“Not as good as previous visits”

Hotel Berlaymont Brussels
Ranked #86 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I like this hotel. I really do. Whenever I am on business in Brussels, it is one of the top 3 I always look to stay at if it falls within my employer's nightly rate limits. I was therefore pleased to be booked in for a one night visit.

The usual standards were met, mostly. The reception staff were friendly and helpful (despite a small confusion with my debit card), for example they kindly offered to print off a document that I needed for my meeting the next day.

However, the room was not quite as good as usual. The air conditioning didn't work, despite making a noise when turned on. I realised this just as I was about to get into bed; the room was very hot despite the "cooler" having been on full-blast for a few hours.

I also found the rather odd duvet annoying. Despite it being a double bed, the duvet was effectively just two singles laid side-by-side. The ability, therefore, to fully take advantage of the size of the bed was lost.

Finally, the shower didn't work. The bath did, but the mechanism to make the water come out of the shower head was inoperable. When in a rush in the morning, a leisurely bath is not an option over a quick shower.

Perhaps I'm being a little unfair. I liked this hotel and still do. Maybe I am holding it up to unfairly high standards. But I still cannot feel that, on this occasion, the hotel deserves only 3/5, rather than the 4/5 I have always given previously.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Breakfast is superb, one of the best one's we have had in a long time. The room was quite run-down, especially curtains and carpet. Still good value for money (the same thing with most of the hotels in the EU district on weekends). Close to the airport bus-stop.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2014

A functional and comfortable hotel in a reasonably central location close to the main European Commission buildings, not far from the tourist centre that at least at weekends (when I stayed) provides excellent value for money. A pity about the fitness suite though, and the one thing that will make me look elsewhere on my next trip - but I know this will be unimportant for many!

This a hotel of 'circles' - Reception is a large almost circular area; one of the lifts is in a circular lift shaft and the restaurant is circular. They clearly like their circles!! I was there for a weekend meeting and Bed and Breakfast cost less that €90, which I was told was a special weekend discount as being in the European Commission area of Brussels the demand for hotel rooms at weekends is low. The hotel is within a short walking distance from the old centre and close to the metro and a €5 journey (and one change) away from the Eurostar terminal.

I liked the public area. The bar on the first floor was narrow but long and had an intimate atmosphere, the circular restaurant had a modern design was roomy and had lots of natural lighting. Breakfast was excellent with a large choice. A definite exception is the so-called fitness suite which had minimal number of machines in a small and rather poky room for which one was expected to pay €10. On my visit it was both unlocked and unattended and served its purpose, but definitely not a modern feel. I did not see the rest of the spa.

My room was clean, reasonably large and well appointed - clearly designed for the business visitor to Brussels - but had a 'functional' feel with only one picture to break up the plainly painted walls. The cathode Ray TV seemed somewhat out of keeping with the rest of the hotel and had a limited range of entertainment channels. There were tea and coffee making facilities, a mini-bar, iron and ironing board, a desk and chair and a small table with two armchairs. The room was large enough and comfortable enough to spend a few hours in if needed, or to work in if there on business. The double bed with side tables had convenient over-bed side lamps and the room was air conditioned. Free wi-fi was fast and worked well.

The staff were efficient, although their approach was business-like rather than friendly although check-in did take some time. All-in-all an average hotel which was however from my perspective excellent value for money.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 6, 2014

According to calendar and various promotions you can have Massive deals on that hotel. Our room was clean despite and old TV (with the cathodic tube!) and the use of a "way to strong" spray to clean the desk it was on! so much that the varnish finish of it was gone! Except that nice bathroom and PILLOWS to replace urgently because they are a bit tired
We frequented the nice bar, but avoided the spa (not included) and the breakfast (28 €/pax!!!!)
A good stay overall but the area is DEAD on Friday's and Saturdays: All the restaurants are close when the European commissions is closed too!!!

Room Tip: choose week ends!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Hotels receive 4 starts by the size of rooms, amenities, etc. But not by how it looks like, quality level etc. This place shows this clearly: The rooms are old, shabby and a bit filthy. My carpet had dirty spots in it any ware. The furniture won't sell anymore in a second had shop etc. It is time to refresh this place. Funny also is that it didn't make any difference if I had my window closed or open: The street noise remained the same. Interesting, never had that before in my life!

The staff is ok, not very friendly, but not unfriendly also.

The bar and restaurant look nice. But the logistics could be better. I ordered a whisky of a certain brand, when I wanted to order a second one, they told me the bottle was enmity and they don't have a new one.

Advice: Avoid this place, or you must be able to get it very cheap.

Room Tip: backside, to avoid street noise
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I was sorely disappointed by the low budget look and feel of the room particularly since it was not a low budget choice. I would never stay here again. A maze of hallways and stairs to navigate and no offer from staff to help with the bags. Honestly the room looks more like it belongs in a nice motel than a business hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Great value at the weekends, and the location is good for the Commission, but the rooms were a bit on the small and dark side, and the reception staff seemed unfriendly. The elevator system seemed confusing: separate elevators serve different room numbers and I was directed to the wrong one - it took ages to get to the room.
Will try somewhere else the next time

Room Tip: Try and get a room in the front part of the hotel. Otherwise, the length of walk feels like being in...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business