“Good, but some glitches”
Review of Hotel Amigo

Hotel Amigo
Ranked #3 of 198 Hotels in Brussels
London, United Kingdom
“Good, but some glitches”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel with a perfect location. It is steps from the main square. My room was spacious and with a great bathroom. The bed is fantastic and everything is very clean. The building itself is very nice, with a gorgeous staircase. Breakfast was good and service appropriate. The porters are friendly, and the people at the reception are fine.
I visited with a group for a business meeting, and the worst part of our visit was the catering. The dinner they provided was extremely substandard, even though apparently the restaurant itself is very good. Likewise with the rest of the food provided during our meetings. It is a pity that they did not get their act together on this, because everything else was very nice.

The other negative is the internet charges. Making you pay 20 euros per day to use the internet in this day and age is, in my view, unacceptable in a hotel of this category. It should simply be free. By trying to extract as much as possible from the guest they just leave a sour taste that is completely unnecessary.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Maria M
Eric F, Manager at Hotel Amigo, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Maria M,

I am very appreciative that you took time to share about your recent experience with us.

While I am pleased to read that part of your experience was pleasant, I naturally regret that the catering service failed short of your expectations; please accept my sincere apologies for that.

Also, may I invite you to contact myself in order to find a fruitful recovery to this shortcoming?

Finally, I took good note of your view on the internet fee and am pleased to inform that Rocco Forte Hotels is currently assessing on how to positively evolve with that.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
chelmsford
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We had fond memories of a previous visit and tried to book a similar room. When we arrived it was a little 'compact'. We decided to pay extra and upgrade to a junior suite which was well worth it, full length windows and on the first floor, which give good views of the street below.

Rooms are clean and fresh, but do look a bit dated now, they need a bit of va va voom. The bathroom is old fashioned, but the shower was fantastic. The bed was very comfortable and large with soft, high quality bedding. There were two good TVs with some English channels.

We got a room service meal at 2.00 am which was extremely good, mini bar very expensive, WiFi incredibly expensive, surely in such a good hotel it should be free.

The worst part of the hotel is the bar, it is so drab, the lighting and decor are all wrong, you can't sit at the bar, there's no atmosphere even when full.

Breakfast was included, we only went down once, it finishes at 11.00 am, we arrived at 10.20 am. There were no tables, so we waited with quite a few others for 25 minutes, so still in time, they had run out of eggs, bacon and bread. Orange juice was gone too, a little group of us asked for food and were told it was coming, it didn't and then they started clearing everything away! We asked again and and one plate of mini croissants arrived. The man in charge refused to catch our eye and then I think he hid.

So overall good, but some areas are seriously in trouble.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are bright, junior suites are huge.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank labarkley
Eupen, Belgium
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Very nice and friendly staff, big rooms that are in top shape. Our room was on third floor and to our suprise the noise from the streetlevel was terrible. We could hear music VERY clearly from the streetlevel bar up to 4 am, and after that you could hear traffic.

On tuesday morning – just after one night – we checked out and moved to the other hotel.

-eric

Room Tip: If you must stay here, ask for non-streetside room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Rosso997
Eric F, Manager at Hotel Amigo, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Rosso997,

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to share about your experience with us.

As you know, Hotel Amigo Brussels is located in the heart of Brussels historical downtown and can be prone to noise disturbances from other neighboring venues.

As a matter of fact, Hotel Amigo Brussels is currently undertaking steps with the local authorities in order to remedy to these disturbances.

Having said that, the hotel features inner-view rooms which are quiet and I deeply regret we did not have the opportunity to present you with these as a recovery to your discomfort.

Should you give us another chance in the future, I would be more than happy to assist you.

los angeles, California, USA
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed here one night for a weekend away in Belgium, I travelled with a friend to tourist around. The location was great, right in the heart of Brussels by Grand - Place, the large tourist destination where the buildings face eachother in a town square area. It was supoer easy to get around and walk to different destinations, the main train station was only a 10 minute walk. The hotel room was clean and had large windows, loved that the turndown service at night included leaving water bottles for us! Shower and ammenties as expected and pricing was very reasonable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank TravelAround24
Eric F, Manager at Hotel Amigo, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am grateful that you took time to share your impressions in regards to your recent stay with us.

My colleagues and I are thrilled to read that you had a memorable moment with us and we eagerly look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Europe
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed over easter in an executive room. We were assigned a room on the 3rd floor away from the street, but requested a room on a higher floor facing the street. We were assigned room #611 which was very well appointed and had a view of the town hall. I agree with other posters that street noise (people, not cars!) could be an issue if you had the window open, but since it was so cold when we stayed, it was not an issue. The windows remained firmly shut!

Nice touches for our 2 1/2 year old: the hotel laid on easter egg decoration workshops and an egg hunt, there was a toddler-sized bathrobe, and we could keep the stroller downstairs in the luggage room.

Staff were woderful throughout. The concierge even came up with a dinner recommendation that was perfect for going out with a toddler, both for the child and for us.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 6th floos have french windows and a (very small) balcony.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Tom_the_Tourist
Eric F, Manager at Hotel Amigo, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your praises on the occasion of your recent visit at the Amigo Brussels.

I was very happy to read that your toddler enjoyed our Kids Easter egg activity and that the Concierge team was able to suggest a bespoke recommendation.

We all look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

New York City
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights at the Amigo as part of a longer trip to Europe. The location is excellent as has been noted by others. I would like to highlight the wonderful staff at the Concierge desk, especially Jean and Marc. They were very helpful with restaurant reservations, trains to Bruges,etc. But the best was Marc's continued assistance when our bullet train to Paris was delayed. Marc got us on the next train with seats( in a standing room only hectic train) and continued to follow up with us when we arrived in Paris to be sure that we had transportation to our hotel there. It was exceptional service and very appreciated. Who says your experience ends when you check out! Walter B. from USA

Room Tip: We stayed in room 306 to have a quiet experience. Wonderful room with sun and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank walterb898
Eric F, Manager at Hotel Amigo, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear walterb898,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us such a wonderful review following your recent visit.

I am very thrilled to read that Jean and Marc have been of a great assistance. I have shared your words as it gives them great pride to learn that they have succeeded in assisting you.

With kindest regards I remain,

Rooms Division Manager
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My wife and I recently went for a short trip, primarily to London. We did a short two day trip from London to Brussels having never been to the city before. I did my research and came up with this property as the place to stay. I want to simply say that the location and the staff could not have been better. Gregory Montens, the desk manager, made certain that even though our trip was a short one, it would be a memorable one and he did a great job in following through. From direction assistance to recomendations for places to see and eat he and the staff were fantastic. The rooom we had was also great, clean, spacious and frankly very comfortable. I am planning a return trip in May and if we get to Brussels this will be the hotel we will stay at without hesitation.

Room Tip: A higher room for us worked best!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael G
Eric F, Manager at Hotel Amigo, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Michael G.,

We are delighted that you had a memorable experience with us at the Amigo Brussels.

Gregory is deeply appreciative of your praise.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in May!