“Terrible food and indifferent service. And it's not cheap!”
Review of La Maharani

La Maharani
Ranked #2,701 of 3,804 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: La Maharani is an authentic Indian restaurant in the heart of Brussels, Belgium since last 28 Years, that's refined yet affordable, upscale and still comfortable. Take your pick from a variety of dishes and watch as our Indian master chefs work their magic at La Maharani. If you love Indian food or want to try some we are open for dine-in, takeaway as well as home delivery.
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This is by far the worst Indian restaurant I have ever been to. The waiter and manager had a "couldn't care less" attitude. And the food was really awful. I had never seen such terrible food served in an Indian restaurant. In fact I don't think I've had such bad food in any other restaurant.

This was my son's "meal"... Mutton Roganjosh with plain rice. The main dish consisted of 4 small pieces of what looked like tinned meat with half a tinned tomato at the bottom of a bowl of Bisto like gravy which had very slight spicing. This was served with a bowl of white rice which had a large piece if cinnamon and a few cloves in it. He struggled to eat it and didn't finish it.

This was mi wife's "meal"... Fish Curry with the same plain rice. The fish was about half a small tin of tinned salmon. It was covered with a watery, almost unspiced "sauce" which had a strange bright orange colour. It looked nearly as bad as it tasted. She couldn't eat it.

This was my "meal"... Vegetable Biryani. This consisted of overcooked rice mixed with some defrosted supermarket soup vegetables. It was slightly spiced but this wasn't the usual biryani spices, more like an ordinary curry powder with some cloves added. The accompanying "sauce"was a small bowl of plain yogurt! I forced myself to eat some of this "meal" only because I was very hungry.

The service was very, very slow despite the fact that we were the only customers in the place. I was not even offered anything to drink!

Curiously, we were not asked if we liked the meal. I had the impression that the staff knew that the food was terrible and didn't want to give us the chance to complain.

1  Thank Alex W

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Ugh! There is a McDonalds close by, that has better food and free internet. In fact I should have checked the ratings of La Maharani before eating, I didn't, and I regret it. Expensive and they don't have a chef, just a cook who probably just learnt to cook Indian food on the fly.

1  Thank akalsahai
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Rainy day and I wanted indian food...so even after reading bad reviews, I decided to try this restaurant because it was closer to the hotel. I tried to put up a positive demeanor to get the owner on my side but it did not help a whole lot...When I asked for wifi password, he won't give it to me but grabbed my cell phone and put it on himself! This has never happened to me before. I ordered vegetarian. The samosas came, tasted OK but inside was still cold...I am sure it is home made and frozen (nothing wrong with that), but was not fried enough. I was worried about the fate of my vegetarian thali, but surprisingly it was warm and tasted decent. It was a bit too spicy for me, although I ordered medium spicy. But I won't blame the owner for that, because indians do like it spicy. Two guys of indian origin walked in. The owner tried to seat them in an inconspicous place which they did not appreciate and walked out. Overall, I think the owner can turn around the place with just a little smile and adding personal touch. It is a bit risky to go to this place, unless you are as desperate as I was for indian food.

1  Thank ven n
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The staff is no where near to being courteous. It took them ages to serve. A very racist place.., the whites get priority over the dark skinned. The food that arrived after more than an hour was horrible to taste.
But the worst was yet to come. A couple with a small kid were seated on the table beside ours. The kid (hardly 5 years old) accidentally dropped a plate of rice from the table and guess what - the hotel owner was yelling at the couple and literally made the lady clean the floor of the restaurant; all this in front of a full house. I walked out of the place and never went there again. When I come across friends visiting Brussels, I make sure I tell them not to go to this place.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Tried Mixed Vegetable curry and palak paneer (spinach with cottage) - basic indian curry that any restaurant worth its salt should dish out well. Both were tasteless bland and had a defrosted look about them.

Even worse, the server actually asked how much tips he could add while billing my card, which never happens in Belgium - you can guess my answer!

1  Thank Mageric S