our Groupon voucher - and didn't expect too much (because of the 29 Euros for 2 menus). But it turned out to be a really enjoyable epxerience! 3 different "tapas" (starter), then the "coucou de Malines" with a great parmesan sauce (main course) and a reasonable "tarte tatin" (dessert). All very tasty and nicely presented.
The service was friendly and efficient; the ambience really cosy, maybe a little bit kitschy - but still quite nice.
Only the choice of wine seemed to be a bit limited - just a handful of French, Portugese and Spanish reds. But: we came here for good food and not for overpriced wine. The ones they have here a ok - and really not expensive at all.
Conclusion: "A la Folie" is a nice little restaurant in the heart of Brussels with good and inexpensive food. Worth visiting when in Brussels. But: You should book your table in advance, as it's a really small place.

• Visited February 2014

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Simply the best we've tried in Brussels; excellent price, taste & service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

Excellent food, atmospheric and very homely setting, a true gem hidden away from the tourist traps. But the MOST IMPRESSIVE of all is their world-class SERVICE (literally) and friendly staff.

Let me share with you some of our experiences that will make us go back there again (and again).

1. My friend and I speak very little, let alone read, French. Upon noticing that we were Google-translating their menu, the staff offered (without us even asking) in a very friendly manner to translate the whole menu for us!! words by words, ingredients by ingredients, course by course. He really made us smile trying to describe venison in English, using Disney's "Bambi" as an example! What a lovely man.

2. After having decided on our menu, another staff dressed in white kitchen costume, most likely a chef, came out to take our menu (we were their last two customers of the day, so I guess the chef was quite free). We ordered the Lobster set menu and suckling pork set menu to share (without really making it clear which set menu belonging to who), when staff came back with cutlery, he knew exactly that my friend (instead of me) wanted the Lobster without even asking; he must have overheard us discussing the dish before ordering. This level of impeccable attention to details could only be delivered by someone who really cares about their customers.

3. We wanted to try some beer, my friend - feeling less brave that night - wanted to order the beer he used to have before; but I consulted the staff, who recommended, instead, "Hopus" which turned out to be the BEST beer I've ever tasted in a long long time - so special, unique, thick yet smooth, slightly bitter by soothing; I'm forever grateful for the recommendation!

4. With the stated price of the lobster menu, we didn't expect to get a whole, massive lobster on the dish, but so we did! My friend was so impressed by how fresh, juicy, sweet and well-seasoned the lobster was - served with tagliatelle mixed with lemon juice. Forgot to mention that he also enjoyed his 6-oyster starter! I also loved my starter (chef-secret choice of 3 small items (it was the first time I have ever tried scampi deep-fried with black tea! DELICIOUS!) & my main (the pork was simple, but nicely done with delicious sauce). The home-made ice-cream-like frozen, traditional pudding & the spectacular apple pie (spectacular because a fire was set to it on our table!) ended our meal perfectly.

5. When the bill came (we ordered 3 beers and two set menus), it was much lower than we expected. We have paid double for a lower quality food at one fancy restaurant at Grand Place - we're not going back there again, but we are sure to go back to A La Folie!

Thank you so much for giving us one of the best dining experiences we've had in Brussels!

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank crimsondip
Lund, Sweden
“Romantic and tasty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

I loved this restaurant's personal touch and the very warm and cosy atmosphere. The waiter was most friendly without being intrusive. Most importantly I truly enjoyed my meal, consisting of a three dishes menu. For that price (22 €) in Brussels I doubt you can find a better experience.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank piegonetta
Amersfoort, Netherlands
“A hit and miss affair”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Tempted by the reviews here on TA we went a little out of our way to get here. A la Folie is certainly a quaint and small eatery. We where welcomed by our host that evening. Busy it was not, around four or five tables (out of ten or eleven).
The food, well, a hit and miss affair. Our entrees where really nice. I had a trio of very tasty dishes, my wife a poached egg with shrimps. Both well above average.
The mains where less satisfying. My wife's duck with foie gras was nice, well cooked and tasty. Though the foie gras (small chunks of it) was in short supply.
My pork rib however was bordering on the horrible, with an overcondensed dark sauce that overpowered everything and had a nasty flavour. Burned? The pork was chewey and rather tasteless. My mother, and indeed I myself, can do better.
Both our dishes had identical garnish of small veggies, which shouldn't happen because both dishes differed so much. It's cutting corners in my book.
A la Folie has a rustic, traditional menu, but it should at least rise above what I can cook myself.
The desserts where both underwhelming. A chocolate fondant tart was just ok, but nothing special. My 'tarte tatin flambe' a real dissapointment. In my book, a tarte tatin is an upside down applepie with caramelised appleslices tightly packed. What was served that evening was a regular applepie with dryish apple, soggy bottom and a lot of Calvados poured over it. Mrs Tatin would sue A la Folie if she found out.
This combined with a very restless host (waiting to take our dishes when we where not finished) made up for an okay evening, but nothing to rave about. Certainly not warranting more than just two (and a half) dots.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank culturaDJ
London, United Kingdom
“Nothing special, Credit Card not working!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

My best friend and I visited this place two weeks ago and had rather high expectations. We were met at the door by the owner, a nice guy, who presented us with the menus and offered us a drink. At this stage, everything was fine. Then started a series of misses. We ordered the veal medallion with pasta and were served a veal chop (with the fat around the side and on the bone) with steamed vegetables. The wine we wanted was not available and finally the credit card was not working so I had to pay by cash, the few euros I had left.
I am tired of restauranteurs taking my cash and I often suspect the worst. Why is it that Credit Cards terminal are very often Out of Service?
Well, the owner was nice but his restaurant is nothing special to me, the food is nothing special and he should speak to his bank if he wants to fix this IT issue but maybe he doesn't.
Anyway, Mr Owner, please let your future clients know when they sit down if items are not available on your menu or if your terminal is not working. I am sure they will appreciate it.

• Visited September 2013