“A pleasant oasis in a busy and somehow grubby city”

Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Brussels
Ranked #33 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“A pleasant oasis in a busy and somehow grubby city”
Reviewed August 29, 2010

The stay started with a pleasant surprise - one of the rooms was upgraded to a Executive Suite. Which is great.
The hotel is situated in a very central area . Clean and with a very good service.
Excellent beds and bathrooms.
The breakfast room was very busy, hot and the buffet selection could have been better.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Czech first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Hampshire
Reviewed August 28, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel to celebrate my 40th birthday. The hotel is lovely and in a great position. The hotel is a short walk from Grand Place and central station, but in a quiet street so we had no problem getting a good nights sleep. All of the staff were extremely helpful and very attentive, but not intrusive. The hotel is very clean and comfortable, I would definitely stay here again if I was visiting Brussels. I would like to say a special thank you to Daniela who had taken the time to write a very nice card welcoming us. This was a nice touch and along with many other parts of our holiday made for a very special birthday in Belgium. There is nothing more to say apart from we had a great time and Thank You.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2010

We stayed for 3 nights on the 7th floor, booked through their site. Clean, nice, quiet, organic toiletries, a handwritten welcome note on arrival, free water and fruits. Their Internet connection in the rooms is faster than at home :) and free! Very professional, polite staff ready to help. Comfortable beds. English channels on TV. Sauna and a fitness club are very good and cost 6 euro a day. The location cannot be better: big shopping street Rue Neuve is 2 minute away, St Michel Cathedral is at the back of the hotel, the same as St Hubert Gallery leading to the Grand Place. Plenty for sightseeing and shopping all around the hotel. We did not eat at the hotel as the restaurant was closed (August in Europe!), but there are so many eating places around (meal at the Hemispheres around the corner, sandwiches at Busy Bee at the back of the hotel, beer and tea at Arenberg - one pays 1 euro for a beer from 6 to 7 in the evening). I really enjoyed my stay at the hotel, and maybe because of the hotel I have very good memories of Brussels and its lovely people. Thank you!

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank Tamara07
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2010

I have just returned from a two night stay at the Radisson Blu Brussels for my birthday. The Radisson is in an excellent location just 5 minutes walk from the main square and central station. It is also round the corner from the excellent Brussels bike rental scheme which is a great way to see the city.

I had emailed ahead to Daniela at the Radisson to advise I was staying for my birthday and request a high floor room away from elevator which is my usual preference. Daniela went out of her way to ensure we had an enjoyable stay and well looked after including proving suggestions for our stay and drinks vouchers/discounts at local bars.

I would thoroughly recommend a stay at this hotel as the location and service is excellent. Being a Radisson you also get free wireless.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank p750777
Chingford London
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Have just returned from a two day trip to Brussels to watch my son play football. We got the Eurostar to Brussels and stayed at the Radisson Blu. This hotel is fabulous. The location is great, near to all main attractions. It is clean, modern and the staff are helpful and courteous. I enjoyed my stay there very much and would definately recommend.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Horndean, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2010

We stayed with the Radisson Blu last weekend for 3 nights. As school holiday had commenced the restaurant & main bar had closed, however, there was still the Atruim Lounge which was very pleasant and the location is great for walking to all attractions and restaurants. We stayed in Business class which was worth paying the extra, as connecting to wifi was very easy and free (so no surprises): plus there was bottled water readily available and fresh fruit. My only negative, as a non smoker, despite the room being a non smoking room there was an odour of stale cigarettes and the windows did not open (however, our room faced the Atrium and was very quiet). The breakfast had a fabulous selection and was the food was topped up rather than letting food run out. Great location so sight seeing was very easy. The concierge was knowledgeable and helpful but was not there 24 hours during our stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shell-bell1963
County Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We stayed at the Radisson Blu Royal Hotel for one night as part of a romantic weekend away. I had originally booked for a weekend at the Sandton, but our plans changed and we decided to spend the Saturday night in Luxembourg instead and the special offer I had got at the Sandton through booking.com (180 for 2 nights) did not apply.

I was looking for something luxurious, romantic and a bit special that was near Le Grand Place and the central station so I got a quite good rate with GTA.com - I think it was 119 euros including breakfast.

The staff were excellent at welcoming us on arrival. However they gave us the wrong room number so we could not get into our room. I returned to reception (a hassle which was most unwelcome after a long day) and the receptionist was quite suspicious of me claiming to be in the room I had been told I was in. Only when I produced written proof that I had been told I was in that room did she look upmy name and discovered we were in fact in a completely different room.

"Lucky you did not get into that room with your key" she smiled "That room is occupied by other guests and yours is down the hall"

I was not really that amused!

The interesting feature of the hotel is that the rooms on each floor are themed. Oriental, "At Home" (ultra modern design), Maritime, Executive and Art Deco. I wish that I had been offered a choice as I would have preferred Oriental or Art Deco to Maritime which was very plain.

