“Small menu done well, quick, lovely staff, professional”
Review of Dolce Amaro

Dolce Amaro
Ranked #25 of 3,837 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Date of visit: 25 May 2013,

I have just come back from this restaurant (half and hour ago actually!), what can I say?

My friend and I have FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY found a decent restaurant to eat at. We arrived there, was seated straight away. My coat was taken as was the drinks order.
The menu is very small as Italian restaurants go, but that doesn’t diminish the quality of the food available – it’s an obvious case of a little selection of items done well! The menu is split into four portions… 1)“Anti-pasti” 2) “Primo platti” 3) “Secondi platti” 4) Desserts.

Since we had a large lunch (at the excellent Michael Collins pub) we weren’t hungry so opted for the an anti-pasti dish and I chose from the “Primo platti list and my friend from the “Secondi platti”. While we waited for the first course we were served bread, cute bread stick type circles and a thing on a costal stick that tasted of olives and parma ham. We chose the same starter which was the huge prawns served with panzanella salad – a recommendation from the excellent waiter. The prawns were delicious and sweet and the salad excellent to taste. For mains, I had taglialini with a cheese sauce and my friend veal with potatoes and a vegetable rosti type thing. Simple and delicious.

The meal was accompanied by one bottle of wine and two bottles of water. The meal in total came to €120.

The staff there are amazingly polite and helped my friend decipher the menu which was written in French and Italian.

The restaurant was clean and modern and didn’t have the dirty dusty layer I’ve experienced in Brussels restaurants thus far.

I really enjoyed the experience and it’s been the best restaurant Italian restaurant I’ve ever been to (and the best restaurant I’ve visited in Brussels so far).
Well done. We’ll be back.

1  Thank Chachachingching

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I was invited by a friend/business partner who is a regular here. I arrived before him and the welcome was very professional but also warm. We didn't have much time so we opted for two suggestions of the day. The starter, an exquisite carpaccio of 'Loup de mer' (bass) was on our table before we could even start serious conversation. We drank a glass of excellent white wine from the Marche. We were sitting close to a wall of beautiful and tempting bottles and I took a look at their wine list which is split into "regular" and "prestige". You will find great wines in both sections. For the main course we were served 'orrecchiette with beef sausage in tomato sauce'. Less sophisticated than the starter it was nevertheless perfect and tasted of true local cuisine. The glass of red wine was 'powerful' and mellow. A quick expresso and we were gone, just on time, fully satisfied.
On the other hand, I cannot say how expensive the meal was as I was invited but I guess it was not cheap.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

You can't go wrong with this restaurant. The atmosphere is great, the Italian staff is extremely helpful and friendy, which unfortunately is something rare in many restaurants in Brussels. The food is delicious and the prices are reasonable in relation to the excellent quality. Great restaurant!!!

Reviewed April 21, 2013

A truly welcoming and warm staff (all actual Italians, as far I could see) greets you and attends to your every need and serves you fantastic food and I caught myself realizing I was not really in Italy, as I had just returned from Milan (read: ate lots of great Italian food in Italy recently for comparison) just 48 hours earlier... ...quite an impressive feat, especially considering that. The decor and atmosphere is very classy, but inviting and modern rather than stuffy and dark. I would definitely return with gusto.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Have never found cinta senese (a type of pork meat, very sought after) on a menu outside of Tuscany before, and the ragu this restaurant made of it was fabulous. Great truffle pasta, great Vitello tonnato, in fact everything we had was excellent. In a great modern clean space, with a good vibe. A really good restaurant - the kind you could eat in every day and never feel like its too much - the best thing about good Italian food. The toilets are also spotless and nicely presented, which is a real rarity in Brussels! The staff is friendly and efficient.