“Clean hotel, nice breakfast but "lost" my cellphone there”

Ibis Brussels off Grand Place
Ranked #42 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I stayed at Ibis with my family from 5th to 8th January. The loccation is great, clean hotel and nice breakfast for 14 euros per person. I left the hotel on the 8th around 12o´clock and as soon as I arrived in London I realised I had left my cellphone in the room. I called to the hotel the same night and a girl with very poor english couldn´t understand me and hang off the phone while I was talking. I think that was very rude. The morning after I called again, then I talk to a boy recepcionist with better english who gave me an email adress to write to. So I did. And got an answer from the Hotel manager that my phone wasn´t found. I am 100% sure that I left my phone there. It´s a pity, they lost a client and a good recommendation at my travel blog.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank viagemjovem
Pascal A, Gérant at Ibis Brussels off Grand Place, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Thank you very much for your comments about your stay in our hotel. We truly regret that after a good stay in our hotel you discovered that your phone was lost. We follow strict procedures concerning lost objects and I spoke to the persons who were in contact with you by phone and e-mail and the girl who cleaned the room. I'm convinced that if the phone was left in the room this would be directly reported at the responsable. Again we are sorry that your phone was not found in the room.
Kind regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (2,937)

Reviewed January 9, 2014

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed January 8, 2014

The incredible location of the hotel makes up for what it lacks in amenities. They definitely charge for the location because it certainly had the feel of a budget hotel. We also had to change rooms a couple times. The first was because we could clearly hear the conversations the people in the room next to us were having. The second was due to a faulty shower. We finally got settled in a third room which was significantly larger than the one we started in. Rosa, the head housekeeper, facilitated each move and was very helpful and nice about changing us around. She even gave us a drink voucher for the trouble of having to change rooms. That being said, the information we read about the hotel and saw in the rooms is that they pride themselves on sound proofing their rooms. Clearly this was not the case for rooms with adjoining doors or even just adjacent residents as the walls are rather thin. Hallway and street noise isn't bad, but hearing other guests made us feel as though we had to whisper the whole time.

Room Tip: Don't let them put you in a broom cupboard. They have some rooms that barely have room for the b...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Pascal A, Gérant at Ibis Brussels off Grand Place, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post feedback on tripadavisor. I would like to offer my sincere apologies regarding the fact that at arrival you had to change rooms, but I was delighted to read that you Rosa was very helpfull and professional and quickly solved this situation. I will personally share your comments with her. It is through feedback such as yours that we are able to maintain the quality of our service…”

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for it's great location.
Rooms are adequate, but fairly basic.
Disappointing that no coffee or tea making facilities.
Not very soundproof. No noise from outside, but lots of noise from other rooms (doors banging, loos flushing) and guests talking.
Hotel and room seemed very clean, except that one used and smelly towel from previous occupants had been left in our bathroom.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Pascal A, Gérant at Ibis Brussels off Grand Place, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Thank you for posting your comments about your experience at the ibis Brussels Off Grand Place. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. I will discuss your comments with the team. We appreciate your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Great location within walking distance of the Grand Place(just round the corner),underground car park next door. Easy to drive to, and drop off at front door . Reception staff very helpful - pleased to give directions. Rooms not too well sound proofed - noise from out side through windows and hotel corridor inside, but not too disturbing.Rooms are reasonable size. Many cafes for breakfast around the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for the comments you posted on tripadvisor, I will share them with my team.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

We were visiting Brussels and its Christmas market for the first time so tried to find a hotel with a central location and this was almost perfect. You can find hotels closer but the combination of the distance to the grand place, the square it is on and the underground car park next door made it ideal for us. The rooms are basic but clean and the staff friendly. However, the nature of the trip meant we spent little time in the room except to return our many bags of shopping! An ideal hotel if you are driving to Brussels.

• Stayed: December 2013

Thank you very much for recommanding our hotel. We hope we can welcome you again in the future.