“Brussels Belgium”

and up
Brussels Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #33 of 75 Tours in Brussels
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Recently I visited family in Brussels. As a European city it would not impress me. The number of homeless people on the street was quite shocking. I didn't find shopping there any cheaper than Ireland. It has some nice architectural buildings but overall it is not a city I would like to visit again except for having family there. The hotels and restaurants make no effort to add a bit of charm for the tourists. Overall disappointing.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

We joined this tour at the Grand Place bus stop near the Central Train Station in Brussels. Beware, they do not take anything but euros in cash on board if you have not bought the tickets online using a credit card (we had been misled by a phone representative who told us we could pay on the bus using credit cards, so we used up a lot of time finding an ATM at the train station). Also, make sure you are taking the bus for the route you want since there are TWO routes and they don't all take in the same sights (for example, the one we took did not go by the Atomium). Also, you really have to start out in the morning if you want to get on and off and really visit any of the sites because in the afternoon you can't get back on the bus after 4p since they are heading back toward the home base.

On the plus side, the bus driver was pleasant, and the pre-recorded information using the headphones was informative as we toured around, but the length of the cord for the headsets is too short for the person on the outside seat to be able to sit up straight and look around without pulling out the cord! This was really awkward and I couldn't help but notice that many on the bus did not even try to use the headsets, probably for this reason. So, that is a major problem--bring your own universal ear bud headset with a very long cord in case you sit next to someone else (the bus we were on was full to standing room)
This tour could be a lot better, so I hope management will take these tips--stress which route each bus is taking,
make it clear on the website that cash only is accepted on the bus for spontaneous purchase of tickets, and get very long cords for your ear bud sets.

2  Thank Carolyn C
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

First thing: the last departure is at 16h!! That's not acceptable...

I found to expensive...
Trafic was very bad
The driver didn't fallow the normal route (because of the trafic!)

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We had 48 hours in Brussels that then we condensed to 24 hours, as we decided to spend our second day in Belgium touring Bruge instead. I agree with the other reviewers who noted that this tour is a bit "boring", however the tour has two routes which provide first-timers with a good lay of the land. We rode both routes and enjoyed Route 1 more than 2, however Brussels is a large city that has much more to see than the Grand Place and nearby sites, which we would not have experienced had we not rode the bus. Out of all the hop-on/off bus tours I've done in dozens of cities, this was the least enjoyable - however I think it also has something to do with the layout of the city rather than the bus company itself. That being said, I recommend this tour if you have limited time to see the city, and want to have an overview of all the sites available!

2  Thank elizabeth7887
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The hop-on hop-off bus has 2 routes. Line 1 takes the northern route to the Atomium & stops near(ish) to the old city sights of Grand Place, Manneken Pis etc. Route 2 goes south & visits the European Parliament buildings among others (if you really want to be upset about our money being wasted). The Parlamantarium might be of interest to some.
The commentaries don't always keep up with the route & it is made more awkward because the earphones are not only uncomfortable (or is it just my ears that are the wrong shape?), but the cords are very short (a driver told my husband they had got them from China & they are all the same!). It means on many of the seats at least one of you cannot sit back!
The commentary is pretty dull & the languages have a different setting on each bus, & not all are clearly marked, so it takes ages to find the correct one.
It costs E22 for the 2 routes for 24 hours - it's okay is the best I can say.

3  Thank Caryl1948