“Put Dandoy's on your "Must List"”

Maison Dandoy - Tea Room & Waffles
Ranked #23 of 74 Dessert in Brussels
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: Located in the heart of Brussels between the Grand-Place and the Bourse (Stock market), the family owned Dandoy Biscuits has perpetuated its unique craftsmanship of traditional Belgian and Brussels specialties since 1829. Based on original recipes, using the best natural ingredients, with no additives, preserving or colouringagents, Dandoy Biscuits are daily hand made in our factory. Hence the uniqueand incomparable flavour of our biscuits which is the foundation of our extended reputation locally and internationally. The Dandoy Tea Room was opened in 1984in the Rue Charles Buls by Jean Dandoy. The Tea Room enabled Dandoy to better respond to our customers’ ever increasing demand for innovation and high quality products. In this unique environment dedicated to Dandoy products consumers can not only savour our range of biscuits but also our unique traditional Brussels and Liège Waffles based on our family’s recipe. We complete our Tea Room offer witha wide range of home made ice creams and traditional Tea Room quality products (salted tarts, pancakes, fresh juices,...).
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I originally left Dandoy’s off my “Must See/Eat/Drink List of Brussels” based on some negative reviews, especially the ones from tourists. Seems like every reviewer from outside Belgium had a bad experience with service or food quality.

But on Sunday morning, I made an adjustment to my agenda because my wife wanted to sit down and enjoy a waffle from a place that wasn’t a stand/van. Therefore, Dandoy’s came back into play. At first we visited the wrong location for waffles (there are a six Dandoy’s in Brussels) my navigational skills are not the best at times, especially when I’m hungry. We arrived at the correct location, right off the Grand Place down Rue Charles Buls around 11:30am. We went upstairs (take away or stand up service is available downstairs) and were greeted by a young waitress who showed us a table right away.

The overall service and dining experience was great. Our waitress (seemed like she was only the one working the entire upstairs) was pleasant and fast. But we were really there for the waffles, they did NOT disappoint. My wife had the Belgium Waffle with caramel sauce and fresh whipped cream (extra charge) and I tried the Liege Waffle with fruit sauce. Both were out of this world and worth the price tag. Our entire meal, two waffles and one large fresh lemon-orange juice (@ €5) came to €17.35 Upon our exit, the line for a table upstairs had stretched all the way down the spiral staircase.

So my tips, if you go, go early and if you want to save a few cents, eat at downstairs; if you want to sit and splurge go up. I’m glad I put Dandoy back on my “Must See/Eat/Drink List.” It was worth it.

Date of visit: February 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,700)

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Located just off the main square, we wanted to get out of the rain, have a cup of tea and a waffle, went for black tea and biscuit's followed by brussels waffle topped with ice cream and cherries. Biscuits were very nice, waffles were very good but just next door you can get a topped waffle for 1€ compared to €5.20 in Dandoy. Lots of seating upstairs, was a very nice afternoon treat.

Date of visit: February 2013
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Lovely biscuits the way they "used to make them". Perfect gift for anyone with a sweet tooth. Don't know what to choose? Go for the "pain grecque", also small quantities to enjoy on your way between the Grand Place & Manneke Pis.

Date of visit: December 2012
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We have visit Brussel serveral times but we never went to Dandoy until I''ll found it on tripadvisor.
I have to search for it but I found it ,it near the Big Market in the street to Hotel Amigo.

The restaurant has a etage where you can drink and eat there biscuit,waffels and so one.

We ordered a brussel waffel with caramel and a coffee with there home made biscuits.
We were not disappointed , the taste was great.
Take care there are Brussel Waffels and Luik Waffels,the first one are very light the second one are more heavy'er.

The atmosphere is nice you just feel you go back in time ,the service is very very friendly.
There speculos is famous.

The price is ok,it's worth it ,you can also eat waffels on the street but they are quit different as at Dandoy.

Just try it by yourself you will not be disappointed..

Date of visit: January 2013
1  Thank searcherNetherlands
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Went here today after reading all the great reviews and wasn't disappointed. We got lucky and were seated right away. I had a hot lemon drink, which was very good if you love lemons like I do. Very strong, but you get some water to dilute it and can ask for more.
My Liege waffle 'nature' (plain) was nothing short of spectacular. Soft, chewy, sweet smelling. I originally planned to save a half for later but just could not :)
Next time I will try it with cooked cherries (there are many topping options - easily over 20), or I might branch out and try a Brussels waffle or their speculoos ice. An excellent choice overall and highly recommended.