“Keep on walking.”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 9, 2012

When you show up, you'll notice there aren't many people inside. Don't second guess yourself - it's not just a slow night.

Personally, I am not a picky eater (seriously, I've lived quite happily off of spam before). We were coached into coming inside by the owner and assumed it would have to be halfway decent. I couldn't eat more than a spoonful of my lobster bisque as it was way way too fishy. My sister's fish was drowning in butter and was extremely mushy in texture. My father's steak was flavorful, but very chewy. We've eaten at other places in Brussels for a fraction of the price that have been much better. The steak and frites were finished. The fish and lobster bisque were left on the plate untouched. We were charge for everything. You can do a lot better.

There are newer reviews for Le Dauphin

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We went here because my partner saw the "lobster special "menu and wanted to treat us. This place does not deserve to survive in a city where even museum cafeteria serve good food. First we waited half an hour for the "terrine" which was soup gelified and one piece of lobster flesh. Then half an hour's wait for the soup.And finally after another half an hour's wait, the main course, which was, you guessed, frozen (green at the top) and the sauce was soup diluted with lots of cream. Dessert was 2 balls of vanilla ice cream with a dash of whipped cream and also needed a long time to come. Then the grand finale: one table (of 5) decided (rightly) not to pay for the "service" and so the police were called and we had to wait even longer- no coffe/liquerurs offered to make up for the inconvenience of course, On the contrary, could we pay in cash? And don't forget the tip!! Basil Fawlty lives.

1  Thank Peter S
Reviewed October 2, 2012

It was a rainy Friday, early eveing when we stopped in Le Dauphin and had the place to ourselves. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our meals were served in a timely fashion and overall the experience was postive. I'm not certain if all the the bad reviews are worthy. ?????

Reviewed January 18, 2012

We went to the restuarant on the final night of a suprise break for my 30th birthday (Monday 5th Dec) . We were outside perusing the menu when a "Basil faulty" style gentleman came out to help us with the menu and basically coax us inside. Having looked at the menu we decided to go in (if only we'd kept walking)

We were shown to our table by the waiter, who used the word please every 5 seconds (this is not an exaggeration, and after half an hour becomes increasingly annoying). My husband and I ordered from the taster menu, with our friends just ordering a Main Course each. Our starters arrived and were ok, nothing special though, certainly not the "amazing food" we were led to believe we would be eating.

Fourty five minutes later a couple arrived and sat at the table next to us. They sat for 15 minutes without their drinks order being taken. As the Waiter walked past me I called to him "Excuse me", twice he ignored me, so on the third time I was a little louder, he walked straight passed me to the kitchen and yelled "YOUR FOOD IS COMING", I replied with "yes but when"? At the top of his voice he looked around and screamed "NOW, ITS COMING NOW". Well the couple on the table next to us got up and left, everyone was staring, it was very embarrasing.

This is when another waiter stepped in, you could tell he was getting increasingly frustrated with the older waiter as he didn't seem to know what was going on and had no manners whatsoever.

We ordered another round of drinks, and finally 15 minutes after being yelled at the food arrived, approximately 1 and a 1/2 hours after the first course. My friend had ordered shrimp, a bowl came out with 6 shrimp in it and this was priced at over 17Euros. My other friend ordered a bowl of Mussels, my Husband had a piece of beef and I had Salmon, the Restaurant was not evern busy so why on earth should this take an hour and a half.

At the end of the meal we asked for the bill and my Husband and friends Husband looked at it while me and my friend were in the lavatory (which wasn't the nicest we had been in either). When we came back to the table they were contesting the bill which was far more than we expected to be paying (over 150 Euros). We made our complaints to the younger waiter about 1) The way I was shouted at 2) The length of time it took to bring the main 3) The extortionate price for 6 shrimp and he said it was not in his power to be able to reduce our bill, or even remove the drinks from it. We asked to see the Manager/Owner so we could resolve it with them, but of course, they weren't available.

My Husband did the calculation based on the Menu and we left the amount which we believed the bill should be (which was approximatly 25 Euros less), and we left. 5 Minutes later as we wandered through the Christmas market, the waiter came out yelling at us, holding his mobile phone he stopped in front of us waving his arms and forcing us back, he was calling the police.

My Husband noticed two police men behind us and we began walking towards them to get their advice. With that the Waiter barged his way through us and began speaking with the police. The Policeman explained to us that this Waiter would have to use his wages to make up the outstanding amount which we had failed to pay and that it was the law that we settled exactly what was on the bill. With that my friend handed the waiter the extra money, and we informed him we would be leaving our comments on line.

I agree that it would not have been right for that Waiter to have to pay out his wages because we did not pay the full bill, especially as he was not the one who yelled at me, however I would question whether or not he was actually the owner himself and just refused to listen to our complaints.

Once the Waiter had left the Policeman informed us that we were not the first people to have experienced this kind of service and that we would not be the last. We were told to avoid the area at all costs as Restauranters around that area take full advantage of unsuspecting tourists.

As a regular traveller I have eaten in so many restaurants, worldwide, and enjoy a wide range of foods from roadside food stalls in Bangkok to 5* eateries in Rome and this is the worst place we have ever eaten.

The experience was awful and ruined our last night in Brussels. Avoid this restaurant at all costs!

6  Thank discoveringtheworld
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Worst restaurant I ever visited. The waiter spilled wine on both us and our jackets and when we asked for to avoid paying for the water (8 euros!) As (very little) compensation they threatened to call the police. Boring food, disposed of service, never go there!

4  Thank Helen B