“European Parliamnet visit”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Southampton, United Kingdom
“European Parliamnet visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a convenient city centre hotel, close to public transport and places of interest. I stayed there of one night only, arriving late evening and leaving early morning, my only complaint was that the bathroom was really small and I had difficulty in getting in and out of the shower due to the closeness of the shower cubicle doors t the walls. This was confirmed by two other colleagues who stayed in the hotel at the same time and found the same problem, in other Ibis hotels it is usual to have a bathroom "module" fitted but i suspect that this was an existing building that has been converted to a hotel.

Despite tnis the hotel was warm and comfortable but, buy your breakfast at one of the many local cafes as it is substantially cheaper than eating in the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GMIbisBXLcity, General Manager at Ibis Brussels Centre Sainte Catherine, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking your time to share your experience at our hotel on TripAdvisor.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay, indeed our bathrooms are on the small side and it's very difficult to change them in an excisting building.
About the breakfast, I am sorry to hear that you didn't have the breakfast in our hotel, we try to give lots of variation in the products and healthy food to start the day in the very best conditions!

Me and the team are looking forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Kevin Martens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Location great, close to grand place. Room reasonable size for Europe. Before arriving to hotel, email with a list of requests all were met.
Typical ibis hotel, no fridge, no kettle, iron & ironing board out in the corridor. Would recommend though as everything is on walking distance.
To get to hotel by train, get on the esplanade line (line 4 or 3 get off at Bourse Beurs, (walk approx 300 metres) beats changing at De Brouckere & changing on lines 1 - 5 exiting at Sainte -Catherine.
Had to buy a scented candle as the room has a mould smell.
All questions answered by front desk staff promptly.
Front desk staff spoke good English.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Kind regards, Kevin Martens
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Excellent location, in the city center. Small, but clean rooms. Free WIFI internet. Very comfortable, large beds. Our room also had a great view on the Saint Catherine cathedral. A downside, in winter, would be the heating system, that is a bit strange and not working very well. All in all, I warmly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write your extensive review on this forum. We are pleased to learn you have enjoyed your stay with us and noticed the efforts we have put in to increase our service standards.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back for a return visit.

Until then, I remain at your entire disposal for any further queries.

Kind regards
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

The bedrooms are small, the bathrooms are smaller. Don't bring your cat as you won't be able to swing it.

We had twin beds - but they may as well have been a double - no space between!

Previous guests hair in the bathroom.

Cleaners made a lot of noise in the morning.

All that said I would use it again. It's a 10 minute walk to Grand Place - but a lot cheaper than the the Ibis off Grand Place (which isn't really off Grand Place at all!)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Was originally booked in for 4 nights, checked out after 1 to go find accommodation elsewhere.

The room is tiny (my colleague at one point compared it to a prison cell, which I think about sums it up).
The bathroom in my room was small beyond all reasonable expectations.

Upon arrival at the hotel, I was told that breakfast was not included in the price I had paid, even though I was able to show the person reception my booking confirmation that clearly said “Bed & Breakfast”. It also said the same in the copy he held in his hand, but he was adamant that the price I had paid was only enough to cover “the room and tax”. At this point it should be pointed out that for the price I paid to stay at this hotel for room only, I could have got a room in a far nicer hotel in a much better location, and would have done so if I knew that breakfast was not included.

At night whilst in the bar area, the barman told me he could not serve me another drink as his shift was about to finish, but that someone else would be starting.....in 15 mins. So the bar was unmanned for 15 mins and when the next member of staff turned up, he turned off all the lights behind the bar and disappeared off to reception, never to be seen again.

Back in my room, there was no trashcan, no fridge and no tea/coffee facilities (basic expectations of a hotel) and the temperature was close to freezing. The bathroom was the same, and could only be heated using a heater that is on a 15 minute timer.

I had next to no sleep as there were 5 or 6 rooms on my floor having some sort of wild, combined party – the hotel is obviously much more suited to someone there for partying than on business. In the morning, the same rooms were still making just as much noise and there was underwear (of theirs I assume) scattered around the corridor.

Nearby parking is expensive and it is not explained by staff where you can park your car, and the nearby streets at night can only be described as resembling a ghetto, lined with “female street workers” and homeless people pestering you for money.

Will never stay in this hotel again, and would strongly recommend anyone coming to Brussels stays anywhere else except here.

Room Tip: You can't. Not at this hotel.
2 Thank L G
Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for writing such an extensive review on our hotel. Your comments help us in our efforts to improve our services.

I am sorry to learn that your experience has not been fully satisfactory.

We have taken your comments seriously and measures have been taken to improve.

It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel and demonstrate the improvements that have been made thanks to your feedback.

Kevin Martens

Travelers are raving about these Brussels hotels

Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Basic hotel with clean room - more than adequate space for one person. Good choice of TV channels. Bed was a bit uncomfortable. Bathroom was small but clean and fine for a short stay. Some noise from outside in the evening which is probably worse if room faces the street. Really good central location for both St Catherine and De Brouckere metro stations. Quick walking distance to the Grand Place and lots of places to eat nearby - did not eat in the hotel. Near the Rue Neuve for good choice of high street shops. I stayed for 3 nights and enjoyed my stay. I found the staff very helpful and friendly and would happily stay here again for another city break.

Room Tip: Pick a room that is not overlooking the street - you will lose out on a view but much quieter
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
GMIbisBXLcity, General Manager at Ibis Brussels Centre Sainte Catherine, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to submit a review on Tripadvisor after your stay with us.

We are delighted to learn that your experience has left a lasting positive impression.

My team and I look forward to having the pleasure in welcoming you back for a return visit!

Kind Regards
Somerset England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

The staff were pleasant and its a great location with many local eateries. The hotel is basic and a bit soulless but clean. It had free wifi which was fast. My non smoking room reeked of smoke as did my duvet and pillows ( which makes it difficult for an asthmatic to sleep) otherwise the bed would have been comfortable.

Dear guest,

I would like to take the oportunity to explain our 15 minute contract. First of all I would like to mention that our hotels still has smoking rooms available. We now that not all our guests respect the non smoking signs in our non smoking rooms. Nevertheless, we try to the maximum to keep these rooms smoke free.
If something disturbs you in the room (the smoke for example) please do not hesitate to contact our reception desk to ask for another room. We will be happy to help you.