“50/50 about this place”

Ranked #10 of 62 Dessert in Brussels
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: Located in the heart of Brussels between the Grand-Place and the Bourse (Stock market), the family owned Dandoy Biscuits has perpetuated its unique craftsmanship of traditional Belgian and Brussels specialties since 1829. Based on original recipes, using the best natural ingredients, with no additives, preserving or colouringagents, Dandoy Biscuits are daily hand made in our factory. Hence the uniqueand incomparable flavour of our biscuits which is the foundation of our extended reputation locally and internationally. The Dandoy Tea Room was opened in 1984in the Rue Charles Buls by Jean Dandoy. The Tea Room enabled Dandoy to better respond to our customers’ ever increasing demand for innovation and high quality products. In this unique environment dedicated to Dandoy products consumers can not only savour our range of biscuits but also our unique traditional Brussels and Liège Waffles based on our family’s recipe. We complete our Tea Room offer witha wide range of home made ice creams and traditional Tea Room quality products (salted tarts, pancakes, fresh juices,...).
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

After reading the really good reviews, I decided to try this place out. I tried both the Belgian style waffle and the Leige waffle. I personally loved the Leige, and I really suggest you have them natural with no toppings. On weekends and holidays, this place gets packed, so I don't suggest you even try going there. They open at 10 a.m. and close pretty early which I find odd for a breakfast-type place. What I didn't like the most about this place is that the service is VERY slow. Everyone just seems to be taking things way too easy. Also, I'm not sure about the hygiene. I wanted 2 Leige waffles to take home in a plastic bag, and the waiter didn't bother using tongs or gloves to pack them up :( I'm not a very picky person, but if you are, make sure how they handle your food. This place has many branches which sell the cookies only. The one with the tearoom (the room opens at 11) is opposite of Amigo Hotel, right off the Grand Place and City Hall.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,279)

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Having read recommendations, we just had to visit Maison Dandoy. Despite navigating to their store first, and then eventually being greeted with a 20 minute queue to be seated at the restaurant and another 15 minutes for our orders to be taken, we eventually got to taste what the fuss was all about. And oh boy, were they good or what?!

I ordered the Liege waffle with chocolate sauce and ice cream. The waffle was perfect and easily the best I’ve ever had. It had the right ‘chewy consistency’, warm and the caramelized sugar cranked up the flavours several notches. The ice cream was very good too, slowly melting away as I worked my way through the waffle. My mate’s order of a Liege Waffle with lemon juice and ice cream was worth the wait too. They are slightly on the higher end of the price scale as far as waffles go (5.6 euros each for ours), but it’s got to be done if you ask me!

Don’t get put off by the long queues and the fact that it’s in the tourist black hole; this one is definitely worth the wait!

Reviewed October 29, 2013

So we came here twice for waffles, both times the line for take away was quite long.
They really don't have any system worked out - you wait and then someone serves you and then you wait while they prepare your waffle (sometimes needing to cook it as well), and then finally you get it. There seemed to be loads of people around doing not much!

Dandoy, seriously - work out a system. One person cooking, one taking orders, one preparing. The line will disappear!
Anyways, on to the waffles...

We got a re-heated one one time, and a fresh one the second time. Bit disappointed with the reheated one considering their reputation. But the fresh one was brilliant! Make sure you ask for a fresh one!

Just plain they are delicious - beautiful caramelisation of the outside, soft and gooey inside, and the flavour is wonderful. Seriously don't hide it by loading up with ice cream and chocolate sauce. You'll miss what makes it so good.

For a waffle with all the toppings and things, go next door - you'll get your waffle and the toppings and be none the wiser on the quality of the actual waffle!

Reviewed October 18, 2013

It was the wrost experience that I ever had. The service was soooooo slowwww and inefficient.
Bringing our requests with intervals of 30 minutes: 1º waffle (without cutlery, napckins), 30 min later the cappuccino (without sugar, or spoon), 15 min later, the other ordered waffles (of course, no cutlery) and so forth! We complained but the employees showed arrogant and agressive, without recognizing the terrible service.
The dishes were good but we completly lost our appetit.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We ordered an Original waffle and topped with vanilla ice cream. Our server, a young man was very nice behind the counter and willing to explain all the options.

We did find the waffle average. Only average, thought it would be better.

We have tried several places without success this time round.

The BEST WAFFLES we ever had in Brussels was at Café Wilcher when the Conrad hotel was on Avenue Louise, which is no longer a Conrad as it was sold off.
That waffle was thick, fluffy on the inside, crispy outside with wonderful pearls of sugar inside. That's a few year gone now.

We hope someone picks up that quality and style, it would be great for Brussels again.