“If I were an employee here, I'd be embarrassed. Not up to standard.”
Review of La Maharani

La Maharani
Ranked #2,715 of 3,834 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: La Maharani is an authentic Indian restaurant in the heart of Brussels, Belgium since last 28 Years, that's refined yet affordable, upscale and still comfortable. Take your pick from a variety of dishes and watch as our Indian master chefs work their magic at La Maharani. If you love Indian food or want to try some we are open for dine-in, takeaway as well as home delivery.
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Date of visit: 24 May 2013

We initially wanted to go to the Michael Collins pub on Avenue Louise, but the place was overcrowded beyond belief. So my friend and I opted to go to an eatery nearer the Grand Place.

We stumbled upon La Maharani restaurant and decided to go in – we both like Indian food and hadn’t eaten any in Brussels.

Upon arrival I noticed that the place had no smell. It’s the first time I’ve ever entered an Indian restaurant and not smelled anything; food, spices .. no smell at all! We were greeted at the entrance by a young man who was very polite and showed us where to sit. The place was almost empty, so we had a huge choice. We were then served by an older man who probably lost the function of his smile muscles – he was a little surly to say the least. He took our drinks orders and then came back to take our meal order. I noticed he didn’t use a pen and paper to take the order, instead he memorised the lot which was impressive. My friend and I decided to purchase poppudums and a variety of starters as we like to try a variety of different things in an Indian restaurant we’ve never been to. When the poppudums came they were looked shop bought, were not fresh and were burnt. We ordered three starters:

- Chicken tikka
- Crab on a puri (it was like a crab version of prawn puri)
- Vegetable samosa

It took a long while for the starters to come and when they did, only two out of the three arrived; the crab and the samosas. The crab was really nice, but there was a huge prawn in it which shouldn’t have been there! Luckily neither of us has an allergy to prawns. The samosas were disgusting – thick dry pastry and dry tasteless filling – nothing like the light, flaky tasty samosas I’m accustomed to in the UK. When we finished the two starters, the chicken tikka turned up! I’ve had chicken tikka lots of times and they vary slightly, but essentially the premise is the same. The chicken tikka I had at this restaurant was insipid – yes, “insipid” is the only adjective I can use; small pieces of diced chicken, which were lukewarm, swimming in a runny oily coating which was trying to pass itself off as tikka! If I were the cook/chef I’d have been embarrassed to serve it. It wasn’t nice.

For our main course:
-1 large portion of pilau rice
- 1 keema naan
- 1 plain naan
- 1 chicken korma
- 1 spinach & lamb curry

The rice was not pilau, it was plain boiled basmati rice. The keema naan was not keema naan. The plain naan tasted disgusting – I could tell the flour used was the variety sold in the shops as it had an awful taste I’m familiar with. The chicken korma tasted OK. It looked as if it had been heated up in a microwave as it had a skin on it. It also lost its heat very quickly; reminiscent of something that has been microwaved. The lamb curry was OK, but not great or even good. It filled a hungry hole so to speak.

The food wasn’t good here, by UK standards, this place wouldn’t even be somewhere drunks visit on a Saturday night – it was bad!

I noticed there was no smell or noise of the kitchens in the restaurant. I’m convinced there is no kitchen there, just a small room with a microwave. The food wasn’t good and it didn’t taste freshly made.

I wouldn't go back again and I hope my review serves as a deterrent for anyone to even go in the place. Just keep walking!

1  Thank Chachachingching

Reviewed April 9, 2013

As authentic as it gets.

Very good Indian food, but dont request for spicy as it can be real spicy even for indians.

Nice atmosphere, ample seating facilities.

This is your typical European Indian restaurant.
You are very unlikely to go wrong.

1  Thank tropicsboy
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I went there this weekend, we both were gobsmacked by the food. It was very nice food. We too chose the menu and eventhough it wasn't cheap it definitely was worth it. When we asked for some yogurt (to reduce the spice of the food) it even was free of charge.

The food was rather spicy, but we asked for spicy, so no complaints there. And we finished everything!

We will definitely go there again and recommand it to others.

If you are planning on going there and you read the reviews, maybe you should keep in mind the there might be cultural differences in appreciating the food. While reading the reviews I saw that people liking/not liking it usually come from the same country.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We went to this restaurant because the Indian we saw the previous night which was full, was closed. We were not disappointed, thou the madras I had did not taste like a madras, I am getting used to what I had in England not tasting the same abroad, but it was tasty. The Tikka Masala that my partner had was delicious, as were the starters.
The King Fisher beer was not cold and a bit flat as I read in a previous review, but the second one was better, maybe not many people drink the King Fisher and they put one in the fridge.
The restaurant was busy and there was a lot of Indian people eating in the restaurant, which is a good sign.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Ii walked in from the street hoping it was good. Nice menu and choice. Anyway I had a mixed main course, which I never do, and a beer. Dont know what the beer was like - the food was too tasty.
The mixed courses were a tandoori leg, a korma, a curry, a veggy coure and lentil mix, rice, yoghurt and nan.
The tandoori had no kick, nor the lentils but the rest was ok. Could have used more rice.

Service very good and if you are fresh in Indian or avoid hot curries its great. For me - a lover of Indian cuisine. Sorry - ok - no more.