On check out I asked were they all the same price for all the floors (execept Executive) and was told you could actually request whichever style you wanted and if available you could be accomadated - however the receptiist told me only some floors/rooms had been renovated and told me that I had been fortunate to get the Maritime room we got.

I tink it would be nice if these various styles of rooms were shown on the websites and offered as a choice as I do think it is a lovely idea to have themed floors but raher pointless if you do not get the chance to select your favourite one.

The lobby was quite impressive with glass lifts and huge atrium but the restaurant was closed which did not give a great impression.

Our Maritime room was of a good size, nice tv, very dated movie ptions on the tv, including Julia and Julia which I think was available on subscritption sky movies about 6 months ago! I think the last time I saw it offered as an option on hotel pay per view movies was last year and the rest of the selection of "latest blockbuster movies" was similarly disappointing.

Also the Air-Conditiong leaked on the floor so we had to turn it off.

Yes we could have called reception or even taken them up on their Radisson 100% satisfaction policy but it was late, we were tired and we did not feel up to a vist from repair men or a change of room.

The bathroom was albsolutely lovely with bath and shower - unfortunately I could not work out how on earth the shower controls worked and managed to scald my feet trying. As a veterin of many shower controls over the years this is the only one that managed to best me. It seemed to work OK in the morning for himself, so either the water had cooled down by then or perhaps I just was too tired to work it out.

Breakfast was a bit of a bunfight ( I went down about 9am). I was asked to pay 30 euros for my breakfast as another mix up showed that I was "Excluded" from breakfast. Not a pleasant phrase - I felt as if i was being punished for a previous crime!

As with all the staff I dealt with, however, the retaurant receptionist was charming and understood it was another room number mix-up and allowed me in.

The buffet was impressive and extensive but with so many guests trying to load up with food it was a bit of a cross between the Pamplona Bull Run and a shark feeding frenzy!

As I queued up for an Omlette I noticed that the large silver server containing baked beans, mushrooms and potato cubes was stone cold. Very disapointing at a 5 star hotel.

A really charming and friendly French chef then made a delicious omlette for me but when I asked for onions he told me the kitchen had run out of onions.

What kind of a hotel kitchen runs out of onions, let alone a 5-star one.

As usual my other half had slept through breakfast so I asked for a tray to bring it up to him.

The waitress disappeared for quite a long time and then came back and said "I'm sorry a tray is not possible - only the plate is allowed!". I thought this to be very strange as all around were other wait staff with stacks of trays.

Anyway it did not really matter and as there was tea and coffee making facilities (with not enough coffee or milk for two) in the room I did waht she told me to do and just brought up a plate. Odd, no onions, cold food and a ban on trays!

Check out was another friendly affair with a charming Swiss and Brazilian Receptionist who doubled checked our train times for us and were very professional and friendly.

This time we found our way back to the station on a more diret route which took us about 10 minutes at an easy pace.

I had no idea from the websites that the impressive looking Le Meridien is literally across the road from the central station and if I had known this I think I would have chosen that as my hotel (if not the Sandton or the Dominican).

In our Aerlingus Magazine it recommended both Le Meridien and the Radisson to stay in when visiting Brussels. I wss excited to see they had stamped the word LUXURY beside the Radisson, however, (much unlike the Sofitel Lux Grand Ducal that we stayed in the next night in Luxembourg) I do not consider the Radisson Blu Royal to be very luxurious at all.

Yes it had a lovely reception area, great beds and good sized recently decorated rooms , ice maker/shoe shine or each floor, free wi-fi , extensive buffet and very good staff but leaving aside the issues of lack of organisation (wrong room allotted, attempt to charge me twice for breakfast, cold breakfast, no tray, broken A/C and old movie selection) the Radisson Blu just did not have the luxury WOW factor for us.

On our way to the hotel we stopped for directions at the Sandton (4star)and I was impressed at both the location and the ambience as it is very new. Two guests were arriving and I thought the reception staff were excellent. So I would definitely consider the Sandton in future and indeed in preference to the Radisson Blue Royal.

I also saw the Dominican which was my second choice but I thought it looked too far from the station. In fact it is only a short distance from the Radisson and it looked very very nice!

Also Le Meridien being literally a stone's throw from the central station was very appealing so I have three good options to consider for our next visit.

Our last visit to Brussels we stayed in Le Plaza hotel near the North Train Station and I have to say that the Radisson Blu Royal was imeasurably better that that, as I do not believe Le Plaza deserves to be even graded as 5 star.

I know for one thing that Brussels must have something better than the Radisson Blue Royal to offer those looking for an exciting, glamerous and luxurious hotel near the Grand Place for a romantic weekend!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
RD_Royal_Brussels, Marketing Manager in charge of Sales Support at Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Brussels, responded to this review, July 28, 2010
Dear BonneVoyager,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and please allow me to truly apologize for any inconveniences during you stay with us. It is a real shame that we did not have the chance to meet and discuss your experience still during your stay. Please do keep my contact details (gm.bruzh@radissonblu.com) and I hope that you will give us the chance to make it up to you for your next Brussels stay with 100% dedicated service and a full VIP upgrade.

With kind regards,