“Convineient but poor facilities”

Ibis Brussels Centre Sainte Catherine
Ranked #65 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
GreenLeadersSilver level
Zurich
“Convineient but poor facilities”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The hotel is conveniently situated less than 10 minutes’ walk from the Brussels Centraal train station. There is a bus stop outside the hotel as well although I didn’t get to use it.

Upon arriving at the hotel the checkin girl seemed uninterested. I guess being a Sunday afternoon may have had something to do with it. I stayed on the 6th floor in one of the inward facing rooms having read reviews here about noise on street facing rooms. The room itself although very clean was extremely small. Getting through the door and navigating through the end of the bed was a struggle at times. The bathroom was very clean too however extremely small. As the saying normally goes, “you can’t even swing a cat” in there…Forget swinging the cat as that will be the least of your worries as you could barely fit yourself and the cat in there in the first place.

The food in the restaurant at breakfast was okay and the lady serving behind the bar at night she was very nice. Probably about the only one in that hotel that enjoyed her job.

Room Tip: Rooms inward facing are supposed to be quieter as the streets outside are quite noisey.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SavileImage
GMIbisBXLcity, General Manager at Ibis Brussels Centre Sainte Catherine, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for writing such an extensive review on our hotel. Your comments help us in our efforts to improve our services.

I am sorry to learn that your experience has not been fully satisfactory, indeed our rooms are small and we definetely could do a better service and give you a warm welcome, even on a sunday afternoon.

I will pick this up with my team and hopefully we can give you a better service in the future!

Warm regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Front Royal, Virginia
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Ibis hotel chain is the popular choice in Holland and parts of Europe. Its almost like Marriott for the U.S. with different levels of amenities such as J.W. or full service Marriotts versus Fairfield in or Springhill Suites. This particular location has very tiny rooms for the bare bones traveler. I had one suitcase and it was cramped with just me and the suitcase. The hotel was full of people when I travelled and the elevators can be hard to obtain at times (a football match was going on at a nearby stadium). There is a restaurant downstairs that serves sandwiches, beer, and coffee. Its ok but everything is made with a Panini grill behind the counter. Parking is a nightmare if you arrive on a late night. The closest parking garage is across the street and you have to play frogger to get to the hotel. The parking garage on a Friday night was so busy cars were trying to park behind each other and I was only able to find a spot after they opened the overflow gate. DO NOT drive into the downtown area. It is a nightmare and people walking everywhere with cars trying to get you to run pedestrians over. Parking and the hotel are covered so last, but not least location. The location is somewhat centralized. Right behind the hotel is St. Catherines and it is beautiful. Right behind the front of it is a huge area with restaurants on each side, empty fountains in the middle (with beautiful sculptures), subway entrances, and a lot of graffiti the further you travel away from your hotel. Look on the roofs of the buildings and you will see amazing works of art. You can walk to all parts of the city from the hotel, but be careful of traffic. On the weekends at night their is a square out the front door of the hotel and to the right that you can walk to that has street vendors. Lots of teenage children hanging around, but no one bothered me. Brussels has very avid art enthusiasts according to quite a few people I talked to. They lean more towards comics and cartoons, but also have a lot of abstract art. I stopped in one of the bigger art shops right up the street from the hotel and was amazed to see some amazing Belgian talent. I purchased a print 150 something out of 300 something from the comic shop. The owner informed me that it was a local artist who had become very famous and drew and illustrated a comic that portrayed an alternate reality of Brussels. Almost like the movie Sin City for people from the U.S. Overall the hotel is in a decent location for a good amount of sight seeing. Its far enough away from the "seedy" area that families can walk around even at night and enjoy themselves. The only hindrance is the size of the rooms, but realistically how much will you actually stay in your room?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
GMIbisBXLcity, Directeur général at Ibis Brussels Centre Sainte Catherine, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear,

Thank you for your extensive review and feedback on our hotel.
I am happy to read that you had a good stay and I woiuld like to welcome you soon back again in Brussels.

Beste Regards,

Sheffield, Uk
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Had a recent 4 night stay here. The room is typical Ibis, however the room was a little smaller than I'm used to with UK Ibis hotels.

The bed and pillows were both comfy, meaning I slept very well. The en-suite bathroom was very small, but functional with a good shower. The walls in the bathroom could have done with a lick of paint to cover up a number of scuffs. The air conditioning in the room was excellent, and was able to turn the room icy-cold within minutes (just how I like it!!!)

