“Good Belgian fare”

Ranked #715 of 3,759 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Belgian, Brew Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Institution reconnue depuis 1882. Nos sommes connus pour etre le Roi des Moules-frites et des plats bruxellois. Nous travaillons des produits exclusivement frais de qualite, nos frites sont issues de pomme de terre epluchees, coupees et cuitent dans nos cuisines. Nos sauces sont faites minute a la demande du client comme l'atteste notre cuisine ouverte face a la salle. C'est avec beaucoup de fierte et d'amour que nous accueillons et servons nos nombreux clients. Au plaisir de vous rencontrer prochainement. Recognized institution since 1882. We are known to be the King of mussels-fries and Local Brussels dishes. We work exclusively fresh quality products, our fries come from fresh potatoes, peeled, cut in our kitchens. Our sauces are made "a la minute" on customer demand as they can see our open kitchen facing room. It is with great pride and love we welcome and serve all our customers. Hope to meet you soon. Vincent Braibant Chef and owner.
Reviewed December 7, 2013

When travelling it is always hard to find somewhere to sample 'traditional' food without falling into a tourist trap. Au vieux Bruxelles certainly seemed popular with tourists, with a few different languages being spoken around me, but I don't think it is a tourist trap - just a good traditional Belgian restaurant with great beer and mussels. (there are plenty of other things on there too, but I came for the beer and mussels!).

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I go there every time when someone from abroad is visiting me. I think I have tried already everything in the menu and I have never been disappointed. The selection of typical Belgian food is very good and everything is tasty. I guess I will be back there soon. The only problem (for me) is that they accept only cash - I know that the restaurant is very old, however we have the 21st century now :)

Reviewed October 21, 2013

First, the restaurant doesn't take credit cards. It was a lovely charming little restaurant just brimming with history. The menu is extensive, with lots of native dishes and of course mussels. I had the waterzooi which is a sort of chicken/vegetable stew in the most delicious lemony broth. My daughter had the vol au vent which is shredded chicken in a pastry shell, again in a lovely sauce. The prices are more than reasonable and the service was great. The waitress offered us free house cocktails for dining before 7 p.m. It pays to go early!

Reviewed October 3, 2013

typical belgian restaurant restaurant. from 1882. food was excellent. waiters were very polite and helpful, but there was some waiting time. still the politeness and atmosphere compensates!

Reviewed September 29, 2013

The food was lovely, not cheap but tasty. Very busy and staff overloaded so an extra waiter would make it a lot better. The extra hand might make it more likely that you stay and have desert, coffee, more wine. Don't take credit cards which again makes you more careful when ordering...have I enough cash etc?