The hotel is centrally located, about 15 minutes walk to central station or about 1 minute to the nearest Metro station (Saint Catherine).

I didn't eat at the hotel, but there was an excellent selection of Belgian beers in the bar (not that I would expect anything else in Brussels!), at reasonable prices for a hotel.

The room rates were higher than I'm used to paying in the UK for Ibis, and as mentioned UK rooms are bigger and they have in-room tea/coffee which this hotel didn't (I believe this is the norm for budget hotels in Europe). However the rates were good for Brussels when compared to the competition.

I would certainly consider this hotel again for any future trips to Brussels. Well done Accor!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking your time to share your experience at our hotel on TripAdvisor.

Me and the team are looking forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

London
Reviewed June 23, 2013

i This is a busy city-centre Ibis located just a few minutes walk from the Grand Place. Metro stations Bourse, de Brouckere and Sainte Catherine are all nearby. If going for the first time, I'd suggest going to Sainte Katherine as it's a much more straightforward walk with less roads to cross and less people. Central Station is about 12 minutes walk, but don't even thing of doing this if you have a lot of luggage. Wheeley luggage and cobbled streets are not a good match. Take the Metro and save yourself a lot of stress.
The entrance is in the tiny rue Joseph Plateau. If you have trouble finding it, locate Sainte Catherine's church (hard to miss!) and the Novotel, and it's sandwiched in between the two,
The rooms are standard Ibis rooms, clean and comfortable. The bed was especially good. The aircon worked well and was not overly noisy. Yes, the bathrooms are small by American standards, but they are well thought out and make the best use of the space. I'm 6'4" and I managed perfectly well. I like the fact that the soap is attached to the wall; this is a much more eco-friendly system than providing and the mini bottles of this and that which get half used and then thrown away.
If you use Ibis a lot, their loyalty scheme Carte Ibis is well worth the money as if gives you priority check-in as well as financial savings.

Room Tip: If you leave your window open at night be prepared to be woken up by the trash collectors early in t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

We highly appreciate the time you have taken to post your positive review on this forum.

My staff and I are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Kind regards,

new jersey
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We spent 4 days in Brussels and enjoyed our trip. The hotel is very well situated, near well known attractions and restaurants. The rooms and especially the bathrooms are very, very small and if you have a lot of luggage, or are big sized people, this is not the place for you. The staff was very helpful and nice. The breakfast is too expensive for the area. Security is very good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank nomad054
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear about our breakfast, we are offering a wide range of first class healthy products.

My staff and I are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Kind regards,

Dungarvan, Ireland
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This hotel is really to be used as a base for seeing Brussels as there isn't really much in the hotel beside your room. The bar/restaurant was overpriced - not to be used unless absolutely necessary! The rooms were fine. Bathrooms were rather cramped though. Also, I had to laugh when I saw the soap was attached to the wall :)

Best things about this hotel are the amazing breakfast (although you have to be up early to get the full benefit of it) and it's perfect location for seeing Brussels.

Worst thing: didn't get a great night's sleep the first night as the rooms tend to get very warm

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
GMIbisBXLcity, General Manager at Ibis Brussels Centre Sainte Catherine, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to submit a review on Tripadvisor after your stay with us.

We are delighted to learn that your experience has left a lasting positive impression.

My team and I look forward to having the pleasure in welcoming you back for a return visit!

Kind Regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed at many Ibis hotels. This one has to be one of the worst. The rooms are old and in need of updating. The bed was just a hard base and a mattress topper instead of a mattress. Woke up in morning with a very sore back. The toilet, which I have to say was pretty clean, was also dated and in need of redecoration. The room wasn't very clean, with marks on the handles of the doors and the room was exceptionally small - when you walked in door the bed was immediately in front of you. On the plus side, the hotel had a very nice bar on ground floor and the vicinity of the hotel to bars and restaurants and sightseeing was good. It didn't spoil our break but certainly would not recommend to anyone who is used to using the Ibis chain of hotels.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angela_Derek_Prentic
Dear guest,

I am sorry to learn that your experience has not been fully satisfactory.
It surprises me a little bit that you found our bed hard and not comfortable, so far we had nothing but great comments about our new beds.

We have taken your comments seriously and I disccussed your feedback regarding the cleanliness with our Executive housekeeper.

It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel and demonstrate the improvements that have been made thanks to your feedback.

Kevin Martens

Travelers are raving about these Brussels hotels